U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:41 PM

9,499 posts, read 6,629,150 times

Advertisements

I remember buying flower chewing gum in Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 01:45 PM

5,142 posts, read 5,211,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The bottles are not common, so I bought what was available in order to play with them (cooking wise).

Like wine and honey (and everything), I am sure there are all different types of flavors associated by the type/region etc.
Yes, exactly. Regions and their soil conditions and climates and even the elevations that they're grown in especially play a huge part in the different flavours of so many types of fruits and flowers. The origins and habitats of so many types of coffees is a prime example to illustrate such differences.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:45 PM

8,092 posts, read 6,418,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I totally agree with you about that. But I think you have taken my comment out of context and read something else into it that was not said. I never said that liking rose oranything else makes anyone more refined or sophisticated. A palate is not a person.

My comment stands. How does liking a certain flavor profile indicate the refinement or sophistication of one's palate?

Old 01-07-2018, 01:46 PM

24,409 posts, read 15,758,760 times
Violet candies are popular here.

What I can't find is an herbaceous gum or hard candy, preferably sugar free. The closest is Ricola.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 01-07-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
My comment stands. How does liking a certain flavor profile indicate the refinement or sophistication of one's palate?

I already explained that in post # 26. Perhaps you missed it.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Violet candies are popular here.

What I can't find is an herbaceous gum or hard candy, preferably sugar free. The closest is Ricola.

Yes, I agree with that. About the closest you will come (here in North America anyway) is Ricola.

BUT - you can make your own hard candy from scratch out of herbs of your choice - or the next best thing is you can make hard candy out of Jägermeister herbal liqueur https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A4germeister which is utterly delicious and made from 56 herbs and spices and can be used medicinally as well as an aperitif. When you cook down the Jägermeister to make your candy of course most of the sharp alcohol in it will evaporate off as it's condensing but the wonderful herbal flavours in it remains the same. Makes wonderful candies.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:03 PM

687 posts, read 312,600 times
Quote:
I already explained that in post # 26. Perhaps you missed it.

I think you have oversimplified a bit. Palates are not simply refined or unrefined... Rather they are specialized. I, for example, have spent many years roasting coffee and cupping it. I can tell a good coffee from a bad one. I can often tell you the roast profile and region from taste, I pick up all kinds of subtle flavors most don't notice, and I detest artificial flavors, sweeteners, milks and creamers because they detract from my favorite delicacy...

And yet I can't tell wines apart, prefer to drink them as a spritzer or in sangria, ice them to numb their taste, and have zero interest in swirling, sniffing and chewing them.

I imagine some people know a lot about florals (as demonstrated up thread) and other people probably have very refined opinions on types and preparations of chocolate. You make it seem like it's plebs vs the refined and that simply is not true.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:04 PM

24,409 posts, read 15,758,760 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree with that. About the closest you will come (here in North America anyway) is Ricola.

BUT - you can make your own hard candy from scratch out of herbs of your choice - or the next best thing is you can make hard candy out of Jägermeister herbal liqueur https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A4germeister which is utterly delicious and made from 56 herbs and spices and can be used medicinally as well as an aperitif. When you cook down the Jägermeister to make your candy of course most of the sharp alcohol in it will evaporate off as it's condensing but the wonderful herbal flavours in it remains the same. Makes wonderful candies.

OMG. What a wonderful idea. Thank you!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 01-07-2018, 02:11 PM

11,507 posts, read 5,926,799 times
Americans generally prefer rich, over the top desserts with chocolate being the preferred flavoring. Used to be people ate a lot of pies - obviously fruity. Also cakes, which tended to be somewhat lighter and milder in flavor.

I love sorbets and gelatos and am discovering some interesting floral flavors they use like lavender. It's subtle - you don't get knocked over by it but you also don't feel sick afterwards like you've eaten too much.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:54 PM

1,976 posts, read 634,353 times
Americans prefer what they're used to and grew up eating. If we had grown up eating like Europeans, we'd have similar likes and dislikes. Even within the US, tastes vary some depending on what area you grew up in and what kinds of indigenous and foreign foods you were exposed to.

I agree about rose/orange water being regional for taste, like honey can be. However, the cookie recipe I had that wanted rose asked for pure rose extract, not rosewater. There was a chat about why anyone would pay $15 for a bottle of something and use 1/4 tsp. in a recipe - but you can see that it was used sparingly, and even brand names were given to ensure you didn't get a mouthful of horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or