Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 07:59 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Oh, and speaking of childish terms, in Australian and New Zealand English, "kindergarten" is commonly called "kindy".
I don't think I could even visit Australia. All those cutesy abbreviations would drive me screaming back on to the plane.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Barbecue has a straightforward etymology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue#Etymology
OK, all together now:

THERE IS NO "Q" IN BARBECUE!

If you remember that it comes from "barbacoa" you will always be OK.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:49 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
EVOO is an abbreviation for a specific type of olive oil: Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It's more flavorful than regular olive oil. I don't like the term, either (what's so bad about spelling it out?), but at least it's a normal abbreviation, not a pretentious derivative of an existing word.

Speaking of which, all those childish terms, like "yummy", "sammies", "veggies", etc., remind me of a joke.

Kids are starting first grade. The teacher says: "You're becoming big kids. You're not in kindergarten anymore. You're in first grade now. So we're going to practice using big kid words. Jennie, let's start with you. What did you do this summer?"
"I lived with nana on the farm."
"That's very good, but remember: the big kid word is 'grandmother' or 'grandma'. Now, Bobby, how about you?"
"I rode a choo-choo across the country."
"Wow, very nice, but remember: the big kid word is 'train'. Johnnie, your turn."
"I read a book called 'Winnie the Sh'." [big kid word for "poo" ]

Oh, and speaking of childish terms, in Australian and New Zealand English, "kindergarten" is commonly called "kindy".
I've been spending time in Ontario. People up there say "brekkie" for breakfast. They even write "Serving Brekkie" on the restaurant signs.

That would get you beat up in Jersey.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:11 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,366 times
I hate the term "comfort food" and any variation on that theme. Are we so fragile that we need to be comforted by the food we eat? \Do people really seek solace in a mediocre casserole they remember their aunt cooking when they were 7?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:15 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I hate the term "comfort food" and any variation on that theme. Are we so fragile that we need to be comforted by the food we eat? \Do people really seek solace in a mediocre casserole they remember their aunt cooking when they were 7?
Yes, nostalgia can be nice.

Even better when they take that mediocre comfort food and elevate it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-22-2018, 11:53 AM

73 posts, read 101,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
For my daughter her comfort food is med-rare steak au poivre and green beans - because that is what her grandmother would make her every time she visited. No mediocre casseroles.

A little reminiscing is not always a bad thing....if you don't have good memory based around food - than that is fine, but don't elevate your experience as above everyone elses.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Mine is my mom and grandma's cornbread, onion, and sage dressing. Nothing mediocre there. I could go for a big square of it right now. I usually make it every year at either Thanksgiving or Christmas, whichever one I'm on the hosting rotation for that year.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:01 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiP View Post
For my daughter her comfort food is med-rare steak au poivre and green beans - because that is what her grandmother would make her every time she visited. No mediocre casseroles.

A little reminiscing is not always a bad thing....if you don't have good memory based around food - than that is fine, but don't elevate your experience as above everyone elses.
That is true. For me, "comfort food" meant roast beef and mashed potatoes with gravy and homemade applesauce. I was taken aback when I dated a guy from Texas years ago who made me burritos for dinner one night and said that was his comfort food from his childhood. Meanwhile, I'm trying to be nice and choke this gloppy, spicy thing down. LOL.

I've since learned to find some Mexican/Tex-Mex things I will eat when people want to go that way, but that was probably the first burrito I ever ate, and I couldn't imagine MY mother putting that on the table when I was a kid and it being well-received.

If we were all the same, life would be boring.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,550,180 times
Original Recipe is often a false statement that casts a shadow on the Jargon. Example of: Sugar was replaced with HFCS.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
EVOO makes me cringe.
I clicked through 9 pages to get to EVOO. To me, that's by far the most annoying thing ever.

I've been all over the world many times on business. I use different food words and food prep words depending on context and audience. I'm not going to use eggplant outside the United States. I'd get a blank stare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.