U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 06:46 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,100,930 times

Advertisements

Fix your eggs the way you like them. Just because the people on Food Network prefer their eggs slightly undercooked does not mean you have to eat yours that way.

It's your food. You're the one cooking it. You're the one eating it. Do what you want. There are no Food Network Police. They won't know how you prepared your eggs, and even if they did, so what? It's your food. Prepare it the way you like it. They can fix their own food the way they want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 07:00 PM

32,042 posts, read 49,533,032 times
^^^^^ this! ^^^^^

I like them very moist and slightly undercooked. But thats me. You cook your eggs the way YOU like. Who cares what others say.
Most people like them cooked well and dry. Not me, but I don't care. I cook what I like

Old 01-13-2018, 07:15 PM

5,005 posts, read 2,912,765 times
I like sunnyside up and over easy eggs with brown crunch edges. Runny yokes are good, but runny whites are yuk.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:45 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,010 times
The way I am used to making omelets, the eggs are only scrambled before cooking, after which the whole thing is left alone to slowly simmer under a lid.
That way, it gets really fluffy and even rising just like a soufflé... the top and middle stay white and soft, and even the bottom does not necessarily get "brown" if the heat is low enough! There are no "tough" areas mixed in throughout the omelet - the bits that used to be "bottom", etc.
AND everything is definitely thoroughly cooked! AND you don't have to stand over it the whole time!

Don't understand why it's not done that way here... perhaps, because constant scrambling enables you to cook it faster, which is important in the restaurants?

Old 01-13-2018, 09:34 PM

5,164 posts, read 2,666,072 times
Thanks for the comments folks. I guess I should have added that I can cook them either way. Just always wondered why all the "how-tos" say brown is over cooked because to me I can't taste a difference; they are pretty yucky either way. But my wife and kids love them. When I scramble the eggs I don't brown them, but when making an omelet, it puffs up nice and fluffy with a nice beautiful golden brown outside.

Anyway, I personally can't tell a difference but wondered whenever I hear them talking about it.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:43 PM

2,775 posts, read 1,128,729 times
I love eggs! Whether they get browned in the pan, or still a bit runny, I love them.

I have no idea where the idea that letting them get brown is somehow wrong could have come from.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:49 PM

12,448 posts, read 9,647,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
...I have no idea where the idea that letting them get brown is somehow wrong could have come from.
Because they taste horrible when browned.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:55 PM

5,164 posts, read 2,666,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Because they taste horrible when browned.
Really? What makes them taste horrible? This is an honestly serious question because I can't taste a difference; they are horrible to me either way. But since my family loves them, I'm trying to understand why things should be cooked a certain way.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 PM

12,448 posts, read 9,647,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Really? What makes them taste horrible?...
French omelettes and soft-scrambled eggs have a very subtle flavor. Browning the eggs introduces a flavor that, for me, masks the subtle flavor of the eggs.

Now, I couldn't care less about how others want their eggs, and I'll brown an omelette for them if that's what they want. I suppose it's kind of like that "well done" vs "medium rare" steak argument.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 PM
Status: "Weary is not a contraction of wary/leery" (set 23 days ago)

9,033 posts, read 12,802,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Really? What makes them taste horrible? This is an honestly serious question because I can't taste a difference; they are horrible to me either way. But since my family loves them, I'm trying to understand why things should be cooked a certain way.
I assume that since you can't taste the difference you can't smell it either?
I really dislike the smell of browned eggs, it ruins the dish for me most of the time, unless I can mask it with a ton of cheese and salsa or something.
Don't like the texture or taste either. The difference between properly cooked and browned is kinda like the difference between a real hamburger and a burger from McD IMO. Yummy vs just edible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink