Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 12:04 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times

Advertisements

I liked watching Ming Tsai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 12:05 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I prefer the competition shows; the recipe shows get pretty boring as they desperately try to find some food that hasn't already been shown dozens of times. Like Martha Stewart doing a whole season on Middle Eastern foods. Yeah, they're delicious, but I'm not interested in making them.

We used to call Paula Deen "The Melta Sticka Butta Lady". Every recipe seemed to start with that one simple direction. I was kind of outraged when she tried to reposition herself as an advocate for healthy eating.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:10 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Me too! Pioneer Woman never scapes the bowl, and it drives me nuts. She also claims to be making a family meal, and it’s never enough food for 4 teens and 2 adults.
I know she's trying to make a TV show, but she often goes to a lot of unnecessary trouble--like, I'm sure the cowboys would be happy with a handful of Ruffles straight out of the bag, but no, Pioneer Woman has to make her own potato chips.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
"every one can make this dish"

id like to see the costs when they go to the specialty food shops how much are they paying for lamb chops for lobsters, etc.

sometimes id like them to use some very economical lower grade /leaner beef like select and show how to tenderize it and make it flavorful......its easy to make a good steak when you are using wagyu or prime grade which most of us do not use because its wayyyy too expensive
America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country is good for this. They are not specifically 'cooking on a budget' shows, but they are practical and frugal and not overly prissy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think the worst is Cutthroat Kitchen. It's weird, nasty, and just mean-spirited.
Strange. With a name like Cuthroat Kitchen, I'd have expected a half an hour of bottlefeeding orphaned kittens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Hear, hear! Ming is great. I also like Lydia Bastianich. I learn a lot from her show.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:10 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
When I took my FOODSAFE license (2 day course) it becomes pretty obvious that that Itallan guy with the towel on his shoulder should be banned from handling food. Or the people that p/u their cell phone, then walk into the kitchen without washing their hands, having just left the bathroom, without washing their hands. (I was the guy behined them)

The new women doing Euro cooking with her fingers loaded with costume jewelry rings?? Let's not even talk about the fashion sense.

Then again, "Master Chef JUNIOR" is the only show that makes any sense to me anywhay, and the only time I've seen Gordon Ramsey smile. !!

Old 02-26-2018, 01:15 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
I don't know why Giada has to show her cleavage every show, unless she just wants perverts tuning in for the view and not for cooking tips.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Me too! Pioneer Woman never scapes the bowl, and it drives me nuts. She also claims to be making a family meal, and it’s never enough food for 4 teens and 2 adults.
I really like Pioneer Woman's personality/sense of humor that comes through in her writing. Unfortunately, it doesn't come through on screen.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:30 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Simply Ming is still on PBS' Create TV where I live.

https://createtv.com/show/simply-ming

Old 02-26-2018, 02:11 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
Ii read somewhere that around the time Guy Fiere was hired by Food Network the producers wanted to attract more male viewers. Maybe that's why Giada's breasts get more close ups than the chicken's.

Back when Food Network first started they had some good shows like Taste with David Rosengarten and Dining Around with Nina Griscom and several different male co hosts who would go all over the country reviewing all sorts of restaurants from four star dining to hole in the wall places and debate them.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:22 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
I actually enjoy PBS cooking shows more than the ones on other channels. I love Jacque Pepin as I could actually learn something from him. Ditto with Lydia's Italian kitchen and that other Italian guy from Seattle (can't recall the name at the moment).

Re: Giada and her constant showing of cleavage, yeah, I don't get it either.

Chef who cooks with rows of rings on their fingers, eww! Disgusting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink