U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 11:11 AM

18,847 posts, read 12,473,150 times

Advertisements

I’d go with stainless, too. I love my IP, and I am so hapoy with how easily the pot cleans up.

I have a stovetop cooker that is almost 20 years old. It is stainless, and I have been able to keep it clean without much effort.

I have an electric rice cooker that is about 15 years old. Its non stick coating is really pitted and worn. I’ve only ever made rice in it! Non stick coatings tend to wear out before the pot does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 11:42 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Don't you just hate it when the pressure cooker BLOWS UP?
These newer electric ones have a bunch of safety features. I haven't heard of any blowing up. There are two ways it can be dangerous, though. First, if you cook something thick (oatmeal, applesauce, etc) or overfill the pot and then open the pressure valve as soon as the timer stops, you can get burned by hot food coming out of the valve. Second, sometimes when you take the lid off the food inside will suddenly come to a rapid boil (because the boiling point is lower at regular atmospheric pressure) and it could splatter on you.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:02 PM

9,265 posts, read 7,289,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Has the nonstick coating in the Power Pressure XL peeled? Mine peeled almost right away, even though I was really careful with it.
Nope.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:14 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,695,291 times
Imo, these things are only good for certain types of dishes. They're a bit hyped up, I've got 2 and I do occasionally cook with them but they have limited functions. For example you can't really sear and saute. These cookers are only good for making soft foods.

Most people should complement their cooker with a dutch oven. It is not that expensive but does so many things that the pressure cookers can't do well. Like frying and sear. It can also be used for making stews.

Searing is probably the most important step before throwing any thick protein into the cooker.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:23 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Imo, these things are only good for certain types of dishes. They're a bit hyped up, I've got 2 and I do occasionally cook with them but they have limited functions. For example you can't really sear and saute. These cookers are only good for making soft foods...
It seems most people here have gone to the InstaPot, which does allow for searing and making more flavorful dishes. However, I do agree about the basic pressure cooker. I quit using ours.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:41 PM

1,868 posts, read 1,040,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
I'm looking to buy a pressure cooker, a 6 quart size.

Do you prefer a stainless steel insert or a non-stick coating? I read that the stainless lasts longer. Is that true?

Also, what brand do you like? Is Instant Pot the best?

Thanks.
I bought the Instant Pot only because it's got the SS insert. It's very easy to clean too. Just judging by my pot cabinet I can tell you stainless lasts a lot longer and looks in much better shape than the non stick and aluminum pans.

Mine has a saute option which I use to saute veggies for whatever I'm making before I pressure cook it.

Instant Pot is all the rave now.. I would wait until it comes down in price, or ever check second hand stores. Some people don't like them and dump them.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:52 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,275,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Has the nonstick coating in the Power Pressure XL peeled? Mine peeled almost right away, even though I was really careful with it.
I have a power pressure xl. My nonstick coating hasn't peeled and I've had mine for two years now.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:58 PM

13,563 posts, read 16,066,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I have a Power Pressure XL and a T-fal.
In their test of electric pressure cookers, Consumer Reports noted that the Power Pressure XL took 3 times as long to come up to full pressure as the better competitors--which essentially negates one of the big advantages of an electric pressure cooker. Additionally, the warranty on the Power Pressure XL was far shorter than the warranty of its competitors. As a result of those 2 BIG negatives, they rated the Power Pressure XL as... Do Not Buy.

CR's top-rated electric pressure cookers were the Fagor and the Cuisinart. They also said that the Instant Pot was decent. I bought a Fagor--with non-stick coating--and I really like it. It is my newest kitchen toy.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:39 PM

18,847 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In their test of electric pressure cookers, Consumer Reports noted that the Power Pressure XL took 3 times as long to come up to full pressure as the better competitors--which essentially negates one of the big advantages of an electric pressure cooker. Additionally, the warranty on the Power Pressure XL was far shorter than the warranty of its competitors. As a result of those 2 BIG negatives, they rated the Power Pressure XL as... Do Not Buy.

CR's top-rated electric pressure cookers were the Fagor and the Cuisinart. They also said that the Instant Pot was decent. I bought a Fagor--with non-stick coating--and I really like it. It is my newest kitchen toy.
If I had not bought an IP, I would have bought a Fagor. I think Fagor makes a good product.

By the way, I can saute in my old Fagor stovetop PC. I donít know why you could not saute in any stainless PC. But you canít do a very good job sauteing in a non stick pot.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,695,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It seems most people here have gone to the InstaPot, which does allow for searing and making more flavorful dishes. However, I do agree about the basic pressure cooker. I quit using ours.
Any hot surface can be used to sear but it's ridiculous to use the IP for that when you can just drop the pan and get a simple sear on wide piece of meat especially chops and steak.

What I use the IP for is the cook tough meat off bones that I can't do easily with an open pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or