Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which grocery store is better?
Wegmans 51 60.00%
Publix 34 40.00%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:09 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Errr, Wegmans and Publix ARE NOT THE SAME concepts. I've shopped both.

Love Publix, it's a NICE grocery store. (I lived in GA.) It's a great regular grocery chain.

Wegmans is like a Whole Foods combined with a conventional grocery store. The prepared foods section is gigantic. AND it has a restaurant with made-to-order offerings, and most stores also offer wood-fired pizza, sushi, salad and ethnic buffets. You have tons of natural, organic and ethnic options in the aisles AND you can buy Tide, Kleenex, Fruit Loops and Oreos along with your organic-anything-you-want. Price-wise it's VERY reasonable, mostly identical to regular grocery stores around here.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.
This captures it, except I'd quibble about Wegmans pricing. In Eastern Massachusetts, southern New Hampshire, and a bit of Maine, there is a chain called Market Basket which is my go-to for pricing. The chain is extremely high volume and is really well managed. It's non-union, the employees have careers there, and they really like working for the company. Their newer "A" stores are sort of Wegmans-lite but easily 30% less total food cost. A lot of the stores around the failed cities are kind-a third world-y, particularly around the first of the month when EBT cards are reloaded since they're the lowest prices but those generally have the cleanliness and quality as the stores in the affluent suburbs. With that formula, things like produce and fish cycle rapidly so the quality tends to be better than the other dominant local chains.

If I'm on a business trip and want a quick prepared food lunch or I'm fried and want takeout for a hotel room dinner camped in front of the TV, Wegmans is the place. Chinese. Indian. Pizza. Subs. Big selection and good quality. You're paying for it, though. It's almost as expensive as Whole Foods though with less emphasis on the organic/vegetarian/vegan thing. The grocery store part of the store isn't all that different from Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 12:44 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
Wegmans is in a different class than Publix. Both nice, but Wegmans has better prepared food, better seafood, better meats, better cheese department and a Mediterranean bar. Publix has better fried chicken. I’ve had subs from both and they are comparable.
I used to live in Florida (Publix's Home Turf), Georgia (where they made a huge impact on the Atlanta market, practically running Winn-Dixie and Harris-Teeter out of town. and only entered Georgia in 1991 in Savannah after only being in Florida since its start in the 1930s), and now Maryland, Wegmans Territory. This is pretty accurate because the prepared foods at Wegmans are consistently top-notch. Publix has great fried chicken, but the side items can leave a lot to be desired. Chicken wings are about even, because they offer different flavors that cater to different palates. I love the Mardi Gras wings from Publix, but I love the Old Bay wings at Wegmans.

The Bakery is another one where Publix and Wegmans are a wash because Wegmans has better specialty desserts, while Publix is better with the every day items. I will also say that Publix's Tres Leches Cake tastes a lot better and feels more authentic to me. They also have excellent Key Lime Pies. Since both of those are popular desserts in Florida, they better! Wegmans has better carrot cakes, coconut creme pies, and cookies.

Sandwiches/subs? I only give the edge to Publix because of the Cuban sandwiches they make, and the sandwich oil/seasoning they use along with Boar's Head meat. But Wegman's subs are no slouch. Wegmans has better sushi and better ready-made items throughout its stores.

Another major difference between these two stores is that Wegmans is more of a destination store while Publix is more of a neighborhood store. Typically, there are far fewer Wegmans in an area than there are Publix's, which tend to be scattered about a variety of neighborhoods. Wegmans are typically much larger, handle much more traffic (some here in the DMV area have parking garages to accommodate all of the traffic they get), and have hot bars and restaurants within their locations, and lounge areas with televisions and play areas. They also have hot bar areas that serve pizzas, ready-to-eat items (which can be expensive, almost $10/pound), and even a breakfast area in some stores, so there is certainly more of a variety than Publix.

Wegmans private label items are often cheaper than Publix's prices overall, and are competitive on name brands, especially compared to Safeway and Giant here in the DMV area. Yes, the hot bar and ready-to-eat items are expensive, but if you don't get any of those foods, you should come out okay. On the other hand, when I lived in Atlanta, I usually shopped at Kroger rather than Publix because the prices were consistently cheaper, so I was willing to put up with Kroger and its BS. I also remember my aunt from California coming to Georgia for a visit and I took her to a Publix so she could get some fruit to snack on as she typically does. Produce is cheaper overall in California than Georgia (since a lot of things grow there), so she was in for a sticker shock when she got her bill, lol.

I will say that Publix tends to be good for what it is though, and has the reputation it has for a good reason. Consistently clean stores, friendly customer service, and good deli food. However, on a recent trip to the South, I wondered if they're expanding too fast because the experience wasn't quite up to par on visits to stores in Georgia and North Carolina. It wasn't quite the same as it was a few years ago.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:46 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,175,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yeah, I've been keeping tabs on all the potential locations. Wake Forest Rd. is pretty far from me (too far and too much traffic for regular shopping trips). I'm much closer to the Cary Towne Blvd potential location, which was supposed to be the first in the area, but has gotten mired down in rezoning and approvals.
As long as it's in the general area, I'll go whenever. I'm in GVL, SC but we go up to Duke at least twice a year, so I will be stopping there once they open...to get my Zweigle's, of course!

I'm a born and raised Floridian and grew up in Miami with my Mom basically a Publix person. Ditto when I got married and on my own. Hated WD, and only other real options later on were Sedano's and Presidente in the Kendall area. I have so many grocery stores where I live, and new ones coming in all the time, it seems. I actually don't shop at the big grocery stores we have much at all, can't be bothered going one place here for one thing, one place here for another. I rarely buy meat and most of my produce comes from Aldi's.

Publix is high priced as are others, including Wegmans - but I usually buy items when they are on sale if at all possible.

Publix does not double coupons - does Wegmans still do so (use to triple sometimes as well, I remember). I went to Rochester as a kid every summer and that's where I learned about Wegman's, along with the Zweigle's, which my Aunt had a house across the street from the factory, and my Grandpa grilled them out on the grill down at the Lake. That's were the nostalgia for me comes in.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:41 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I grew up on LI and still have family there. What happened to all of your grocery stores? Each year when I go up it seems more and more close down.
Most of the Pathmark stores went out and became best Markets. we still have stop and shop and ShopRite along with whole foods, wild by nature and Uncle Giuseppe's. we have 2 or 3 king Cullen's left on LI>

Old 01-17-2018, 02:42 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,894,927 times
I have shopped at Wegmans for 30 years and Publix for a year plus. They are very different. Wegmans pushes their store brands. When an item becomes popular it is often replaced by a Wegmans brand at lower price. The original disappears or is priced out of the market. Wegmans has gone towards a lot of prepared foods and bakery to fend of low price competitors like Walmart and Target. They have a massive (and expensive) hot food bar with soups and salads and all kinds of hot and cold dishes. When I left it was approaching $10/pound which adds up quickly and I found myself spending more to eat there than a sit down restaurant and the food was no better. It is similar to Whole Foods salad and soup bar except Wegmans lets their get depleted as the day wears on and Whole Foods keeps their stocked all day. Wegmans is constantly innovating (or borrowing from someone else?). The store has changed so much over the years. It has very few specials vs Publix which always has BOYO. Wegmans prepared food section dwarfs Publix. Publix has more of the brands I am used to seeing. I prefer Publix after extensive shopping at each because the employees (owners) are friendlier and its just a more enjoyable shopping experience IMHO. It may be because Wegmans was in dreadful Buffalo and Publix is in Sunny Florida.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Personally I can't vote as I have a son in management at a Wegman's. But I will comment on their pricing.

Some things I do find priced out of my comfort zone, like 5 shucked ears of corn (in season) in plastic wrap for $5. Asked my son how that worked for them and he said they had trouble keeping the bin stocked. "People pay for the convenience". Well, ok then. Twelve regular ears were something like a dozen for $6, more than reasonable.

Pre-prepped meals look slightly high priced but I calculated the expense of getting the individual ingredients to be slightly more and without the convenience factor.

So, I did a regular grocery run. Kept an eye on the prices. The total was pretty much right at what I'd spend at a Giant Eagle or Shop n Save around my area. Throw in some extra dollars for special items I can't get here, like half-sour pickles and such, and I was right in the budget.

You can go nuts and way overspend but you'll be likely to do that anywhere if that's how you roll. Honestly, if I lived near where the son's store is I'd probably shop nowhere else.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:31 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,467,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This captures it, except I'd quibble about Wegmans pricing. In Eastern Massachusetts, southern New Hampshire, and a bit of Maine, there is a chain called Market Basket which is my go-to for pricing. The chain is extremely high volume and is really well managed. It's non-union, the employees have careers there, and they really like working for the company. Their newer "A" stores are sort of Wegmans-lite but easily 30% less total food cost. A lot of the stores around the failed cities are kind-a third world-y, particularly around the first of the month when EBT cards are reloaded since they're the lowest prices but those generally have the cleanliness and quality as the stores in the affluent suburbs. With that formula, things like produce and fish cycle rapidly so the quality tends to be better than the other dominant local chains.

If I'm on a business trip and want a quick prepared food lunch or I'm fried and want takeout for a hotel room dinner camped in front of the TV, Wegmans is the place. Chinese. Indian. Pizza. Subs. Big selection and good quality. You're paying for it, though. It's almost as expensive as Whole Foods though with less emphasis on the organic/vegetarian/vegan thing. The grocery store part of the store isn't all that different from Publix.
I hate Demoulas, almost with a passion. Every last one I have ever been in is dirty and you can smell the deli and seafood section two aisles over. The store brand quality is horrible. Not a fan of their prices either. When I lived in eastern Massachusetts I found Hannaford's prices cheaper for the brands I bought.
I don't understand their cult like following. I grew up in Lowell in the 70s/80s, so they have been on my radar forever. First store was in Lowell before they switched the name to Market Basket. That store is right smack in the middle of the projects.
I'm glad you like it but honesty they make me irrationally angry!
Where I live now we have neither Market Basket/Demoulas or Hannaford. I shop at Wegman's sometimes but more often Big Y. Big Y is closer and they have incredible deals on meat.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:40 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,071,903 times
As a regular Publix shopper, there is no comparison.

Wegmans is the absolute king of grocery stores in the United States.
Especially some of their mega stores (Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo).

Publix is a clean and decent grocery store where "Shopping is a Pleasure"
but Wegmans is an experience. From the Candy Pick & Mix, to the Huge Bakery w/ Demos, to the Bars/Buffets, and the 20+ checkout lines with EVERYONE working.

It truly is unmatched.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:04 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,653,855 times
I have shopped extensively at both actually, but it has been at least 10 years since I have shopped in Publix on a consistent basis. That said, I like both a lot, and probably have them 1-2 in my personal list, but right now I would have to say Wegman's. I have really been impressed with everything about the store. Granted, this could be because I have been to Wegman's more recently, but for now, that is who gets my vote.

For the record, although I think they were bought out last year, I would have to say that PathMark up in the Northeast, is the worst grocery store I have ever frequented.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:02 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,894,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
As a regular Publix shopper, there is no comparison.

Wegmans is the absolute king of grocery stores in the United States.
Especially some of their mega stores (Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo).

Publix is a clean and decent grocery store where "Shopping is a Pleasure"
but Wegmans is an experience. From the Candy Pick & Mix, to the Huge Bakery w/ Demos, to the Bars/Buffets, and the 20+ checkout lines with EVERYONE working.

It truly is unmatched.
I shopped at the Wegmans at Alberta Drive in Amherst and the one on Sheridan Drive thousands of times and I NEVER saw 20+ checkout lines staffed EVER. That being said, I really liked Wegmans and in Buffalo their main competition was Topps, which they have destroyed. I never knew how Topps stayed in business, they make Publix look like Aldi. I miss Wegmans, but not Buffalo. The thing I miss most about Wegmans is their Pumpkin Whole Wheat muffins. Wegmans prices were higher before Walmart crashed the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products