U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 11:59 PM

2,472 posts, read 1,696,562 times

Advertisements

In my experience, browned eggs usually means the butter began to scorch. Scorched butter tastes awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 12:43 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,280,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
French omelettes and soft-scrambled eggs have a very subtle flavor. Browning the eggs introduces a flavor that, for me, masks the subtle flavor of the eggs.

Now, I couldn't care less about how others want their eggs, and I'll brown an omelette for them if that's what they want. I suppose it's kind of like that "well done" vs "medium rare" steak argument.
I think they taste scorched when eggs are brown, scrambled or prepared as an omelette. The "scorched" taste to me tastes like burned dairy products. But, as others have said, people should eat their food how they like it.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:11 AM

736 posts, read 388,716 times
Too high heat damages the egg white protien http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/...nalCode=jafcau
Thats why it doesn't taste good.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:31 AM

4,253 posts, read 6,256,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPatriot View Post
Much easier to simply scramble eggs and not brown them.

the constant 'scramble' is what prevents the browning from even happening.

In an omelet format the scrambled egg sits on each side for a prolonged time while cooking, it is this that leads to the browning / over doneness.

2 completely differant things

Sorry, I didn't realize I said that I was only Scrambling the eggs and cooking them but not burning (browning) them. I thought I said that it's easy enough to do that any way you cook eggs, omelets and frittatas included.

Not like I'm some trained chef/cook, have never done it for pay, only for myself. But it's NOT HARD to keep eggs from browning. Generally speaking, for an omelet, there are several tricks. Keep the head low enough, "lift" the edge to keep liquid egg flowing onto the hot pan (alternatively you sort of lightly scramble but stop while it's still 1 cohesive piece), flip the whole thing, use a broiler/oven to heat/cook the top side before folding, etc...

Old 01-14-2018, 10:50 AM

3,415 posts, read 1,414,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
In my experience, browned eggs usually means the butter began to scorch. Scorched butter tastes awful.
I don't cook eggs in butter, only olive oil.

Browned eggs have a different taste than not. If you choose to define that different taste as "bad", be advised that this is your personal taste and not everyone shares it.

De gustibus non disputandum.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:04 AM

7,423 posts, read 3,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Ok I admit I'm not a huge egg fan but I can cook them pretty well. The thing I keep hearing is to not let omelets or other egg dishes get brown. In fact it seems that most egg dishes are served under cooked, still slightly slimy when I see Food Network. What the deal?
They just appear that way because you aren't used to seeing food that is being lit by a bunch of super bright studio lights.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:23 AM

9,713 posts, read 13,610,760 times
OK, when you "brown" egg you denaturate protein in it to the point that it becomes less digestible by GI tract. Basically, you are eating something you can't digest and overtax your GI system.

As of other egg browning:

The proteins within eggs can participate in the Maillard reaction when exposed to heat, producing a desirable brown color. The Maillard reaction is responsible for the golden crust of baked products such as yellow batter cake,2 meat browning and the dark color of roasted coffee.3
In addition, egg yolk contributes rich color to various foods via xanthophyll, a carotenoid with a yellow-orange pigment that gives the yolk its characteristic color.4 Egg yolks impart a rich yellow color to cakes and are often used to fortify whole egg products within formulations to yield a more intense color or increased emulsifying action. The pleasing color that eggs impart to baked foods has long been accepted as a mark of superior quality.5

Browning/Color - American Egg Board

Old 01-14-2018, 11:25 AM

12,272 posts, read 7,007,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Easy enough to have eggs that are both Cooked and Not browned. That's the way I cook them (and like them).
^^^^^This. Just make sure your heat isn't too high, and be patient. Let them cook slowly. I always flip the omelet, then turn off the burner, then add the ingredients, (cheese, veggies, ham) wait a short bit so the cheese melts, then fold it over, and serve.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:02 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,060,269 times
I don't like runny whites in any egg however cooked. I tolerate scrambled eggs on occasion only and like them with cheese and just cooked to set. I alternate on fried eggs as to whether or not I want them 'browned' or not. I sometimes actually like to break the yolks all over the fried egg and for it to get crispy all around the edges. I like an omelet cooked til set or with a little brown. As long as the egg isn't too dried out and really... it's what's on the inside of the omelet that will make me decide whether I like it or not.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:56 PM

26,643 posts, read 44,502,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
To me, browned scrambled eggs have an unpleasant odor and flavor. I don't like them underdone either. I mostly eat eggs at home.
Eggs I think have sulphur as underlying attribute so when cooked too long or at too high a temp and turn brown, they can pull that sulphur taste...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink