U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 07:55 PM

6,794 posts, read 3,992,467 times

Advertisements

For example. Normal bread...

If it is frozen, I follow rules similar to what is here:

How to Defrost Bread

"Allowing bread to defrost on the counter at room temperature can actually make it go stale. Heating the bread, on the other hand "will get the starch and water molecules to break down the crystalline regions, producing soft, ready-to-eat bread," according to Cook's Illustrated. As a bonus, heating defrosts the bread much faster than thawing at room temperature."

And I always get good results...

But hot dog and hamburger buns? NOPE! When I defrost them by heating in the microwave, they often turn into hard bricks? What is going wrong here?

I'm also curious to know if there is a "proper" was to defrost other already cooked foods... If you post in this thread, why not list:
  1. What do you thaw?
  2. How do you do it?
  3. Do you lose taste or texture?

To put the above in this format...
  1. What do I thaw? Hot Dog Buns
  2. How do I do it? Microwave (1100 watt) on low setting (5 of 10) for about 15 seconds.
  3. Do I lose taste or texture? Yes. Sometimes. I haven't figured the circumstance yet, but it seems that at least a quarter of the time, one end of a bun will get hard as a rock after cooling and become inedible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

779 posts, read 349,456 times
We have a GE over the range microwave that has a snack function that seems to work well. We freeze and defrost bread and bagels all the time. The trick is to find a setting that begins to defrost the item without overdoing it. Sometimes if it is a larger item we will wrap it in a paper towel or cover with a bowl or the M/W dish cover and let it finish defrosting on the counter or in the M/W if we don't need it for something else. Best to do one or two items at a time. Sometimes it may require running the snack cycle more than once.

Any setting that heats the bread till it's hot is too strong. 1100 watts at level 5 is too hot. Especially for light items like hot dogs and hamburger buns. Maybe a bagel but it is always better to tip-toe up to fully defrosted. Hope this helps.

ps: we have found that after wrapping bread items for freezing it stays much better in the freezer if you store the wrapped items in a PAPER grocery bag. Cannot explain it but it seems to work well.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

4,135 posts, read 2,417,890 times
If you heat any bread, frozen or not, for too long in the microwave, it will get very hard. Just try reducing the time when you defrost the buns.

I find that bread items thaw so fast on the counter that the microwave is unnecessary, and I've never noticed that they became stale any faster by doing so. Just don't take out more than you can use in a day or two.

Actually, I thaw everything on the counter. It does require remembering in the morning to take out any meat I'll be using that evening, but this no-tech method has always worked perfectly for me.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

1,215 posts, read 714,390 times
+1 saibot. Try it on the counter. If they don't thaw right you'll have bird food. Hot dog and hamburger rolls, at least the cheap ones, never defrosted well for me. When I used to have BBQs I'd throw the extras in the freezer and they would crumble after being thawed on the kitchen table. YMMV

Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

82 posts, read 16,727 times
I rarely have a loaf of bread around these days... but in the past I froze them quite often.

I would simply open the frozen loaf and grab 1-2-3 slices and place them on a plate on the counter top and 15 mins later = perfectly thawed bread, same condition and freshness as when frozen on day 1.

I never saw the need to apply heat or use microwave defrost settings or whatever. Simply airing them at room temp for 15-20mins does the trick.

Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM

11,681 posts, read 10,417,366 times
I freeze bread, thaw in the fridge, and usually end up toasting it. I am aware I am breaking a rule about this, bet we don’t seem to care.

I like to thaw frozen meat and poultry in the fridge. But I often speed things up by thawing for awhile in the sink. If I need to thaw fast, I use the defrost setting on my microwave. I run the cycle for a few minutes. Then allow it to rest for a few minutes. Then turn the item. Repeat.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

6,282 posts, read 1,009,305 times
When I used to freeze bread, I really only used it for toast, you can toast it from the frozen state. It works fine. I would never freeze hamburger buns. If the bread turns to mush, make stuffing. Now I only freeze meats & veg, freezer is not big enough to add regular bread, but I do have some frozen bread things from costco.

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,417,890 times
I get Trader Joe's "Honey Wheat" hamburger buns and they freeze/thaw perfectly (on the counter). I do it all the time. I think it's the really cheap white-flour buns that get crumbly or mushy when thawed.

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

31,175 posts, read 38,957,427 times
Bread will turn hard if it’s nuked for too long. It comes out fine if you are careful. We always keep bread and rolls frozen because we don’t use it up very fast.

Old Today, 02:16 PM

11,681 posts, read 10,417,366 times
We freeze hamburger buns. Or rather, DH does. I almost always eat bunless or with lettuce wrap. He thaws them in the micro, even though I suggest another alternatve.

If I am thawing I thaw the buns in my countertop oven. They come out a little crusty, but warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink