U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:13 AM

6,352 posts, read 2,317,497 times

Advertisements

I'm American I haven't commonly seen rose or violet flavors, except in specialty ice cream shops or international grocery stores. And that was only starting about ten years ago.

I think American palate is heavily focused on chocolate. It's in many desserts.

I personally love mango but don't see it a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 11:14 AM

6,352 posts, read 2,317,497 times
Also, I get tired of the dessert menus at chain restaurants in America. It's always the same desserts. Usually something they can heat up and pile ice cream on top, which takes little effort.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:46 AM

2,664 posts, read 951,726 times
The NY Times very recently published their recipe of the week: raspberry rose sable cookies. You must have missed it.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:55 AM

6,000 posts, read 5,778,552 times
I think it's important to mention here that rose water does not taste like roses, likewise with orange blossom water and many other types of flower waters.

The various flower waters are just steam distillations of flowers and the concentrated distillations never taste the same as the actual flowers. Flower waters are generally produced and used to impart their aroma, not for their taste, and they must be diluted and used in minute amounts. Some flower distillations smell good but have a foul chemical or rotted vegetation taste to them because the product has been adulterated with other things while the nectars and essential oils have been skimmed away for other commercial profit. Flower waters that smell good but taste bad need to have their flavours masked by other flavours when they're used in cooking.

If one wants to cook foods that have the genuine sweet floral taste and aroma of a particular type of flower in it they need to use the actual flower blossoms, not a commercially produced steamed derivative whose essential oils and flavours have been corrupted or removed.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:58 AM

27,354 posts, read 17,581,570 times
I have bought bottles of both rose water and orange blossom water. The rose water tasted like roses to me, which is not a flower I am fond of.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 01-07-2018, 12:25 PM

2,424 posts, read 1,039,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Who in their right mind would choose rose flavor over chocolate?
Me, however I am not a food snob, I like pretty much any dessert
Not a big chocolate fan but oh my keep the peanut butter desserts away from me, I LOVE anything peanuty. I love violet sweets too and nasturtiums on salads.. there are many desserts I miss that are rare to find here in the USA but I don't feel the lack of them here make the choices here inferior or lacking?

Old 01-07-2018, 12:59 PM

51,101 posts, read 50,409,518 times
Given that the quintessential American dessert is apple pie, I'd say Americans do like fruity flavors. There are tons of fruity desserts, though not so many of the florals.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:02 PM

6,000 posts, read 5,778,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have bought bottles of both rose water and orange blossom water. The rose water tasted like roses to me, which is not a flower I am fond of.

If you don't mind me asking, have you tried eating several species of rose petals for comparison? Have you eaten dog rose, or wild Pacific coast rose petals for example? They taste like tangy citrus fruits with a hint of a rosie aroma, they don't taste like flowers. Then there's rosa rugosa petals which have a very faint rose aroma but have the highest Vitamin C content of all other rose species and they taste like ripe apricots and make the very best rose petal preserves. So too do the large lucious rose hips of rugosa roses make the very best rose hip jams and jellies.

There are so many species of roses and they don't all smell or taste the same. Some kinds smell wonderful and taste horrible so they are only good for making perfumes, while some taste delicious but have no aroma to speak of. And some look beautiful and are long lasting as cut flowers but they have no pleasing aroma and no taste to speak of other than an unpleasant, lingering musty earthiness.

The same can be said for the flowers of lavenders, rosemary, thyme, bee balm, pansies, violets, etc. etc., there are several types and hybrids of each species and none of them taste alike. For example English culinary lavender tastes good and is cultivated for cooking, but French lavender which looks beautiful, and smells quite different from English, tastes absolutely disgusting. All species of orange blossoms have a pleasant aroma and citrusy flavor but only the blossoms of bitter orange can provide the best orange blossom water.

So if you're going to buy bottles of flower waters of any kind you should really know what is the best type to get and have experience with eating the actual flowers themselves for comparison when taste testing.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:03 PM

51,101 posts, read 50,409,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I love roses, but I don't want to drink them or flavor my food with them.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:23 PM

27,354 posts, read 17,581,570 times
The bottles are not common, so I bought what was available in order to play with them (cooking wise).

Like wine and honey (and everything), I am sure there are all different types of flavors associated by the type/region etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink