U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 11:54 AM

2,153 posts, read 718,537 times

Advertisements

I have a pretty spread out family and every one of them is looking for some food item that they've used all their lives and can't find where they live now. My aunt in NY wants a can of plums - has to be canned, it's for a recipe her granddaughters love. My SIL in Oregon wants Maggi sauce, the regular one that she used to be able to pick up anywhere. I want ramen noodles, Asian varieties. And yes, you can buy most of this by mail, but a caseload of 8-10 cans of plums would end up being bequeathed to someone since auntie makes one plum cake every year for Christmas, which I assume is why you can no longer find them anywhere.

We are all looking out for each other's foods (except the aunt, she's disabled) and I started wondering about a food swap. I wish I could post on a board what I want and easily pick up what someone else wants from my area and trade.

What would you post for if someone would mail you one?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 11:58 AM

3,025 posts, read 1,700,657 times
Duke's mayonnaise. When I lived in Virginia many moons ago I fell deeply in love with it. They do not sell it up in Massachusetts. I can get it from Amazon but at much higher price. I stock up every trip I take down south. I also have friends and relatives bring it up for me when they travel.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:14 PM

25,138 posts, read 16,257,460 times
We kinda food swap during annual vacations. When they come here they bring me stuff from Trader Joe's and the like.

We are going to them in Cali, and Mom has requested spicy SPAM and a caramel/macadamia nut popcorn.

In the past we have brought portguese sausage, lau lau and kalua pig.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 01-07-2018, 12:16 PM

18,542 posts, read 1,674,637 times
I stock up when we go to the city ( San Francisco) Mail is too expensive.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:28 PM

4,512 posts, read 2,679,250 times
Mackintosh toffee, Regal Crown sours. They are candies which sometimes used to be available when I was a child. I've heard that Nestle's now makes Mackintosh and that you can find it through Walmart but I'll bet it's not as rich and good as it used to be.

Sometimes I have trouble finding canned, pitted sour cherries.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:38 PM

5,270 posts, read 6,623,708 times
When we first moved here from the Chicago area 16 years ago I was surprised I couldn't find some foods and brands I typically bought. I didn't use them all of the time, but they were "necessary." All of our trips there after included a grocery store stop and still does. I stocked up on Pastorelli pizza sauce, a certain brand of tortillas that taste homemade (and made in the Chicago area), Gonnella or Turano rolls and French bread, a really good brand of organic bread, giardinella, Polish sausage and a few other things.

One of my sisters still goes to a favorite Polish deli/grocery for me and buys sausage. She brings it to me in a cooler or I bring one with me when I'm there.

Oddly enough Walmart now carries the pizza sauce, but I still stock up on stuff when I'm up there. Most of it freezes well.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Duke's mayonnaise. When I lived in Virginia many moons ago I fell deeply in love with it. They do not sell it up in Massachusetts. I can get it from Amazon but at much higher price. I stock up every trip I take down south. I also have friends and relatives bring it up for me when they travel.
I just put my jar of Duke's mayonnaise down the sink because it was so long expired. I use so little and it doesn't come in small jars, but cost less than the other brands' big jars, so I got stuck with it. So sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Mackintosh toffee, Regal Crown sours. They are candies which sometimes used to be available when I was a child. I've heard that Nestle's now makes Mackintosh and that you can find it through Walmart but I'll bet it's not as rich and good as it used to be.

Sometimes I have trouble finding canned, pitted sour cherries.
NYC was full of Regal Crown sours and I saw canned pitted sour cherries when I was looking for canned plums. The same brand.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:51 PM

6,314 posts, read 3,037,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I just put my jar of Duke's mayonnaise down the sink because it was so long expired. I use so little and it doesn't come in small jars, but cost less than the other brands' big jars, so I got stuck with it. So sorry.
It does come in small jars. It may be that your store just doesn't carry them. I buy 8oz jars because I use it so infrequently.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It does come in small jars. It may be that your store just doesn't carry them. I buy 8oz jars because I use it so infrequently.
Thanks, at least now I know it exists.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:54 PM

3,326 posts, read 1,286,987 times
Frozen home run inn pizza (Chicago area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or