U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:37 PM

18,707 posts, read 4,657,736 times

Advertisements

We have asked to be moved far away from the table next to us with a crying baby. They moved us, no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 01:39 PM

12,988 posts, read 6,875,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Just request a different table if open ones are available.
But that doesn't work if you've already been seated and they seat a noisy party next to you. Even if you've only been given drinks it would be a major pain for you to change tables. And you can hardly say to the other party - don't sit so close! You're kind of stuck at that point.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:56 PM

68,684 posts, read 78,712,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
Why do restaurants seat customers close together when the restaurant is not full or busy? This drives me crazy. Last week my husband and I met a friend for Sunday lunch. When we arrived the restaurant was not busy. I think we were the first customers that day. After we had been there for about 20 minutes, the hostess seated a woman with a baby and another small child right beside us. The baby was crying and screaming. The mom and one of the wait staff were trying to distract the baby but it continued crying and shrieking. My husband, my friend and I looked around and there was still almost no one in the restaurant. So why did they seat this woman and her kids right next to us?

Some of my co-workers were talking about this very topic last week. We were comparing notes and everyone has notice the same pattern. It's really bad when people have screaming and crying kids and they are seated right next to you.

I used to wait tables years ago and customers were always spread throughout the wait staff areas. So if the restaurant was not crowded, people were somewhat spread out so that the different waiters had customers.
I would guess it is easier for them to keep customers as close together as possible. They don't see any reason to place one customer in section 3 and the next in section 8. It probably cuts down on costs somehow. I do agree, it can be very annoying and especially when there are crying little ones involved. I remember one time years ago a friend was visiting the area and we decided to meet for lunch. We were very good friends and hadn't seen each other for maybe a year. We just wanted to have a glass of wine, visit and enjoy our lunch. We were seated next to a couple of young mothers with toddlers running around and a couple of crying babies. When we asked to be moved our wait person said, we could go sit in the bar if we wanted to. We chose to stay where we were and luckily the young moms left not long after that.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:55 PM

2,175 posts, read 1,692,329 times
I would like to know why when I come in with my cane or walker if I don't specifically say something to them they will seat me at the farthest away of tables. What is the point of handicapped parking spaces when you then have to walk to the back of the building to sit down? Shouldn't this be intuitive for them to at least ask if you would prefer a closer table?

Old 01-11-2018, 05:49 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,437,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I would like to know why when I come in with my cane or walker if I don't specifically say something to them they will seat me at the farthest away of tables. What is the point of handicapped parking spaces when you then have to walk to the back of the building to sit down? Shouldn't this be intuitive for them to at least ask if you would prefer a closer table?
Yes, you are right, it should be, but they don't hire hostesses for their brains; the owner always hires her for her looks.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:07 PM

6,065 posts, read 4,237,220 times
In the case of a screeching baby, it'll be like fingernails on a blackboard, no matter where they're seated, unless it was a large restaurant. Were both tables close to the kitchen? That would shorten the distance the waitress had to traverse, especially on a slow night.

If there was another waitress, maybe she was on a bathroom or ciggy break when the other table was seated - waitresses are usually assigned a particular section.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:32 PM

1,903 posts, read 2,890,415 times
I was a hostess for several years. If you were there right when they opened, there was probably only one server on the clock. The other servers standing around were most likely not on the clock yet.

Each server has a section. It sounds like they were seating at the server's section that was on the clock. When someone is seated in a section for a server that isn't on the clock yet, it messes things up. When the server clocks in, they have one less table until the customer leaves. What they will do is take a table in the opener server's section until their table opens.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:42 PM

8,070 posts, read 7,347,515 times
There are a million reasons why they sat those people near you.

They had a large party coming in a little later and had to reserve certain tables for it.

The guests asked to sit there.

Your wait person was the early person in and seating in another section would have been someone elses table. It short changes one waiter and overloads another.

I could go on and on but there really are a lot of reasons.

Restaurants don't seat guests just to pi$$ off other guests.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:42 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,556,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Maybe there was only the one waitperson (short-staffed)?
I don't know the details of the OP's post, but it sounded like even if they didn't want this one, single wait staff person to be running back and forth across opposite ends of a large ballroom, they could've still put some buffer space between them.
On a cruise, they do seat families with children off to the side. Like a sort of "no smoking area", but instead, a "no child area" That's good planning.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:45 PM

2,245 posts, read 1,975,631 times
When Im out with my gf, We take a quick glance to see an area we like, a booth we like, or a view outside maybe we like, or just an area we like and request that, and tip extra. Never had a problem with that. I would never request a table or booth waaay out there, and make them walk so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or