Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 07:00 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,271,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Frozen home run inn pizza (Chicago area)
I'll agree but I would rather have a Falcos pizza. (Chicago as well)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 07:01 PM

7,968 posts, read 10,534,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Frozen home run inn pizza (Chicago area)
This is our family's favorite pizza. Fortunately, we are usually able to find it here in North Carolina. The crust is excellent.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:02 PM

7,968 posts, read 10,534,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Duke's mayonnaise. When I lived in Virginia many moons ago I fell deeply in love with it. They do not sell it up in Massachusetts. I can get it from Amazon but at much higher price. I stock up every trip I take down south. I also have friends and relatives bring it up for me when they travel.
Funny, we are in North Carolina and can, obviously, get all the Dukes mayo we want, but I still love my Hellman's (can't completely eradicate the Yankee in me, I guess).

Old 01-07-2018, 10:18 PM

11,900 posts, read 8,218,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

One of my sisters still goes to a favorite Polish deli/grocery for me and buys sausage. She brings it to me in a cooler or I bring one with me when I'm there.

I had an uncle who inherited the family Polish deli on Michigan Ave, in Blue Island in Chicago. He used to send us the best Polish sausage. I can't tell you how many Polish sausages I've bought over the years trying to find that good flavor again.

It's no use. Minnesotans can't make Polish sausage!

Old 01-07-2018, 10:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,909,073 times
I had barely discovered the joys of Duke's mayo in St. Louis, before I moved. That is seriously good mayo. Can't get it here.

I can't get Krinos Kalamata Olives here. I'd love a jar of the pitted Kalamatas.

And, I would love an oven stuffer chicken to roast. The chickens here are so lame. Oven Stuffers are the best. I loved roasting them. I think they are Perdue brand? Can't get that brand here.

Some of this stuff can be found at Amazon, by the way. So, if you truly want something you can't find locally, you can always look on Amazon.

Can't buy an Oven Stuffer on Amazon though!

Old 01-07-2018, 11:27 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,748,866 times
Banbury Cakes and jellied eels.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:13 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,529,838 times
Duke's Mayo fans:

The Duke's website has a store locator. For some reason, it does not list Aldi, although that is where we get ours. If you are looking for it and have an Aldi in your town, you might try looking there. Aldi is also where I discovered Kerrygold Irish butter, which is now the only kind I will use.

I would have someone send me salmon jerky. It's a popular snack in Alaska, but no one here has ever heard of it. I also wish I could find Breakstone sour cream and Skyline chili.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 01-08-2018 at 04:33 AM..

Old 01-08-2018, 07:57 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,683,996 times
Fresh Gourmet Garlic and Ginger Wonton Strips. The stores here carry the Fresh Gourmet brand but not the wonton strips. I ended up ordering a case from Amazon and spreading it among friends that I have converted.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:50 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,223,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I had an uncle who inherited the family Polish deli on Michigan Ave, in Blue Island in Chicago. He used to send us the best Polish sausage. I can't tell you how many Polish sausages I've bought over the years trying to find that good flavor again.

It's no use. Minnesotans can't make Polish sausage!
It's quite possible that your uncle's store was one my grandmother shopped at. I can't recall the name of the place she always went, but they lived in Hazel Crest so Blue Island is possible. My sister now goes to a place in Calumet City.

Except in NW Indiana, Hoosiers don't know how to make Polish sausage either. My husband who grew up in central Indiana never had real, fresh Polish sausage and sauerkraut until he met me and spent a holiday with us. It's now one of his favorites.

I recently discovered though that a small chain grocery, Fresh Thyme, makes a pretty decent fresh Polish sausage. I suspect it's because the store has some Chicago connection. They have a few stores in MN. They often have it on sale for $3.00/lb so I buy extra.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 AM

67,637 posts, read 60,153,461 times
I have a sweet friend who is from Lafayette, Louisiana and she knows that my husband and I love real Cajun food, so whenever she drives down and back visiting her mom (she lives in Fort Worth and we live in the Tyler area), she stops in and brings us boudain.

I have another friend who always brings us a king cake from New Orleans if she's down there during Mardi Gras season.

So I can get my Cajun on!

Now, to be honest, Cajun cuisine is not my favorite, because to me it's too much the same and much of it is just tooooooo heavy. I rarely actually cook Cajun food. But I like having it every once in awhile.

Thankfully around here (northeast Texas) since we're not far from the Louisiana border and have a lot of Louisiana influence, we are able to buy chicory coffee as well as good beignet mixes. So if I want a taste of Cafe DuMonde I can get it!

But it's hard to find a "real" king cake around here. The local grocery stores carry something like king cakes during Mardi Gras but there's nothing like a real one straight from Antoines in New Orleans! Well, Metairie - almost the same thing.
http://www.antoinesfamouscakes.com/store/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink