U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:44 PM

890 posts, read 597,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Somebody with a more refined and sophisticated palate.

How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 12:18 AM

25,409 posts, read 14,500,015 times
It is lower middle class/middle class stereotyping. I'm sure the same can be said about other cultures too.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:21 AM

5,830 posts, read 3,302,475 times
OP, I've never seen an Oreo cream pie, much less tasted one. And Oreo cookies seem to be favored only by certain people, not most.

Do you actually consider the citron etc in fruitcake to be "fruit"? In the US fruit means fresh strawberries, peaches, blackberries, blueberries, apricots, kewi, banana, apples, etc. I remember seeing a lovely looking cake in a bakery in London, but when I bought it the lovely red filling between the cake layers was red jello!! I had expected it to be real berry filling like we use here in the us.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:37 AM

22,707 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Fruit pies are popular in the US (peach, apple, key lime, blueberry, etc). What are you talking about?
Blinders? People from North America, or more probably the US, love Oreos and peanut butter.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:47 AM

20,505 posts, read 25,705,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Having perused scores of restaurant menus across North America and the world, and looking at the kind of recipes my friends share on social media, I notice that desserts in NA are primarily different permutations of the same ingredients: flour, sugar, butter, eggs, chocolate, peanut butter, oreos, nutella, and in the best case, vanilla, cinnamon or lemon/lime. Creme brulee is the highest of the high end dessert, whereas that stuff is considered pretty mundane in Europe. Fruity flavors, or anything with rose, violet or other floral tastes, are rare or nonexistent.

On the other hand, desserts across Europe, the Middle East, India and Asia all share one thing in common: a love of floral and fruity flavors.

I guess climate could be one explanation but it's a weak one. The Southern US grows far more varieties of fruits than the UK, but the UK is the one with the more elegant desserts (but still considered stodgy by continental European standards).

I'm fed up of looking at "Tasty" abominations with the same old boring ingredients! Shove the chocolate oreo cream pie and give me one with rose and mango instead.
Rosewater is available in ethnic grocery stores.

Back in the 50s & 60s, I remember seeing candied violets, violas, & pansies as garnishes & decorations on baked goods. The candied flowers were always handmade by elderly women. As they died off, the candied flowers vanished. I've tried violet flavored imported candies several times. I wasn't moved to buy them again, any time I've tried them. There just aren't enough available to create a market. There are some dried flowers available in Asian markets.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:05 AM

6,024 posts, read 5,798,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
How so?

I don't really understand what you're asking me. "How so" what? Are you asking me how it is that some people have more refined and sophisticated palates, or are you asking why it is that rose is more refined and sophisticated than chocolate?

Chocolate is an oily, heavy, overpowering, robust and cloying flavour that is delicious and has wonderfully good mouth feel but it clings to the taste buds and the lining of the mouth and throat for too long. It's so robust and long lasting that it can even go well with and be complemented by chili peppers without being overpowered by the chili. It is not refined and is therefore suitable to people with less refined palates and/or with poorly developed taste buds. Chocolate is very appealing to children for example. They don't have well developed taste buds yet (that comes with growth) and they don't have sophisticated tastes (that comes with older age and education).

Rose is such a light, airy, delicate almost fruity citrus flavour that it may be barely perceptible to people who have poorly developed taste buds, less refined palates and are better satisfied by much stronger or overpowering flavours. Rose is more appealing to adults with highly developed taste buds and the sophisticated training in how to use not only the taste buds on the top of the tongue but on all sides of the tongue and all other parts of the mouth to detect the varieties, nuances, shades of flavour available in a single flavour or a multitude of flavours at once. People with such heightened senses may tend to find delicate flavours more appealing than robust flavours that overpower the senses.

A person's sense of taste and choice of flavours has nothing to do with whether or not that person is in their right mind and it shouldn't be suggested that a person is not in their right mind to prefer a delicate and airy flavour like rose over a robust and cloying flavour like chocolate.

I like both rose and chocolate in moderation. I like a variety of flowers for cooking and flavouring and I grow many types of different flavoured flowers specifically for that purpose. Some of them are strong enough they even go very well with chocolate.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:24 AM

4,522 posts, read 1,943,217 times
Fruit cobblers and fruit ice cream are pretty popular in the summer.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:08 AM

27,498 posts, read 17,642,239 times
America is a pretty big place, and while I agree the tendency is towards the flavors you cited, it depends on where you are.

Fruit based cobblers and pies are really common, as is panecotta. Here is in Hawaii, lychee and mango are are an everyday thing you can find on menus everywhere.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-07-2018, 06:16 AM

9,272 posts, read 7,295,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Somebody with a more refined and sophisticated palate.

Liking rose doesn't make one more refined or sophisticated.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:36 AM

8,836 posts, read 8,173,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Liking rose doesn't make one more refined or sophisticated.
And I have found any rose-infused food I've ever tasted "heavy, overpowering, and cloying." I don't even like the smell of the flower, which my mother grew in our back yard in profusion, allowing me plenty of exposure to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink