U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:48 PM

12,308 posts, read 9,649,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I had a squirmy, active kid in a booth behind me -- I was pretty good at ignoring him until the little brat took a squirt ketchup bottle and squirted ketchup in my hair, dripping onto my suit jacket. I was speechless furious (which is rare!) The parents LAUGHED, and the father said, "Oh, relax, it's just ketchup!" I couldn't go back to work with ketchup in my hair or dripping down my jacket. The server brought me a towel to the restroom as I tried to clean up, and said that the manager of the restaurant brought "to go" boxes to their table and said, "OK, you're done. Here's your bill, please leave now." The restaurant comped both our meals and brought a free dessert, too. I left the waitress a HUGE tip, because I'm pretty sure the family behind me didn't leave one as they were being tossed out of the restaurant. :-)
OMG! How on earth does any parent just say relax it's just ketchup? Like seriously! Maybe he should take a bath in it and see how joyous it is. What a sticky mess! Not to mention it stains. Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 09:40 PM

28,916 posts, read 8,486,486 times
You're under no obligation to sit where you're directed. I would expect a restaurant to be prepared to be busy, anyway, or are we to believe that they turn away a sudden onslaught of customers because there's no "staffed section" to accommodate them?" (They don't.)

As for the screaming baby, since that party arrived after the OP, they should ask to be moved, if other seating is available. Since everything had been served already, though, I would have just ignored it. Plus, another screaming baby could have ended up next to the new table.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:06 AM

552 posts, read 273,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I don't understand why it was such a big deal to tell the server you wanted to move and then get up and do so. I have done it when someone really noisy was seated next to me and more often when I've been seated under an A/C vent and start freezing when it kicks in. I don't care how far into my meal I am, if I am uncomfortable, I want to move. I can't enjoy my food when I am freezing or if I have a kid (or drunk adult) screaming in my ear.
Agreed 100%. I’m paying my good money for this experience, and if I don’t want to be planted next to noisy kids, a stinky bathroom, or some other annoyance, I shouldn’t have to be unless the place is so full that there’s no choice. In which case, I usually just leave. Life’s too short.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:14 AM

552 posts, read 273,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I would expect it was because the little kid needed to eat and leaving a baby home alone when one goes out to eat is frowned upon by most CD members and the authorities.
Unless they’re traveling, they can always get a babysitter. If they can afford to eat out, that’s something they can also afford. Really young children usually don’t have the patience to go to a sit-down restaurant, and there’s no reason to subject them, never mind their fellow diners, to the experience until they’re old enough to handle it. That also goes for things like concerts and non-kid oriented movies.

They could also consider going to a place that caters to young kids like Chuck E. Cheese. Anyone who is bothered by kids goes to such spots at their own risk.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:45 AM

2,309 posts, read 1,543,814 times
it's about optics. they want the restaurant to appear busy from the outside so people will come in. They would be less inclined to come in if it were empty.

What bothers me more is why some restaurants have a 20 minute wait but there are obviously empty tables throughout the restaurant.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:56 AM

4,763 posts, read 6,390,974 times
For a few reasons. 1. When there are only a few guests, putting them together creates a busier and more social atmosphere that most restaurants want. 2. It keeps other areas cleaner and needing less maintenance. 3. Wait staff are assigned sections and they often seat by section and if so-and-so is on break at the moment they're going to put you in the section where you will get quicker service if it means it is more crowded, etc.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:14 AM

382 posts, read 373,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Unless they’re traveling, they can always get a babysitter. If they can afford to eat out, that’s something they can also afford. Really young children usually don’t have the patience to go to a sit-down restaurant, and there’s no reason to subject them, never mind their fellow diners, to the experience until they’re old enough to handle it. That also goes for things like concerts and non-kid oriented movies.

They could also consider going to a place that caters to young kids like Chuck E. Cheese. Anyone who is bothered by kids goes to such spots at their own risk.
Right. I never took my son to sit down restaurants until he was old enough to handle it. Sometimes I do see both parents with babies and young children at restaurants, but if the baby cries one parent takes them out so they don't ruin everyone else's meal. This woman had a baby and a small child, so she couldn't take one out and leave the other. She should not have put herself and her kids in that situation.

We all have to share public space, so people should be respectful that it is a shared space. Don't bring kids & babies to a restaurant (other than Chuck E. Cheese or similar) if you don't have some help if they throw tantrums and cry. Don't expect others to listen to a screaming baby while you sit there and do nothing. "Kindness" goes both ways. Unfortunately, too many people these days feel that kindness means putting up with other people doing things with a total lack of regard for others. And if, god forbid, you point out that they have no regard for others YOU are the one being mean and unkind.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:06 AM

5,739 posts, read 3,042,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post

Even with her reply to you above we have no idea what type of restaurant this was other than being at least a bit above Chuck E Cheese. I doubt if it was a white tablecloth operation and I'll bet that there were high chairs available for the kiddies, meaning the proprietors welcomed kids. This was at lunchtime, not ten at night and I'm also going to bet that the menu had kid's items. The OP should have simply asked to move to a quieter area.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:36 AM

24,197 posts, read 13,782,204 times
My guess is it was not a peak time and had fewer wait-staff. If say two servers are there at say 3:30-4:00, that means only two server zones are open.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:47 AM

4,693 posts, read 1,650,355 times
You have the right to ask for a different table. If they refuse, take your business elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or