U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:23 PM

18,852 posts, read 12,481,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I had a hard time with that originally, but my intention was to replace my oblong crockpot with the IP, so storage-wise, it fit in the same place. Unfortunately, I decided that I couldn't give up my crockpot so I had to do some re-arranging so the IP would fit inside the pantry cupboard when it wasn't being used. I have limited counter space and the only appliances that don't get relegated to the pantry are my coffee pot and toaster oven.

It's been worth it I tell ya - I find myself dragging it out of the cupboard several times a week. I have really enjoyed using it and cooking different things I didn't expect to at first.
This was my experience as well. I made room for mine under my cooktop, moving pans around. I made posole last night and it was good. Later today I would like to steam cook some eggs. And I ‘ve got individual servings of steel cut oats in the fridge.

Such a versatile appliance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 12:49 PM

652 posts, read 1,150,749 times
Thanks all. Do you cook a lot of things in your PC other than meat? Because we rarely eat meat.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:20 PM
KCZ

1,549 posts, read 763,870 times
How well do flavors develop with the shorter cooking times compared to a crockpot or regular braising?

Old 03-02-2018, 01:37 PM

I braise kale in mine, and it is the best kale I’ve ever eaten. I also saute sliced onions, and add other sliced veggies for a mixed veggie side. I also have cooked mushrooms and they were good. And brown rice also turns out well.

I steam cook eggs and make steel cut oats.

Do an internet search for vegetarian IP recipes for an idea about what you can do. My newest PC cookbook does have several vegetarian recipes. So I know people can use their cookers to make meatless dishes.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
How well do flavors develop with the shorter cooking times compared to a crockpot or regular braising?
Very well usually. Some chilis taste better the next day. But I prefer the flavors so far to slow cooker food.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:06 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,892,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Thanks all. Do you cook a lot of things in your PC other than meat? Because we rarely eat meat.
Beans, rice, rice pudding, yogurt, mac and cheese, pasta with alfredo sauce. I cook whole potatoes in it, much faster than baking them. It's good for baby carrots too. I haven't had good luck with more delicate veggies.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:41 PM

652 posts, read 1,150,749 times
Thanks. Does any PC cookbook's recipes work with any PC ? Or does it have to be for your specific cooker ?

I read that liquid has to be used in a pressure cooker. Doesn't that make things like "baked" potatoes soggy?

Old 03-02-2018, 02:45 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,892,348 times
You can use any recipe. It's easiest to get the Instant Pot because all the recipes are for it, but you can adapt once you figure out which buttons do what, even with another brand.

I use a rack for the potatoes. The water goes under the rack. You don't get crispy potato skins like you do in the oven, but the potatoes don't get soggy.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:47 PM

Roasted things will not be the same. If you love crisp skinned baked potatoes, then make those in the oven. But pressure cooking them is great for mashed.

The IP is good for boiling, steaming, braising.

The manufacturer will inform you in users’ guide how much water you need. You can learn more about this at the Hip Pressure Cooking website.

IP needs 1C of liquid.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:43 PM

691 posts, read 349,583 times
I use a 20-year-old aluminum Mirro. It's still going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or