Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I couldn't care less about what annoys people. I always have a cuppa for brekkie when I'm noshing egg and soldiers with rashers.
LOL, yes, but you're a limey so you can get away with it. Everyone knows you guys use silly words and expect to hear them out of your mouths. I picked up "tickety-boo" and "peckish" from my friend's husband, who used to work in my office.

You come to NJ and start tawkin like that in the diner, you might get dirty looks from behind some cawfee cups.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:45 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So did "radar" and "scuba", although like "EVOO", I have never heard anyone SAY "ASAP" or "VIP" as though they were words. People say the letters.

I write and my daughter is a linguist, so I'm with you on that last sentence. Language changes constantly.

For some reason I just find "plating" annoying, just as I find "gifting" annoying. And even my daughter says "adulting". Grrr. Maybe it's just that I think this trend of taking a noun and adding "ing" on the end is just a little too cutesy. As I already made clear, it's my personal peeve and it's not something that's going to ruin my life.

I'm going coffeeing now. I need more.
I’m caffeinating, right now!

I have also pronounced ASAP as a word, asap.

I’ve already posted my pet peeve, crispy! Language changes in ways we don’t always like. Right now we seem to be losing prepositions.

Enjoy your cuppa!

Old 03-01-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I’m caffeinating, right now!

I’ve already posted my pet peeve, crispy! Language changes in ways we don’t always like. Right now we seem to be losing prepositions.

Enjoy your cuppa!
I can't even deal with that because I'm fighting the battle over apostrophe abuse. I pack a Sharpie at all times, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:53 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
Quote:
So did "radar" and "scuba", although like "EVOO", I have never heard anyone SAY "ASAP" or "VIP" as though they were words. People say the letters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have always said ASAP as a two-syllable word. How is one to say it as soon as possible if one pronounces all four letters?

Same with EVOO: "EEE-vooh." I was saying it this way in the early '80s.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have always said ASAP as a two-syllable word. How is one to say it as soon as possible if one pronounces all four letters?

Same with EVOO: "EEE-vooh." I was saying it this way in the early '80s.
Hahaha re ASAP, good point. I always just actually said, "As soon as possible". Even longer than A-S-A-P.

As for EVOO, I am shocked at what you said. I don't think I ever even saw that term even in writing until a year or so ago. I had no idea what it even meant for a long time, and finally just did a Google search one day. But you say it has been around since the '80s??????

Then again, I was always a butter person or vegetable oil for frying. Olive oil, with an "EV" in front of it or not, was not really even on my radar until maybe 15 years ago. Maybe 20. Definitely not in the '80s. The highlight of my cooking life was back in the 80s when James Beard and Bert Greene and Pierre Franey had their columns in the NY newspapers. (Look them up.) They didn't use no stinkin' EVOO. They cooked with butter and bacon.

Now I use it all the time. My food choices have changed.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:31 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
Quote:
Hahaha re ASAP, good point. I always just actually said, "As soon as possible". Even longer than A-S-A-P.

As for EVOO, I am shocked at what you said. I don't think I ever even saw that term even in writing until a year or so ago. I had no idea what it even meant for a long time, and finally just did a Google search one day. But you say it has been around since the '80s??????
I don't know how long it's "been around," but when I started to get serious about cooking, around 1979, my favorite cookbook authors were Italian, Marcella Hazan and Giuliano Bugialli. I would simply write EVOO on my shopping lists instead of writing out "extra virgin olive oil." It never occurred to me not to pronounce it that way, or at least to think that pronunciation in my head, even if I never said it out loud. I never heard of anyone spelling E-V-O-O out until I discovered Rachael Ray in 1999.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,067,815 times
Any jargon that has become popular because of Food Network or any food cooking show/tv channel. I'm not talking about correct culinary terminology (even if it's a foreign language), but things like saying "extra virgin olive oil" as "ee-voh". Puke. Not sure why that one bugs me as I typically have no issue with acronyms.

Caucasian BF personally hates when I call things by their names when they're in a foreign language (any items, not just food). But then, I'm Asian and grew up calling things their Asian names. He says I sound pretentious. Oh well.

Quote:
I have never heard anyone SAY "ASAP" or "VIP" as though they were words. People say the letters.
Really? I'm surprised you haven't heard it pronounced "ay-sap". Let me call you so I can say it, lol, I say it all the time.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:48 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Nice try DG, but I don’t think our American cousins are going to see a family that own an antique shop as “working class”, particularly if they’ve ever been to Portobello Road, and seen among some of the good stuff, the piles of scrap at mouth watering prices...
Portobello Road traverses several "classes" of neighborhoods. We were in the "working class" neighborhood with a pub and a chippy across the street.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:38 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Portobello Road traverses several "classes" of neighborhoods. We were in the "working class" neighborhood with a pub and a chippy across the street.
No argument there, from my Black Cab days I recall that Portobello Road ran from Pembridge Road, Notting Hill, to Wornington Road W10 near Ladbroke Grove, crossing Westbourne Grove and going under the A40 Westway, the cheap end being around Acklam Road W10.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
No argument there, from my Black Cab days I recall that Portobello Road ran from Pembridge Road, Notting Hill, to Wornington Road W10 near Ladbroke Grove, crossing Westbourne Grove and going under the A40 Westway, the cheap end being around Acklam Road W10.
Then you drove right by the location of our antique shop - it's now the Mau Mau Bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.