U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 09:00 AM

32,778 posts, read 22,735,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Not surprisingly, I can't rep you AGAIN, DirtGringer. But I trust your judgement and will try these - except MAYBE the cod. We're had it fresh a couple of times and weren't enamoured (save when it was used for fish and chips in the UK).

Lots of the fish and chips that was "cod" in the UK wasn't really cod. Often dogfish. So, don't be shy to try it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 09:25 AM

2,720 posts, read 972,633 times
I have a friend who works in a restaurant and she says most of the frozen fish they use is fresher than the fresh they could buy. It's processed on the ship on which it's caught and they defrost nothing at the restaurant, they cook it frozen, which keeps it from overcooking. I've had no luck doing that as I find frozen supermarket fish to be full of water. Except for those shrink wrapped natural shaped individual pieces. They have no brand name, really, each market just puts a price sticker on.

I HATE tilapia because it has no taste whatsoever and is sold all over the US because they claim Americans don't like fishy tasting fish. I also hate the fancy names, like basa, for catfish, which I can tell is catfish.

I live on a peninsula surrounded by water and would love to know where to get a fresh fish for under $25 a pound, and that doesn't look like it's been sitting there for a month. An Asian market is something I'd go to weekly if only we had one. I just want a decent fish.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:51 AM

73 posts, read 80,207 times
Honestly, how fresh is that farm raised Chilean salmon by the time it makes it to your local market? Costco always seems to have Alaskan fish that has been flash frozen on the boat, which I feel is a better product.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:54 AM

28,570 posts, read 2,219,470 times
The last time we went to Costco, they only had Atlantic salmon, which is farmed & I do not want.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:45 AM

69,382 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Orange Roughy is fabulous baked with butter and lemon. Cod is very good, as is grouper.
I have said earlier there are really none that are good, but I would have to agree about Cod. as for Orange Roughy I do not, especially if you have tasted it fresh.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:36 AM

13,588 posts, read 16,105,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I buy frozen wild-caught salmon, and I think it's far better than the farm-raised crap. I've also gotten good frozen cod--again, sticking with the wild-caught.
A BIG +1!
I buy Costco's frozen wild-caught salmon fillets, which are sourced from Alaska. I thought that it was incredibly good, but rather than rely solely on my own perceptions, I served it to some friends who are true fish aficionados. They raved about the "freshness" and the flavor of that salmon, and when I showed them the package holding the remaining frozen salmon fillets, they were truly amazed that they had been eating frozen salmon.

I sauté the salmon in a small amount of oil, with fresh lemon slices, and I defy anyone to find a difference between that frozen salmon and fresh salmon. Additionally, anyone with an educated palate should be able to taste its superiority to any farm-raised salmon.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:56 PM

1,559 posts, read 831,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I like the Trident Brand at Costco, they do an excellent beer battered cod, which I use for fish & chips. They also have a frozen tillapia, but I can't comment on it, as DH won;t eat tilapia. They also make really great fish sticks, which are made from small filets of whole pollack, not minced fish. They make great fish tacos, & I will admit to loving fish sticks lol I have yet to try the other types.
Trident is a good company and has some great products. The "Ultimate" fish stick has an interesting back story. Founder and then CEO questioned, why don't people buy fish sticks anymore? They purchased and tested what was on the market at the time and discovered breading content made up to 60% of the content and the fish was pressed from mince product. He decided Trident can do it better and now make a tasty and filling product.

There Tilapia is good too.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:01 PM

1,559 posts, read 831,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
I had a bad experience with Trident crab cakes and fish sticks - both purchased at Costco. I contacted them to make a complaint and it was not a positive outcome since there seemed to be communication issues. I then read that they use some less than appetizing practices in processing fish and crabs. Now I stick with USA made products only. You need to keep checking because things change frequently.
Unfortunate you got some bad product.

I'm in the commercial seafood industry and worked for Trident 2003-11 mostly in support of their Alaska and WA State processing facilities. I know there is some process in China but last I was aware the Fish Sticks are produced from their Anacortes, WA plant.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:06 PM

1,572 posts, read 552,010 times
We always buy fresh. Frozen never tastes as it should. Making that extra trip is worth the fresh taste IMO

Old 02-28-2018, 01:09 PM

28,570 posts, read 2,219,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Trident is a good company and has some great products. The "Ultimate" fish stick has an interesting back story. Founder and then CEO questioned, why don't people buy fish sticks anymore? They purchased and tested what was on the market at the time and discovered breading content made up to 60% of the content and the fish was pressed from mince product. He decided Trident can do it better and now make a tasty and filling product.

There Tilapia is good too.

Thank you sockeye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink