Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 01:08 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,117 times

Advertisements

Thanks. Yes, we eat beans. It seems the reviews are mixed about how well pressure cookers cook rice though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 01:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
Mine makes perfect rice. The Instant Pot comes with a measuring cup for rice which is about 3/4 cup. I use one cup water for every measuring cup of rice, and add a bit of salt and butter, then cook on high for 3 minutes and leave it to do a natural release for 12 minutes. That method has worked every time. It has a rice button, but I prefer the other method.

Most of the rice problems I see in the IP group come from too much water or too little water.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Thanks. Yes, we eat beans. It seems the reviews are mixed about how well pressure cookers cook rice though.
I cook brown rice in my 6 qt IP. I prefer that rice to the rice my rice cooker does, and it was state of the art when I bought it in the early aughts.

In answer to another question about rice, I cook 1 C of brown rice and then reheat portions in the micro, when needed for us two. So far this works fine. If I owned another, smaller cooker, I'd use it to make smaller quantities of brown rice at a time, in place of my rice cooker. So far, I haven't made up my mind to purchase the 3 qt, which is what I see myself doing to cook rice and potatoes in, to accompany an IP meal.

I did have to do rice several times to finally get it right.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:21 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,117 times
I looked at the 6 quart Instant Pot today at Kohl's, and that thing is HUGE ! I'm re-thinking the pressure cooker idea.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Do you eat beans? You can cook unsoaked beans in about an hour in a pressure cooker...
I've tried that several times, but the pressure cooker just didn't produce that rich, creamy, soupy bean broth I get with a four-hour stovetop cook.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I've tried that several times, but the pressure cooker just didn't produce that rich, creamy, soupy bean broth I get with a four-hour stovetop cook.
You get much better beans with an overnight soak before cooking in the IP.

Even with a stovetop PC, a 4 hour soak before cooking produced superior beans.

You might be able to find a chart with bean cook times online. But most IP ir PC cookbooks will have a similar chart.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:47 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,186,291 times
IMHO, the Presto 8 qt stainless steel pressure cooker ($65) is ideal.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-8-...01370/10771203

Plus, it will fit nicely with this Tramontina pot:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontin...r-Set/19581116

Diameter: 9.344 inches (24cm); lid and steamer insert will fit Presto 8 qt pressure cooker

{{Great for separating meat and stock cooked in pressure cooker}}

Old 03-02-2018, 01:02 AM

658 posts, read 2,005,875 times
Quote:
Thanks all. I'm looking into the Instant Pot Duo 60, and the Cosori Multi-cooker. They're both 6 quart with stainless steel pots.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07414FZLW..._t1_B06VV9M11N

I have the 6qt Duo and love it. I talked my sister into the Cosori and she loves hers. if i were buying now I would get the Cosori for the functions mine doesn't have. Just today I made a dozen hard cooked eggs, then I made 6 medium potatoes to use various ways with the ones not eaten at dinner. Check youtube for videos that compare the two. Happy cooking!

I forgot the Cosori comes with an extra sealing ring and a glass lid. Instant Pot does not and they will cost about $22 or more to buy for the Instant Pot. Also the pot has better markings inside than my Instant Pot's 1/2 and full markings.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:05 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
...Even with a stovetop PC, a 4 hour soak before cooking produced superior beans...
I tried several soaking times with the pressure cooker. My stovetop beans are just so much better than pressure cooker beans.

BTW - I just completed a slow-cooked batch of beans on the stove and put them in the fridge twenty minutes ago. I like to have something cooking while I'm working through the night.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:26 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,916,678 times
Quote:
I looked at the 6 quart Instant Pot today at Kohl's, and that thing is HUGE ! I'm re-thinking the pressure cooker idea.
I had a hard time with that originally, but my intention was to replace my oblong crockpot with the IP, so storage-wise, it fit in the same place. Unfortunately, I decided that I couldn't give up my crockpot so I had to do some re-arranging so the IP would fit inside the pantry cupboard when it wasn't being used. I have limited counter space and the only appliances that don't get relegated to the pantry are my coffee pot and toaster oven.

It's been worth it I tell ya - I find myself dragging it out of the cupboard several times a week. I have really enjoyed using it and cooking different things I didn't expect to at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink