U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 02:03 PM

12,449 posts, read 9,458,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
...we used to be able to buy very small cans of Pork and Beans. Almost totally beans with one chunk of pork fat. That made a great lunch. Can't find those small cans any more...
I buy those small cans all the time. It's just enough for a single serving of beans on toast. Bush's offers several varieties in the small cans, and they all have that single piece of bacon in the can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 02:09 PM

4,832 posts, read 2,772,992 times
I put a tostada shell on a plate, spread on some refried beans, a little hot sauce, and top with any kind of cheese I have. Then mic for 30 secs or so to melt cheese. YUMMMM

Old 01-09-2018, 04:48 PM

1,715 posts, read 3,440,166 times
I love refried beans. HEre is one of my favorite uses:

Seven Layer Dip
2 avocados - peeled, pitted and diced
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup salsa
garlic salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
4 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
16 oz. refried beans
2 cups shredded Mexican-style cheese blend
1 (2.25 ounce) can black olives - drained and finely chopped

1.In a medium bowl, mash the avocados and lime juice. Mix in cilantro, salsa, garlic salt and pepper.
2.In a small bowl, blend the sour cream and taco seasoning.
3.In a 9x13 inch dish or on a large serving platter, spread the refried beans. Top with sour cream mixture. Spread on guacamole. Top with tomatoes, green onions, Mexican-style cheese blend and black olives.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:31 PM

7,160 posts, read 3,887,162 times
i like mine with extra sharp cheddar and some some cream, if im getting fancy, cut up a spring onion, sprinkle on top

Old 01-09-2018, 08:12 PM

8,926 posts, read 15,945,100 times
One of those crisp flat tostada shells spread with a layer of beans, then cheddar, then chopped onion and sometimes salsa or chopped tomato. I also like to add shredded romaine tossed with a lime vinaigrette on top. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:28 PM

1,740 posts, read 726,987 times
I eat them in a bowl with diced avocado, sour cream, and grated cheese on top

I like pintos best

Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 PM

4,334 posts, read 2,571,069 times
I prefer the black beans. Maybe the Cuban boyfriend would be more willing to try refried beans if they were the black variety? Stir a little salsa in for flavor.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:09 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,224,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Oh, it has to be simple in my kitchen. Otherwise I'd starve. Speaking of eating out of the can, we used to be able to buy very small cans of Pork and Beans. Almost totally beans with one chunk of pork fat. That made a great lunch. Can't find those small cans any more. We can still buy the pork and beans but too much for one lunch.

OK. Side dish with rice. Thank you.
Pork and beans (in the small cans) are not the same as re-fried pintos. You can saute some white onions in some canola oil, add re-fried pintos from a can along with some jarred salsa and a cheese that melts well, such as Monterrey jack. Use as a dip for store-bought tortilla chips, or, as others have suggested, make small tacos with them with tortillas. If you use the microwave to heat them, be careful because the tortillas will dry out quickly. Getting your pintos to a somewhat soupy consistency will help mitigate that problem. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 01-10-2018, 05:36 AM

6,448 posts, read 11,054,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
... A favorite here is tostadas. I dip corn tortillas in hot oil until slightly stiff and drain. Spread with refried beans mixed with a little salsa and top with onions, sliced olives and cheese and run them under the broiler until the cheese melts.
^^^ This, for one idea. Coincidentally, I had tostadas for dinner a couple of nights ago simply because I was craving tacos but had no ground beef ready (it was all in the freezer! ). The tostadas were ALMOST as good -- just a flat tortilla (which I had in my pantry, as I always do) instead of taco-shaped, and refried beans instead of ground beef (very easy to keep a couple of cans of refried beans "at the ready"!). I added the usual taco toppings -- for me, that means taco sauce, cheese, diced onions, lots of lettuce, chopped tomatoes, a bit of sour cream, avocado if I have it (which I did, this time!) -- and they tasted great.

I've also had refried beans with cheese as a "side" to enchiladas (to, you know, keep me from eating 6 enchiladas when a "serving" is supposed to be 2! ). It takes about a minute -- put some (canned) refried beans into a small bowl, top it with cheese (whatever I happen to have in the fridge -- could be a "Mexican blend" or mozzarella or sharp cheddar or whatever), nuke it for 20-30 seconds, and voila! it's done.

And both variations are delicious.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:03 AM

887 posts, read 406,074 times
With any type of eggs for breakfast. That's my favorite application.

I had never tried re-fried beans until I was in Mexico City on business. The hotel had a breakfast buffet and served beans but oddly no potatoes. OH MY GOD! If I could get their beans everyday with eggs I would never eat home fries again. To this day I have never had them as good so I don't eat them. If anyone is from Long Island and knows of a place that makes the real deal please chime in! I have a feeling lard was involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or