U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:19 AM

1,154 posts, read 2,881,376 times

Advertisements

During my visit to the doctor this morning, she mentioned I should be putting either Avocado or Olive Oil ON my food - not just cook with it. Never thought of that....

need suggestions for good - decently priced Avocado and Olive oils please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 11:46 AM

7,754 posts, read 705,241 times
California Olive Ranch got many kudos on a recent thread, I use it too.

Never seen avocado oil...

Old 01-09-2018, 11:50 AM

4,047 posts, read 4,680,539 times
We also like avacado oil but it is a bit pricey.

I second California Olive Ranch but pay attention to the label. I made the mistake of buying one bottle that was an "America's Blend", imported from S. America so who knows what is really in it. Costco has cheap olive oil but it is also a mix from who knows where so we don't use that either.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:12 PM

7,209 posts, read 6,514,030 times
We have imported olive oil from Greece we only use as a condiment.

You really need to buy 'good' olive oil and they tend to be pricey.

Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

18,737 posts, read 25,575,995 times
I have a couple for you, both found at Cost Plus World Market.

For Avocado Oil check out Ahuacatlan Avocado Oil which sells for $12.99 for a fairly large 17 oz bottle. https://www.worldmarket.com/product/...rPicks&from=fn

An especially well-sourced/well-priced Olive Oil is the Tunisian brand Terra Delyssa which sells for $8.99 for a litre/34 oz bottle. https://www.worldmarket.com/product/...rPicks&from=fn

Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,865,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Correct! California Olive Ranch (COR) produces the highest quality retail market extra virgin olive oil I've ever consumed. This product is certified by the California Olive Oil Council (COOC).

COR's "Everyday" oil is my favorite in terms of flavor and versatility. I cook with it as much as I will use it on salads.

One recent concern regarding COR is their America's Blend. This is a flat tasting oil which I would not recommend. Because it is blended with olive oils from South America, it does not meet COOC certification standards, thus the absence of the COOC emblem on the back of the bottle.

Old Today, 11:38 AM

1,154 posts, read 2,881,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Correct! California Olive Ranch (COR) produces the highest quality retail market extra virgin olive oil I've ever consumed. This product is certified by the California Olive Oil Council (COOC).

COR's "Everyday" oil is my favorite in terms of flavor and versatility. I cook with it as much as I will use it on salads.

One recent concern regarding COR is their America's Blend. This is a flat tasting oil which I would not recommend. Because it is blended with olive oils from South America, it does not meet COOC certification standards, thus the absence of the COOC emblem on the back of the bottle.
thanks for the info - I'll pick up some this weekend.

Old Today, 03:10 PM

65,749 posts, read 74,020,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

oh, it is the hot thing, like coconut oil is and was about 2 or 3 years ago. It is very expensive and for the skin it might be great, for using in cooking, give me something with a little more taste.

Old Today, 03:55 PM

527 posts, read 761,546 times
I was just at Trader Joe's today and noticed they have avacado oil. I buy Trader Joe's Spanish Extra Virgin Olive oil -- very tasty but a little "spicier" than other olive oils.

Old Today, 04:20 PM

7,754 posts, read 705,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh, it is the hot thing, like coconut oil is and was about 2 or 3 years ago. It is very expensive and for the skin it might be great, for using in cooking, give me something with a little more taste.

I was going to ask how avocado oil tasted...never went for the coconut fad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink