U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 08:46 PM

626 posts, read 445,139 times

Advertisements

I MUCH preferred my Fagor to my InstaPot but I was persuaded by the stainless insert. We use no other nonstick and the Fagor insert was looking rough and freaking me out so I bought an IP. The IP requires much more fluid in it to come up to pressure and fails to come up to pressure more often than it succeeds. Also, since I am experienced, I do not use any of the InstaPot "programs" and always use manual mode, which entirely negates the expense of the IP. However most of its "programs" are just heat and soak time added to a full pressure "cook time" so they are wasteful anyway. I can either make my veggie chili using the manual mode for 10min or use the "chili program" and have it take like an hour because it just sits there being vaguely warm for 30min as part of its "program."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:06 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,281,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In their test of electric pressure cookers, Consumer Reports noted that the Power Pressure XL took 3 times as long to come up to full pressure as the better competitors--which essentially negates one of the big advantages of an electric pressure cooker. Additionally, the warranty on the Power Pressure XL was far shorter than the warranty of its competitors. As a result of those 2 BIG negatives, they rated the Power Pressure XL as... Do Not Buy.

CR's top-rated electric pressure cookers were the Fagor and the Cuisinart. They also said that the Instant Pot was decent. I bought a Fagor--with non-stick coating--and I really like it. It is my newest kitchen toy.
I bought the power pressure xl because the folks at the store on military base recommended it to me. I had a coupon/gift certificate, too, so I paid only $50 for it. Can't speak to how long it takes to come to full pressure relative to competitors as this is the only pressure cooker that I'm familiar with, but it generally takes about 10 minutes to pressure if I'm using for the first time in a while, but significantly shorter if the device is already "hot."

Old 02-27-2018, 09:41 PM

26,878 posts, read 28,163,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
I MUCH preferred my Fagor to my InstaPot but I was persuaded by the stainless insert. We use no other nonstick and the Fagor insert was looking rough and freaking me out so I bought an IP. The IP requires much more fluid in it to come up to pressure and fails to come up to pressure more often than it succeeds. Also, since I am experienced, I do not use any of the InstaPot "programs" and always use manual mode, which entirely negates the expense of the IP. However most of its "programs" are just heat and soak time added to a full pressure "cook time" so they are wasteful anyway. I can either make my veggie chili using the manual mode for 10min or use the "chili program" and have it take like an hour because it just sits there being vaguely warm for 30min as part of its "program."
I use manual mode most of the time. I haven't had issues coming up to pressure more than once - I forgot to close the valve.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:22 PM

18,885 posts, read 12,490,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Any hot surface can be used to sear but it's ridiculous to use the IP for that when you can just drop the pan and get a simple sear on wide piece of meat especially chops and steak.

What I use the IP for is the cook tough meat off bones that I can't do easily with an open pot.
If you are cooking meat, you can sear it in the IP first, then cook under pressure, just as you might with a stovetop cooker. If you do not intend to use pressure, then, obviously, you would use cast iron or a dutch oven or a chef’s pan.

I don’t think anyone would use the IP to sear unless they intended to cook a stew or a braise under pressure.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:27 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,139,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
...I donít think anyone would use the IP to sear unless they intended to cook a stew or a braise under pressure.
Exactly.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:14 AM

652 posts, read 1,151,214 times
Thanks all. I'm looking into the Instant Pot Duo 60, and the Cosori Multi-cooker. They're both 6 quart with stainless steel pots.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07414FZLW..._t1_B06VV9M11N

Old 02-28-2018, 02:28 AM

33,596 posts, read 51,807,704 times
My son and I have this, and we love it!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009A9XU...161536986&th=1
The pressure pot and Dutch oven are the most used cooking ware in our households.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Don't you just hate it when the pressure cooker BLOWS UP?
No. Modern pressure cooker DOESN'T blow up. It happened perhaps 40-50 years ago when the product was not as sophisticated AND people didn't know how to properly use it.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:20 AM

4,445 posts, read 5,172,548 times
Research your pressure cookers very well. Before I bought mine, I read reviews about handles coming off and poor surface quality. This is what we decided on with no regrets:

Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Stainless-Steel Stockpot Pressure Cooker - 6.3-Qt
Kuhn Rikon

At first it seemed huge and I didn't know what to do with it, but someone wrote to use one for the first time, just boil water to learn how it works. Three times in the first year I scorched some food but the pot is very well made so there was no damage. We make Indian food and chick pea patties here so I can cook a bag of chick peas in 17 minutes which taste so much better than canned. The price is well worth this one!

Old 03-01-2018, 12:28 PM

652 posts, read 1,151,214 times
Is a 6 quart pressure cooker too big to make rice for 2 people? My wife and I make rice at least once a week. Our rice cooker just went bad, so we thought about buying a pressure cooker, instead of a rice cooker. But now I'm thinking we should have a rice cooker, and we already have a slow cooker anyway.

And we rarely eat meat, so I don't know how often we would use a pressure cooker.

Any thoughts ?

Old 03-01-2018, 12:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 18,902,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Is a 6 quart pressure cooker too big to make rice for 2 people? My wife and I make rice at least once a week. Our rice cooker just went bad, so we thought about buying a pressure cooker, instead of a rice cooker. But now I'm thinking we should have a rice cooker, and we already have a slow cooker anyway.

And we rarely eat meat, so I don't know how often we would use a pressure cooker.

Any thoughts ?
Do you eat beans? You can cook unsoaked beans in about an hour in a pressure cooker.

And it wouldn't be too big to cook rice, the rice cooks for the same time whether you're cooking one cup or six.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or