Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 01:14 PM

32,756 posts, read 35,956,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really? I buy frozen wild-caught salmon, and I think it's far better than the farm-raised crap. I've also gotten good frozen cod--again, sticking with the wild-caught.

I don't like either catfish or tilapia. I think catfish is going to have that fishy taste no matter how it comes, and tilapia just tastes like something that's going bad to me.

I bought some individually-wrapped pieces of frozen fish a couple of weeks ago. Salmon, Tuna, and Swordfish, and they were all good. Again, I don't buy the farmed fish. It's not the same nutritionally because it has less of the Omega-3 and more Omega-6 because of what they feed it, and I don't think it tastes right, either.
You'd have to pay me to eat farmed tilapia or catfish. They don't taste right to me, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 02:25 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,850,255 times
not sure how ecologically correct it was- but we enjoyed a package of wild caught lightly battered (it was a gluten free, more tempura style batter, which I like a lot better than heavy breading) Alaskan Pollock- the brand was "Treasures from the Sea"- really delicious not "fishy" tender fillets. I fried them from frozen and they came out perfectly moist and tender - in fact better than the local fish and chip place we occasionally enjoy- really pleased with the purchase.

(the package said to oven bake them, but I was craving deep fried, and just used an inch or so of canola oil in a frying pan)....

Old 02-28-2018, 02:34 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,437,003 times
We love the frozen Mahi Mahi, cod, and grouper we find at Wegman's grocery store. It is US caught, each filet is individually frozen and packaged, and it is delicious. It is not cheap. No foreign caught/raised fish for us.

We also only purchase wild caught US shrimp. Our preferred brand is Wood's. The shrimp are quite large and delicious..and expensive. We would NEVER eat Asian raised shrimp...too many issues. Yes, it is cheaper, but the flavor is missing and the cleanliness is questionable.

We don't like the high prices of the fish we buy but it is worth it to us to enjoy the flavor and wholesomeness of it.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:48 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,172,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really? I buy frozen wild-caught salmon, and I think it's far better than the farm-raised crap. I've also gotten good frozen cod--again, sticking with the wild-caught.
I have to disagree with you on this one. I find farm raised Atlantic salmon preferable in flavor and texture to all but King salmon (which is very difficult to find outside the PNW).

This has nothing to do with its being farm raised, but merely because Atlantic salmon is a superior fish to most of the species that are wild caught. In my personal opinion, of course. It is the closest to King salmon in fattiness and flavor.

I do understand the negative environmental implications of farm raised salmon, and follow the developments in improving this method of aquaculture. I am afraid with wild fish stocks diminishing and demand for fish increasing, it is important to demand that fish farmers improve their methods both for environmental sustainability and quality of product.

Oh, and on the subject of freezing fish, I believe all salmon is frozen after the catch to kill parasites. If you are buying a salmon from a supermarket, or even a fishmonger on the dock, the fish was frozen.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:58 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,750,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
...as for Orange Roughy I do not...
That is called an opinion. I've cooked plenty of frozen Orange Roughy and guests rave about the flavor.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:03 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,856,103 times
Hmmm....I buy frozen fish all the time. Usually cod or "Swai" which I had never heard of 'til I had it in Florida. It's individually wrapped and frozen. I wish I could pass on the brand name, but I don't remember!

Old 02-28-2018, 03:06 PM

127,583 posts, read 11,762,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Hmmm....I buy frozen fish all the time. Usually cod or "Swai" which I had never heard of 'til I had it in Florida. It's individually wrapped and frozen. I wish I could pass on the brand name, but I don't remember!
Swai is an Asian Catfish, I think the American catfish farmers, lobbied to prevent it from being called catfish in the USA. I used to eat it, but after reading about some of the fish farming methods used in Asia, I went off it.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:09 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,856,103 times
Hmmm...it doesn't look nor taste ANYTHING like catfish. It's very flat, like flounder, and doesn't taste fishy at all, catfish has a definite unique flavor.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:10 PM

127,583 posts, read 11,762,901 times
It is a Vietnamese catfish

When I ate it, I liked it, but after reading about how they feed them manure I gave it up. See up thread about manure.

https://draxe.com/swai-fish/

Old 02-28-2018, 03:12 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,750,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Swai is an Asian Catfish...
It's also marketed as Basa. I used to cook it and I thought it had a wonderful rich flavor, almost like soft-scrambled eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink