U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 07:15 PM

18,632 posts, read 9,725,243 times

Advertisements

I can't remember the last time I looked at a dessert menu that didn't have some options that included fruit and fruit flavors in them.

Florals, yes, those are admittedly rarer/less popular in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 07:21 PM

3,840 posts, read 10,024,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Quietly raises hand while trying to look sane.
I hate chocolate. YUCK! Desserts with rose or orange water are actually quite lovely.
As my dear old Dad used to say "It takes all kinds..."
Don't like chocolate!!!

And just when we've closed all the asylums...

Old 01-06-2018, 08:17 PM

31,043 posts, read 56,785,625 times
Oh, good grief. Another idiotic assumption.

How many dozens and dozens of desserts are made with fruit, from strawberry shortcake to pineapple upside down cake?

Old 01-06-2018, 09:45 PM

40,086 posts, read 32,009,355 times
There are many fruit pies and cobblers that are common in the US.

Also, sticky rice with mango is easy to find and it's usually good.

Strawberry shortcake, anyone?

Key Lime Pie?

Lemon sherbet?

Trifles?

Cheesecakes?

Sorbets?

Fruitcake?

Coconut macaroons?

Banana pudding?

Bananas Foster?

Ambrosia?

Apple crisp?

King cake?

Lemon squares?

Waldorf pudding?

Watergate Salad?

Too many types of pies to mention?

Old 01-06-2018, 10:16 PM

5,994 posts, read 3,578,960 times
Scones. Various fruit flavors.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:31 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,489,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Having perused scores of restaurant menus across North America and the world, and looking at the kind of recipes my friends share on social media, I notice that desserts in NA are primarily different permutations of the same ingredients: flour, sugar, butter, eggs, chocolate, peanut butter, oreos, nutella, and in the best case, vanilla, cinnamon or lemon/lime. Creme brulee is the highest of the high end dessert, whereas that stuff is considered pretty mundane in Europe. Fruity flavors, or anything with rose, violet or other floral tastes, are rare or nonexistent.

On the other hand, desserts across Europe, the Middle East, India and Asia all share one thing in common: a love of floral and fruity flavors.

I guess climate could be one explanation but it's a weak one. The Southern US grows far more varieties of fruits than the UK, but the UK is the one with the more elegant desserts (but still considered stodgy by continental European standards).

I'm fed up of looking at "Tasty" abominations with the same old boring ingredients! Shove the chocolate oreo cream pie and give me one with rose and mango instead.
Creme brulee is considered pretty mundane in many American cities as well. America is a big country with a lot of people who have drastically different tastes. You simply need to go to better places and/or those which suit your tastes better than the ones you have been to. Given your comments, it seems that your level of experience here is fairly narrow. Also, if you're simply looking online at menus for your evidence, that's a mistake as most restaurants worth a damn rarely maintain a constant dessert menu. They often change on a frequent basis and are left to the whim of the pātissier.

Here are two examples in the mid-west from a single restaurateur which pretty much blow your claim out of the water -- http://albatrosbrasserie.com/le-menu/les-desserts/
http://chinatocleveland.com/menu/dessert/dessert/

Last edited by Cleveland_Collector; 01-06-2018 at 11:05 PM..

Old 01-06-2018, 10:48 PM

12,448 posts, read 9,972,975 times
I really like rose-flavored Turkish delight and the fruity and floral blancmange flavors.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:48 PM

35,749 posts, read 38,849,708 times
Hipsters seem to like floral flavorings. Lavender-infused shortbread, caramels, etc. got big a few years back with the "artisans desserts" crowd.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:09 PM

5,812 posts, read 5,661,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Who in their right mind would choose rose flavor over chocolate?

Somebody with a more refined and sophisticated palate.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:34 PM

890 posts, read 591,510 times
Fruit pies are popular in the US (peach, apple, key lime, blueberry, etc). What are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink