U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 12:07 PM

3,150 posts, read 3,283,968 times

Advertisements

Having perused scores of restaurant menus across North America and the world, and looking at the kind of recipes my friends share on social media, I notice that desserts in NA are primarily different permutations of the same ingredients: flour, sugar, butter, eggs, chocolate, peanut butter, oreos, nutella, and in the best case, vanilla, cinnamon or lemon/lime. Creme brulee is the highest of the high end dessert, whereas that stuff is considered pretty mundane in Europe. Fruity flavors, or anything with rose, violet or other floral tastes, are rare or nonexistent.

On the other hand, desserts across Europe, the Middle East, India and Asia all share one thing in common: a love of floral and fruity flavors.

I guess climate could be one explanation but it's a weak one. The Southern US grows far more varieties of fruits than the UK, but the UK is the one with the more elegant desserts (but still considered stodgy by continental European standards).

I'm fed up of looking at "Tasty" abominations with the same old boring ingredients! Shove the chocolate oreo cream pie and give me one with rose and mango instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 12:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,660,352 times
Barring cinnamon and citrus, the flavors you named come from the west. I guess we just made use of them. Chocolate and peanuts are both western. So is the vanilla orchid. And coffee. Although you didn't mention, we cook with it.
And Europe couldn't wait to get her hands on all of these exciting new flavors.

I can only speak for Americans, but yes, we love nuts....but fruit too. What about the All-American apple pie? It's even called that. Exotic fruits you say? I live in Florida at the time, and can introduce you to hundreds of tropical fruit dishes, some of which I make myself.

I will agree with you on the florals. Not many Americans that I know of cook with them.

And it could also be whose not a world-traveller. If someone is not exposed to different tastes, they may not pick them up.

Speaking of florals, I just finished making a batch of rose-creams for New Years. So perhaps it's just the person. I'm sure plenty of others will chime in with their ideas. Oh, and my mom loved cooking with violets. She made cakes with edible gold leaf too.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:19 PM

15,214 posts, read 8,552,273 times
Flavoring desserts with rose water in the United States became markedly less common with the introduction of vanilla, which is native to the Americas. I suppose you could chalk it up to a local foods issue.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-06-2018, 04:54 PM

20,857 posts, read 10,486,721 times
Who in their right mind would choose rose flavor over chocolate?

Old 01-06-2018, 05:30 PM

3,224 posts, read 1,801,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Who in their right mind would choose rose flavor over chocolate?
Quietly raises hand while trying to look sane.
I hate chocolate. YUCK! Desserts with rose or orange water are actually quite lovely.
As my dear old Dad used to say "It takes all kinds..."

Old 01-06-2018, 05:38 PM

11,468 posts, read 16,252,993 times
SO does not like chocolate. I really do not care. Bite sized tartes are my labor of love in summer - whatever fruit is in season but strawberry.

Have looked at pie selections in just every mom and pop or chain restaurant? Strudels? Chocolate dipped fruit? Fruit salads with brunch, waffles topped with fruit for breakfast, ....

Can you please give me a delightful UK desert?

Old 01-06-2018, 05:40 PM

4,254 posts, read 6,264,642 times
All kinds... "rose water" tastes like stale water to me, haven't had "orange water".

Personally, I'm a big fan of tart and tangy (lemon being the most common that you can actually find out and about, but tart cherries are right there too and I imagine I'd like stuff with lime). I suffer from anosmia (no sense of smell) so "subtle" is completely lost on me. I have to have something that's taste-bud perceptible.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:22 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,500,167 times
I had a strawberry milkshake for dessert today. Does that count ?

Old 01-06-2018, 06:40 PM

9,659 posts, read 5,710,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
SO does not like chocolate. I really do not care. Bite sized tartes are my labor of love in summer - whatever fruit is in season but strawberry.

Have looked at pie selections in just every mom and pop or chain restaurant? Strudels? Chocolate dipped fruit? Fruit salads with brunch, waffles topped with fruit for breakfast, ....

Can you please give me a delightful UK desert?
I admit I'm a chocoholic but as to the above post, I love strudels - apple, cherry, raspberry, ...
Fresh out of the oven with a slight bit of cooling so I don't burn the roof of my mouth.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:52 PM

2,962 posts, read 6,540,789 times
If you think Creme Brle is the highest of the high end desserts offered on American and Canadian menus you are looking in the wrong places. There are many nuanced flavors that are appreciated all over the world, if you really think all North American people eat oreo cream pie you are not as worldly as you pretend to be.

If you are coming over for a visit and would like some recommendations on places to dine that may be up to your standards let us know, we're happy to point you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink