Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 02:13 PM

857 posts, read 959,396 times

Advertisements

You may or may not know, if you cook for one person, it's actually cheaper to eat out than buying all ingredients and cook a dish at home, because all the ingredients needed.

I wonder if that phenomenon exists in cookies making, since it uses fewer ingredients?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 02:22 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
It depends on the sort of cookies you're making. If you're sticking to basic sorts, you can do up a master dough, then divvy it out into the different types of cookies you want, portion the cookies, freeze the dough, then bake X amount as needed. Or if there's nothing in the world you want except a chocolate chip cookie, you can make double or triple batches and freeze the dough.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:46 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Review your preparation and cooking time to help you decide which is best for you.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:51 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
You may or may not know, if you cook for one person, it's actually cheaper to eat out than buying all ingredients and cook a dish at home, because all the ingredients needed.
Um, no. I have a refrigerator and eat leftovers. There's no way I could eat out for the same cost as eating IN, which I do for almost all meals.

You can plan how to use ingredients, you know, so they don't go to waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I wonder if that phenomenon exists in cookies making, since it uses fewer ingredients?
I don't have cookies in the house very often (too easy to eat too many!), but occasionally I will bake them. I don't do THAT very often either, though ... again, the too-easy-to-eat-too-many thing!

I should make dough and freeze it in small portions. (Thanks, Weezycom. I just never seem to think to do this.)

Old 02-27-2018, 02:53 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Fresh home made cookies are so superior to store bought that the difference in price shouldn’t matter

Old 02-27-2018, 02:56 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Fresh home made cookies are so superior to store bought that the difference in price shouldn’t matter
Good point! Alas, I only like CRISPY cookies (soft cookies make me gag). I still haven't been able to consistently make them very crisp (like Tate's, if you know that brand, or the crisp Pepperidge Farm cookies, even, or Famous Amos, although I haven't seen those around lately).

Old 02-27-2018, 03:04 PM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Baked goods like cookies have about the highest mark-ups of all grocery products. Flour, sugar, and oil/shortening are cheap and you pay a lot in a store for a small box of cookies. If you use butter (I do), that raises the price of the homemade cookies slightly, but not that much.

Make a big batch of cookies and freeze most of them (or freeze the dough) and enjoy the freshness and the savings.

It's never cheaper to eat out than to cook or bake at home unless you buy ingredients in such large quantities that you end up throwing most of them away. Learn to make use of the bulk section of the supermarket. You can get just one cup of flour or one teaspoon of an herb or spice if that's all you need, and the cost is pennies.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:26 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
This. I don't even like most store-bought cookies. I find it is cheaper to make them myself, with the exception of brownies. I find I can't make them as well as from a mix. And I get the mix on sale.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:52 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
I can't stand most store bought cookies. There are a few bakeries that have killer cookies...but those prices are outrageous in the US.

This will seem odd, but here in my little village in Mexico, the BEST cookies are the ones that are sold loose at the local drug store.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:52 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um, no. I have a refrigerator and eat leftovers. There's no way I could eat out for the same cost as eating IN, which I do for almost all meals.

You can plan how to use ingredients, you know, so they don't go to waste.

I don't have cookies in the house very often (too easy to eat too many!), but occasionally I will bake them. I don't do THAT very often either, though ... again, the too-easy-to-eat-too-many thing!

I should make dough and freeze it in small portions. (Thanks, Weezycom. I just never seem to think to do this.)

I agree, you can cook for one very cheaply. When I was single, I would buy the family packs of meat or chicken, & freeze them, & take out one chop or chicken piece for my dinner. Same with veg, buy a very small amount, fresh, or open a frozen bag & take out enough for one meal. There is no way that eating out is cheaper. It is more convenient, but it is not cheaper. Things like a bag of pasta or rice will keep, & you can get many meals out of it. As for cookies, I try not to eat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink