Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 02:40 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,747 times

Advertisements

I'd rather have clams in the spaghetti than fish, couldn't tell you why. Maybe the fish texture wouldn't hold up as well when you're playing with your noodles. Small whole fish like anchovies/sardines sound good those, they might hold up better. Other fish would make a good main course, with a large side of spaghetti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 02:54 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I just remembered when we wer4e in Italy we had a tuna pasta dish, it was very good. Italians eat a lot of fish, the coastline is very long, so it is very common over there.
My Italian teacher gave us a tuna pasta recipe years ago that has become my grandkids favourite dish. So much so that I made it , on request, for Christmas lunch. It has no sauce except the oil and just uses canned tuna. Requires no cooking except for the pasta.

Teacher is from the far north in Italy and he gives us many simple seafood recipes.

Most Italian food in Australia not really like modern food served in Italy. For a start, the pasta in Italy is far more al dente. My Italian husband cannot cope with that and always asks for it to be cooked longer, which sometimes works and is sometimes ignored. And once had the chef running out to abuse him. But he doesn't have that problem here or in the US or U.K.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:25 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Not unusual at all. Sounds delicious if you ask me.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:26 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
We have Spaghetti w/ Mussels once in a while. And, red clam sauce over Spaghetti. Growing up, we had Spaghetti w/ Tuna fish in sauce on Christmas Eve, along w/ the other fishes.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:40 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
American Italian is not real Italian, & you know it.
I do but If you read my whole post you would see that I said what his mother fixed was not spaghetti or Italian either . thanks .

Old 01-28-2018, 05:43 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
My Italian teacher gave us a tuna pasta recipe years ago that has become my grandkids favourite dish. So much so that I made it , on request, for Christmas lunch. It has no sauce except the oil and just uses canned tuna. Requires no cooking except for the pasta.

Teacher is from the far north in Italy and he gives us many simple seafood recipes.

Most Italian food in Australia not really like modern food served in Italy. For a start, the pasta in Italy is far more al dente. My Italian husband cannot cope with that and always asks for it to be cooked longer, which sometimes works and is sometimes ignored. And once had the chef running out to abuse him. But he doesn't have that problem here or in the US or U.K.

There are any number of spaghetti with tuna in a marinara sauce recipes. It is not a combination that I particularly relished ... until my Italian landlady served it and it was great.

Personally, I thought that a little anchovy paste is a tomato sauce greatly enhanced the taste of the sauce while not overpowering it.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
American Italian is not real Italian, & you know it.
Does its validity as a cuisine rest upon being "real" Italian?

It is a cuisine that comes out of the Italian tradition (specifically southern Italy and Sicily) modified by the cost and availability of ingredients available to Italian immigrants to America in the early to mid 20th century.

So, it is not real Italian food, but it is real Italian-American food.

Hell, A lot of "real" Italian food uses tomatoes, a goddamn Mexican fruit. Talk about not real Italian.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:57 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
Pasta and Fish with a white wine sauce isn't strange at all.
I would forget the cheese, that's all.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:06 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Does its validity as a cuisine rest upon being "real" Italian?

It is a cuisine that comes out of the Italian tradition (specifically southern Italy and Sicily) modified by the cost and availability of ingredients available to Italian immigrants to America in the early to mid 20th century.

So, it is not real Italian food, but it is real Italian-American food.

Hell, A lot of "real" Italian food uses tomatoes, a goddamn Mexican fruit. Talk about not real Italian.

Oh I know that, it often gives me amusement to see Italian food identified with tomatoes, & Irish food with potatoes, both of which are fairly new additions to their cuisines.

My reply was in fun & slightly sarcastic, & I did not expect any serious responses.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Oh I know that, it often gives me amusement to see Italian food identified with tomatoes, & Irish food with potatoes, both of which are fairly new additions to their cuisines.

My reply was in fun & slightly sarcastic, & I did not expect any serious responses.
No problem.

I have Italian friends, real Italians, and frankly their chauvinism over food is over the top. It has really put me off. I mean, I am traditionalist oriented myself, a bit of an authenticity maven, but to some Italians, if you grate the Grana Padano at the wrong speed it is no longer real Italian food. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink