U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:28 AM

267 posts, read 802,615 times

Advertisements

Unless some "special circumstance"...

bad or inexperienced management and poor customer service. Both parties are negatively affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 07:53 AM

48,173 posts, read 48,007,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Oh dear this is turning into another Let's bash parents and children thread.
Why? Why? There are all kinds of annoying people in restaurants. My oldest kid is autistic. He loves restaurants. He has a more adventurous palate then 90% of adults. Because he is very noise sensitive we take him out on odd days or odd hours. Also because of this we very much notice loud, obnoxious patrons. I would say a good 99% of the time it is adults. They drink and get loud. They start talking to friends and get loud. I would bet at least one of you here complaining of children have ruined someone else's good time with out realizing it.
Try to practice kindness. It won't kill ya!
It's varies with people, too. I am one of seven siblings. I can tune out kid noise. It just doesn't bother me the way it seems to bother some people.

My adult daughter is an only child. She doesn't like children and she will never have any. She gets all worked up when there is a noisy kid around to the point where I've admonished her about what amounts to an intolerance for a group of humanity that she would never apply to any other group of humanity.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:25 AM

10,724 posts, read 8,257,302 times
I had this happen recently. I went in a meal at a random time like 2:30pm. It was a large place, seats maybe 200. There were probably 6 people dining max. They sat me and my wife practically at a table with another couple. There was probably a 12" gap in between us. We asked for a new seat and they seem really confused and talked amongst themselves. A few minutes later they moved us one whole table over.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:31 AM

156 posts, read 52,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I had this happen recently. I went in a meal at a random time like 2:30pm. It was a large place, seats maybe 200. There were probably 6 people dining max. They sat me and my wife practically at a table with another couple. There was probably a 12" gap in between us. We asked for a new seat and they seem really confused and talked amongst themselves. A few minutes later they moved us one whole table over.
Often this can be remedied as the hostess is walking you to your table.

Simply scan your surroundings quickly and if she is obviously leading you to a spot and you would prefer another option nearby simply state ( prior to her seating you ): 'we would rather sit in that area' - while you jesture with your hand to another spot that is not jammed up next to another couple or possibly a mom with a few kids in tow.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 AM

4,466 posts, read 3,567,030 times
It isn't rude to want to enjoy your meal in peace. I think I would have just asked the waitress to move you to a different table. Even having one or two tables between you and the other party would have helped you enjoy your meal considerably. And if that's a lot of trouble for the server, well, then, they shouldn't have seated the other party so close to you in the first place (I'm assuming it's a smaller place, and the server also pitches in as the hostess).

There are several restaurants I avoid because the seating is just too darn close. I HATE those places where the "table for 2" is one of 8 tables lined up six inches apart. Claustrophobia really kicks in.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:25 PM

5,588 posts, read 2,982,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I don't think people, in general, use common sense very often. If there was no other table or the restaurant was short staffed I could understand. But the restaurant was not as busy as usual due to the weather, and they were fully staffed. We had our food and drinks and mentioned moving to another table but my husband didn't want to ask to be moved. In hindsight, we should have overruled my husband and moved anyway.

Personally, I don't know why the woman brought a little kid and a baby to a restaurant. It's hard to control their behavior when they're that young, so why bring them into a restaurant and let them scream and ruin other people's meals. Why not get your food to go, or go to a place that caters to kids or a fast food joint?
I would expect it was because the little kid needed to eat and leaving a baby home alone when one goes out to eat is frowned upon by most CD members and the authorities.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:35 PM

517 posts, read 235,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Try to practice kindness. It won't kill ya!
Sure thing, as long as that goes both ways.

OP as much of a pain as it is, I would have had absolutely no qualms about picking up and moving mid meal. I've done that very thing before, last time was when a family seated jammed up next to us let their kid repeatedly pull my date's hair. Funny thing, the parents paid zero attention until we started moving.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:33 PM

4,466 posts, read 3,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Sure thing, as long as that goes both ways.

OP as much of a pain as it is, I would have had absolutely no qualms about picking up and moving mid meal. I've done that very thing before, last time was when a family seated jammed up next to us let their kid repeatedly pull my date's hair. Funny thing, the parents paid zero attention until we started moving.
I had a squirmy, active kid in a booth behind me -- I was pretty good at ignoring him until the little brat took a squirt ketchup bottle and squirted ketchup in my hair, dripping onto my suit jacket. I was speechless furious (which is rare!) The parents LAUGHED, and the father said, "Oh, relax, it's just ketchup!" I couldn't go back to work with ketchup in my hair or dripping down my jacket. The server brought me a towel to the restroom as I tried to clean up, and said that the manager of the restaurant brought "to go" boxes to their table and said, "OK, you're done. Here's your bill, please leave now." The restaurant comped both our meals and brought a free dessert, too. I left the waitress a HUGE tip, because I'm pretty sure the family behind me didn't leave one as they were being tossed out of the restaurant. :-)

Old 01-12-2018, 04:39 PM

166 posts, read 46,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
2:30 is generally the dead time in most restaurants. There was very likely only 1-2 servers still working the floor.

Most will probably ask: Well, what difference does that make? Yes, you are there to enjoy your meal, but so are the other diners. You also want to pay as little as possible for that meal/get the best value. That requires restaurants to not have excess staff on when they don't need it. Making sure that all diners receive equal treatment means making sure that the server can provide the best possible service to all diners. Meaning don't have them run all over the place if it can be helped.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:20 PM

1,449 posts, read 670,275 times
I don't understand why it was such a big deal to tell the server you wanted to move and then get up and do so. I have done it when someone really noisy was seated next to me and more often when I've been seated under an A/C vent and start freezing when it kicks in. I don't care how far into my meal I am, if I am uncomfortable, I want to move. I can't enjoy my food when I am freezing or if I have a kid (or drunk adult) screaming in my ear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or