U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 09:32 PM

909 posts, read 423,853 times

Advertisements

WOW! I never thought when I posted this two of my idols would be disparaged here. Jacque Pepin and Lidia Bastianich are icons IMHO.

I totally agree about the popularity of the game shows. What a waste of air time. And the lack of the more instructional shows is disheartening. Even Alton Brown has gone over to the dark side! I really miss Good Eats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 09:33 PM

12,448 posts, read 9,666,285 times
I enjoy most of the cooking shows, and if there's one I don't care for there's a quick solution: turn it off.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:42 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,124,757 times
Sadly the only one I watch now is a reality cooking show type program.
Top Chef. I'd watch Padma eat an apple through a fence in her tight frocks anytime.
But yes, the rag over the shoulder or around the waist bother me.
Rachel Ray used to throw all the trash into a cutesy bowl while cooking. Hated that!!!!
Mario, the Italian with orange clogs I couldn't watch because of his messy style.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/vid...itchen-0174208

But I used to LOVE Nadia G. And her Bitchin Kitchen show!!!

Old 02-25-2018, 09:59 PM

12,448 posts, read 9,666,285 times
I'm such a fan of food shows that I seek them out on all the streaming services.

Netflix just added "Ugly Delicious" to their offerings. It's a series about the best of various foods and how they differ around the world. It's by David Chang (Momofuku), one of the creators of the edgy foodie magazine "Luck Peach".

It's an excellent series.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:12 AM

3,408 posts, read 2,043,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I notice almost all chefs have a rag hanging off their belt and they use it frequently to wipe off everything including the plate before presentation. IMO a rather unsanitary practice.
Yeah, that one is a HUGE turn off for me. I almost hurl every time I see a chef do that. They are constantly wiping their hands with that towel/rag hanging from their side or even their apron and then use one of them to wipe the plated food with it.

And then the chefs who are constantly touching their hair or running their fingers through it right in the middle of prepping food. Rachel is a good one for this although I can't even stomach watching her anymore because I find her voice is so irritating, she thinks she is funny and is not plus, she also speaks over everyone of her guests.

And then I ran into the "PositivelyPaula" show a few times while channel surfing through regular network TV and she is constantly touching her hair as well. But the worst with Paula was once during food prep she started scratching her neck and then rests her hand between her neck and collar of her shirt while talking. Then she removes her hand from her neck to continue preparing more food and while talking she rubs her fingers together on that hand and looks at her nails like she is checking to see if anything she scratched came off on her fingernails. OMG, so gross! I find that her voice is also hard to listen to for very long.

I know, probably TMI but you asked!

Old 02-26-2018, 05:28 AM

6,181 posts, read 2,586,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Did you ever see Sara Moulton's Food Network show Cooking Live? She cooked a full dinner live while viewers called in and asked her questions. She had some things precut but always kept a few things back to show how to do it. In this one most of the artichokes are already prepared but she shows how to do it twice.
BTW, she's a fast talker.

https://youtu.be/mu0e1Q32LS8
Best cooking show ever, after the original Julia Child.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:34 AM

6,181 posts, read 2,586,674 times
My peeve:
Watching fatsos like Guy Fieri, Paula Deen (thankfully departed from TV), Ina Garten (and equally fat husband Jeffrey) cooking and/or eating greasy, fatty foods. Gross!!!

Old 02-26-2018, 06:03 AM

67,347 posts, read 77,062,310 times
I could care less if they use the term Dump; that isn't anything, but 2 things do bother me:

1-when they push their hair out of their face with their hands, when they don't wash their hands often enough and the number 1 gripe, which is what turned me off totally to Martha Stewart: measuring ingredients over the bowl. We learned in 8th grade foods classes to always measure ingredients away from the bowl. It would only take one little spill to ruin the entire dish you are making.

I have to admit I am not a huge watcher of foods programs anymore. They are nothing but competition types and programs like "the best thing I have ever eaten" of Carnival foods. Most of the time, the food just looks gross. I miss the originals like Ina, Rachael, Melissa, etc. PBS still has some good ones from time to time

Old 02-26-2018, 07:13 AM

28,865 posts, read 8,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
My peeve:
Watching fatsos like Guy Fieri, Paula Deen (thankfully departed from TV), Ina Garten (and equally fat husband Jeffrey) cooking and/or eating greasy, fatty foods. Gross!!!

Paula Deen is alive and well on TV. Her Positively Paula airs, and it's broadcast OTA, too.

However, as another poster noted, the head-scratching, etc is pretty gross. Memo to food preparers everywhere: Keep those cookin' hands and fingers away from your face!

But her dog, Lulu, is adorable.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:23 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,365,937 times
It is like the travel channel. In the beginning it was about travel. That changed quickly.....
Are they stil around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or