U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

4,634 posts, read 2,250,001 times

Advertisements

Ok I admit I'm not a huge egg fan but I can cook them pretty well. The thing I keep hearing is to not let omelets or other egg dishes get brown. In fact it seems that most egg dishes are served under cooked, still slightly slimy when I see Food Network. What the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM

90 posts, read 20,005 times
My guess is it has more to do with appearance than actual taste / texture.

I would much prefer slightly browned exterior on an omelet vs one that is undercooked and runny egg

Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM

8,607 posts, read 15,594,739 times
To me, browned scrambled eggs have an unpleasant odor and flavor. I don't like them underdone either. I mostly eat eggs at home.

Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

6,390 posts, read 1,023,999 times
I don't like brown in scrambled eggs, ( I like them soft) but I don't mind it on omelettes. I don't care what fancy French recipes say, I know what I like.

Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

3,295 posts, read 5,213,800 times
Easy enough to have eggs that are both Cooked and Not browned. That's the way I cook them (and like them).

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

4,152 posts, read 2,427,639 times
The browned parts can be tough, which I suppose people don't like, but I also would much much rather have a browned omelet than a runny one.

Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM

90 posts, read 20,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Easy enough to have eggs that are both Cooked and Not browned. That's the way I cook them (and like them).
Much easier to simply scramble eggs and not brown them.

the constant 'scramble' is what prevents the browning from even happening.

In an omelet format the scrambled egg sits on each side for a prolonged time while cooking, it is this that leads to the browning / over doneness.

2 completely differant things

Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM

8,393 posts, read 7,455,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPatriot View Post
Much easier to simply scramble eggs and not brown them.
Yes. It's what I do. I made omelettes for years, and gave up a few years back. It's easier just to scramble eggs and I like them better. I cook mushrooms or peppers first if I'm going to use them, then add the egg mixture and the cheese, and keep scrambling. Non-stick pan.

Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM

149 posts, read 125,180 times
I don't like the texture or taste of browned eggs. I thought I disliked omelets but then I had a french omelet and I liked it! So I learned to make them, with this technique from Serious Eats: The Foolproof Steps to Making a Perfect French Omelette at Home | Serious Eats

I still mostly make scrambled eggs...but it's kind of an art to get them where they are dry enough but before they brown. My partner intensely dislikes any kind of wet on eggs, so prefers brown. But I've gotten really good at hitting that thin thin line, so we can both enjoy the same eggs. A nonstick skillet reserved only for eggs has helped a lot!

Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM

30,020 posts, read 53,996,139 times
I don't like the taste of browned eggs. Blech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink