U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 04:22 PM

14,879 posts, read 26,466,686 times

Advertisements

What was the favorite dish or meal you cooked or had this past week?

Ideas, menus, links to restaurants, recipes, and your own pictures (otherwise links to pics) all are welcome here in this thread.

Looking for inspiration for meals and experiences surrounding the meals. These can be breakfast, lunch or dinner. Or perhaps even a special occasion event.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 06:26 PM

4,237 posts, read 6,233,692 times
Lets see if I can even remember what all I've had... chicken noodle soup, pizza, red beans and rice, steak salad, tamales w/ refried beans, ham and swiss sandwiches... can't remember the 7th.

All cooked by myself. Normally it'd be the pizza, but I tried my hand at a Naples style pizza and couldn't get my oven hot enough so it turned out a bit tough. Plus I made my own mozarella and goofed somehow, it didn't really melt. I think in terms of just plain hitting the right spot taste-wise it'd be a toss-up between the chicken noodle soup tonight and the ham and swiss sandwiches (w/ honey mustard on Kings Hawaiian rolls and a side of baked bbq sweet potato rounds).

Lets just go with the soup as I'm looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow...

Old 01-13-2018, 07:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,635,790 times
Hmmm, Id have to say pork chops and scalloped potatoes.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:05 PM

17,628 posts, read 16,816,655 times
I made pot roast. Just ordinary, humble pot roast with potatoes, carrots, onions and peas. Wish I'd had some rutabaga to throw in. I looked online for some extra ideas and ended up adding some ginger and cinnamon. Didn't bother to thicken the juice for gravy--it's so freezing cold out that just the fact that it was hot was good enough.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:01 PM

1,733 posts, read 3,555,497 times
I got the Baby Jesus in a King Cake and so had to bring something for my volunteer crewthis week. I looked back through my old recipes and was reminded of the following. I made it and won a few converts to healthy eating. Glad I resurrected it! The dressing makes it but if you read it you think "no way that goes together". You just have to trust and make it. It's super good.

Kick Ass Two Bean Salad

SALAD
1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces (about 2 cups)
1 15 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 6oz can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
1/4 cup sliced red onion
1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley

DRESSING
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp maple syrup (use the real stuff!!)
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbs fresh tarragon

TO MAKE SALAD: Fill large pot with 1 inch water and set steamer basket in pot. Cover, and bring water to a boil. Place green beans in steamer basket. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and steam 2 to 3 minutes, or until green beans are crisp- tender. Cool. Toss green beans with all remaining salad ingredients in a large serving bowl.

TO MAKE DRESSING: Blend vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, garlic, salt and pepper in blender or food processor until smooth. Add oil and tarragon and blend until smooth.

Pour dressing over salad, and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:06 PM

3,686 posts, read 3,232,650 times
It's called egg roll in a bowl.
My new favorite go to meal for a fast meal. Found it on pinterest.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:25 PM

1,753 posts, read 540,541 times
I love a dish my mom made when I was young. We always called it Chinese noodles. Pork chops, scrambled eggs, egg noodles, green onions. It's simple to make and, with soy sauce, is delicious!

Old 01-13-2018, 10:47 PM

9,343 posts, read 13,170,307 times
I've been doing blue apron meals and this week I tried spicy pork and korean rice cakes. I was afraid I wouldn't like it after I tried a rice cake and found it really chewy and kind of gummy. But after I put it together and let it set overnight the rice cakes lost some of that 'gumminess' and the dish was really quite tasty. May become one of my new favorite ingredients. I like discovering tasty new things.

https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/sp...ith-rice-cakes

Last edited by DubbleT; 01-13-2018 at 11:29 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 10:50 PM

152 posts, read 77,594 times
Spaghetti carbonara. I have always tried to wing it with this dish, but this time I got a recipe and followed it (not complicated but not intuitive, either). Man, that was good. Mmmm. Bacon.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:06 PM
NCN

21,137 posts, read 20,957,227 times
One package favorite frozen vegetables, stir with 2 T. canola oil, arrange in a 9 X 13 casserole dish; add One can Members Mark chicken breast pieces, drained, then pour one bottle Food Lion sweet and sour sauce over entire mixture. Pepper generously. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for about 30 minutes keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't burn.

I use the Food Lion 99 cent frozen vegetables with water chestnuts and peas in the shell, broccoli and carrots, etc. Many of the steamed vegetable packages would work too. The broccoli pieces really are good in this recipe.

This can be served over rice if you like rice. I prefer it without rice.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...01&FORM=IQFRBA

https://www.target.com/p/birds-eye-s...etables&gclid=[*GCLID*]&gclsrc=ds

https://www.target.com/p/kikkoman-sw...20sauce&gclid=[*GCLID*]&gclsrc=ds

Last edited by NCN; 01-13-2018 at 11:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or