U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 08:44 PM

918 posts, read 451,046 times

Advertisements

I find that the bagged frozen fillets at Walmart and BJs to be great. I buy the salmon and cod. If you find cod strong try the pacific cod. I think its milder and it is easier to find.

I have found that I have better luck using the quick defrost method as when I defrost it overnight I either forget about it or it comes out of the vacuum package very wet. Just put the packaged portion in a bowl and cover it with cold water. Weight it down so it is submerged. Even thick pieces should be defrosted in 30 minutes or so and you may need to change the water once. Some of the packages say to run it under cold water but I find that wasteful and unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 08:45 PM

50,463 posts, read 49,809,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
I find that the bagged frozen fillets at Walmart and BJs to be great. I buy the salmon and cod. If you find cod strong try the pacific cod. I think its milder and it is easier to find.

I have found that I have better luck using the quick defrost method as when I defrost it overnight I either forget about it or it comes out of the vacuum package very wet. Just put the packaged portion in a bowl and cover it with cold water. Weight it down so it is submerged. Even thick pieces should be defrosted in 30 minutes or so and you may need to change the water once. Some of the packages say to run it under cold water but I find that wasteful and unnecessary.
That's how i do it, too. Put it in a bowl of cold water.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:21 PM

12,305 posts, read 9,922,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
All fish that you buy at the supermarket is “frozen”.
Depends on where you're located. Depends on the market. It just depends. This isn't true everywhere.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:54 AM

2,001 posts, read 737,178 times
I buy the frozen bags of unbreaded catfish nuggets, and panfry them, dipped in cornmeal.. They're good enough. Taste like catfish.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:40 AM

16,293 posts, read 19,783,666 times
I absolutely refuse to buy any frozen fish from China/Asia, and so much of the fish at Albertson's comes from Asia. No thanks!

I'm glad to see Wal-Mart is now offering more frozen fish from other parts of the world. The Steel Head Trout from Peru is awesome.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:04 AM

6,939 posts, read 2,942,063 times
It is worth the trip to a seafood market or grocery store with a fresh seafood counter.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:22 AM

68,699 posts, read 78,731,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We're making a serious attempt to eat more fish. Getting fresh fish means two trios to the grocery store for me, and I'm rarely happy with the prices. Typically, we eat salmon, catfish, tilapia, whole trout and ahi tuna.

Frozen fish would be really, really advantageous - no trip to the grocery and it's better priced. But I have never found frozen fish fillets that taste remotely good - it's either tasteless or fishy tasting.

Excluding shrimp and other shellfish, does any frozen fish taste GOOD?
Oh, I so agree.except I don't even think Shrimp tastes as good frozen. We got some fresh Shrimp a few weeks ago at Sam's. A lot more than we normally pay for our entree at night,but I had forgotten how really good it is. The one fish, I think is ok frozen is Salmon. I know, it isn't the same, but for the price, is what we normally can afford. Sometimes if the price is right I will buy a good size fresh piece, cut into to 2 or more meals and freeze it. I like that better than buying frozen from the freezer compartment at the grocery store. The one that I will never buy frozen again is tuna. I have tried it about 3 times; no flavor period.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:43 AM

7,557 posts, read 17,445,329 times
Costco sells individual frozen fillets of marinated salmon, which I absolutely love. I can't remember who packages them. We use to be able to get individual frozen flounder fillets with crab stuffing. About 3 years or so, they stopped selling them. Sea Pak packaged them and they were my reliable go to quick light meal. They diappeared overnight.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 AM

68 posts, read 59,202 times
We too like the flexibility of frozen seafood and have found several types at Publix. All are flash frozen and under the Publix branding. Our favorite is the grouper - 2 filets to the bag. We roast in oven with old bay on top and a squeeze of lemon juice to finish. Each fillet is about 130 calories. Delicious and very filling.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:00 AM

119 posts, read 36,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We're making a serious attempt to eat more fish. Getting fresh fish means two trios to the grocery store for me, and I'm rarely happy with the prices. Typically, we eat salmon, catfish, tilapia, whole trout and ahi tuna.
Frozen fish would be really, really advantageous - no trip to the grocery and it's better priced. But I have never found frozen fish fillets that taste remotely good - it's either tasteless or fishy tasting.
Excluding shrimp and other shellfish, does any frozen fish taste GOOD?
I grew up on coast (eating lotsa FRESH fish- usually same-day we CAUGHT them); I feel your pain!

Only 'sure-fire' tips I can give is to ALWAYS dip the 'non-fresh' fish in fresh-squeezed lemon juice BEFORE marinating/spicing, AND remove skin always before cooking/baking (UNLESS grilled over a fire - leave skin on). Nowadays the 'flash-frozen' fillets are fairly decent, but still not as great as fresh-same-day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink