Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you serve boxed scalloped potatoes?
Never!! I'm a purist, so only from scratch. 40 44.44%
In a pinch, but I don't really care for them. 15 16.67%
It depends on the occasion, but they're okay. 21 23.33%
Absolutely!! They always turn out great. 14 15.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 06:01 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I've never had boxed scalloped potatoes taste anything like scalloped potatoes made from scratch. Dehydrated potatoes taste nothing like fresh potatoes......they always taste funny and have a strange after taste.
True but when you've only eaten the boxed kind you can't compare it to homemade. I can now though. The reason I don't buy the boxed stuff anymore is the sodium content and the crud they put in it but as a kid we thought my mom took all day to make it . Never realized till I was a teenager that it was the boxed stuff. I do make homemade mashed potatoes but Only made the scalloped once and I did like how they came out. My SIL's are better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 06:10 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I'll eat the boxed ones, they are cheap and simple to prepare in a pinch.

I have not made them from scratch in quite some time and only do so when I have some leftover ham.
There's the already done ones that just need to be microwaved for 4 minutes. They are actually quite tasty. I was pleasantly surprised.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:34 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
When it comes to scalloped potatoes, I am a purist. Other foods, not so much. Reason being, scalloped potatoes are one my favorite foods. You know the kind where you keep eating till you can't put in anymore or you will explode?!?

When my kids were young and at home, they would bring friends over for dinner. My son's friend went nuts over the scalloped potatoes. Went home and asked his mom to make some. He told me later on that she said ok and made the boxed version. He told her those weren't scalloped potatoes.

I don't make them often anymore since it is only hubby and I. I soooo over eat when it's just the two of us. My son now makes them and has tweaked his version to make them what he calls cheesy potatoes. He has become quite the cook in his house.

There is no recipe written to hand down. It's all in our head and we make them by guesstimates and visually we know what we are looking for.

So worth the time and effort.

Other boxed foods are ok. Not scalloped potatoes though.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:09 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have made scalloped potatoes using dehydrated potatoes and a mix. When I was asked to do a church dinner ALONE, I was NOT going to peel potatoes for 100+ people by hand. I did not think that the final product was bad at all.

Do we use dried potatoes. Certainly. Occasionally, someone gives me a 50# bag of Idaho potatoes or homegrown potatoes and we cannot use them before they rot. Therefore, we give some to our neighbors and the rest we dehydrate in the hot Arizona sun. And yes, it does work very well and relatively quickly.

And here is a picture:

My parents also used "Potato Buds" for quick mashed potatoes - I got to help by measuring out the milk, water and butter and make them in our '70's microwave - it was cool!

Old 02-09-2018, 08:50 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
I prefer potatoes au gratin, myself, as I am a cheese-a-holic. I'm sure scratch is delicious, but I have never made them, as slicing potatoes is not my favorite kitchen chore. I use the boxed stuff, but I doctor it up. I use mostly milk instead of water, and cream where it calls for milk. I also usually add more cheese on top (smoked bacon cheddar last time.) I do not make them on the stovetop (shortcuts only go so far.) They are delicious, but definitely not health food.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:02 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
I've made the box kind, and they're kind of edible, but I can't say that I'm ever really happy that I did.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:02 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
True but when you've only eaten the boxed kind you can't compare it to homemade. I can now though. The reason I don't buy the boxed stuff anymore is the sodium content and the crud they put in it but as a kid we thought my mom took all day to make it . Never realized till I was a teenager that it was the boxed stuff. I do make homemade mashed potatoes but Only made the scalloped once and I did like how they came out. My SIL's are better.
It's amazing the amount of salt and sugar added to packaged foods. My sister only eats frozen Lean Cuisine meals. She's BFF's with her microwave. I look at them once in awhile when I am grocery shopping and I'm shocked at the nutrition label....58% of your sodium from one serving! Many packages are more than one serving. It's rather shocking.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I prefer potatoes au gratin, myself, as I am a cheese-a-holic. I'm sure scratch is delicious, but I have never made them, as slicing potatoes is not my favorite kitchen chore. I use the boxed stuff, but I doctor it up. I use mostly milk instead of water, and cream where it calls for milk. I also usually add more cheese on top (smoked bacon cheddar last time.) I do not make them on the stovetop (shortcuts only go so far.) They are delicious, but definitely not health food.
Food processor! That's what I use to slice potatoes and shred carrots. Makes life a bit easier.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:36 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
I don't eat processed food. One Thanksgiving eve in the suburbs we realized we had no potatoes. Ran to every store that would have them but they were all closed so we ended up at a convenience store that had boxed scalloped potatoes. They were so salty that only the processed food eaters could tolerate them.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:40 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Dirtgrinder - were you to serve it including the box I would graciously dispose of it one bite at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink