U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 06:35 AM

6,360 posts, read 3,065,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
This thread was inspired by existing "What's for breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack?" threads. We don't have a thread for the late-night meal you eat after coming home from going out. (The one Taco Bell refers to as "fourthmeal".) What would be your food of choice? Factor in all forms of "going out", provided that enough time passed since dinner to get hungry again: boozing and dancing until 3:00 AM, a low-key night of board games, and anything in-between..
3:00 AM?!? I wish I had your life. Oh wait ... I did. And I think I'm still recovering 20+ years later. LOL!

But waaaaaaay back in the day, my go-to late night meal was usually Totino's Pizza Rolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 06:48 AM

5,218 posts, read 7,416,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Twenty-minute soft-scrambled eggs cooked in European butter. I love watching the expressions of those who try them for the first time. Of course, there are always those who prefer them overcooked.
Perfect! Almost everyone overcooks scrambled eggs, which is why I never order scrambled eggs in a restaurant. They need to be cooked low and slow, and most people donít realize that scrambled eggs keep cooking for a minute or so on the plate.

My favorite is the 40 minute scrambled egg recipe from James Beard:

4 extra large or 5 large eggs
Salt
fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp cream
2 tbsp butter, maybe 3 (donít even think about using margarine)

Beat eggs just until the yolks and whites are combined, donít over-beat. Sprinkle in salt and crack pepper into the eggs. Beat in cream.

Heat a medium skillet over medium heat for one minute. Put in 2 tbsp butter and turn heat down to low. You donít want the pan to be too hot when you add the eggs. Spread the butter out when it melts. Make sure the pan is completely covered with butter, if not, add another tbsp. This can vary due to size of your pan.

Stir eggs in the pan. Cook and stir over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes and serve on warm plates. 2 servings.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:02 AM

48,300 posts, read 48,118,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
This thread was inspired by existing "What's for breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack?" threads. We don't have a thread for the late-night meal you eat after coming home from going out. (The one Taco Bell refers to as "fourthmeal".) What would be your food of choice? Factor in all forms of "going out", provided that enough time passed since dinner to get hungry again: boozing and dancing until 3:00 AM, a low-key night of board games, and anything in-between.

The floor is open!

To start with my own input, it'd be a Hot Pocket if I want something warm, or a bologna sandwich if I just want to fill my stomach. Something I can make without effort or an attention span. Because tiredness, alcohol, or both.
I have to reach back in my memory to the days when I stayed out that late, but usually we didn't eat at home. When the bars closed at 3, everybody went to the diner and had either breakfast or a burger.

I used to get two eggs over easy with sausage, french fries instead of home fries, and rye toast.

When I am home alone and stay up late (which might mean after midnight ) I have peanut butter on a cinnamon raisin English muffin. When I am at the bf's and we stay up and listen to music, he sometimes makes us grilled cheese.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:03 AM

Location: Currently in CT but have recently started construction for our retirement home in NH
249 posts, read 185,327 times
Another vote for left-over pasta. If not available, chicken pot pies always worked for me.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Perfect! Almost everyone overcooks scrambled eggs, which is why I never order scrambled eggs in a restaurant. They need to be cooked low and slow, and most people donít realize that scrambled eggs keep cooking for a minute or so on the plate.

My favorite is the 40 minute scrambled egg recipe from James Beard:

4 extra large or 5 large eggs
Salt
fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp cream
2 tbsp butter, maybe 3 (donít even think about using margarine)

Beat eggs just until the yolks and whites are combined, donít over-beat. Sprinkle in salt and crack pepper into the eggs. Beat in cream.

Heat a medium skillet over medium heat for one minute. Put in 2 tbsp butter and turn heat down to low. You donít want the pan to be too hot when you add the eggs. Spread the butter out when it melts. Make sure the pan is completely covered with butter, if not, add another tbsp. This can vary due to size of your pan.

Stir eggs in the pan. Cook and stir over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes and serve on warm plates. 2 servings.
Wowwww. 40 minutes?? To cook eggs? One of the things I love about eggs is that they cook so quickly. I can't imagine waiting 40 minutes for my eggs to cook. (Especially at 3am! LOL)

Old 03-01-2018, 07:23 AM

2,713 posts, read 1,060,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
3:00 AM?!? I wish I had your life. Oh wait ... I did. And I think I'm still recovering 20+ years later. LOL!

But waaaaaaay back in the day, my go-to late night meal was usually Totino's Pizza Rolls.
Such night are rare for me today, although they do happen occasionally. On most going-out nights, I get home between 10:00 PM and 1:00 AM, depending what I did and where I went. Some days we stop at Denny's et al., but not every time. Hence, this thread.

I like pasta too, but when I've been out and my attention span is shot, I want something I can make and eat without utensils. And grilled cheese is out; I sure wouldn't want to use a stove or an electric grill while in that state .

Old 03-01-2018, 07:33 AM

3,841 posts, read 5,823,018 times
Well, I'm old so "going out" is either an overnight or home by 8~9pm. In all cases I've planned eating around the activity, so I'll have eaten in the 5~7pm time frame and won't eat again until 7am the next morning.

There are rare exceptions where I'm out and plan a late lunch (3pm-ish) and will then not eat again till 7am.

Eating later than 7pm and I'll have heartburn all night, won't get any sleep and will be miserable the whole next day. Not worth it, even if I have to offend someone by showing up at their dinner party having already eaten (a couple of my in-laws are terrible about this, think that eating at 9~10pm is normal, there's a reason they're overweight and can't lose it).

Old 03-01-2018, 07:43 AM

13,803 posts, read 16,628,204 times
[quote=Mightyqueen801;51180226]I have to reach back in my memory to the days when I stayed out that late, but usually we didn't eat at home. When the bars closed at 3, everybody went to the diner and had either breakfast or a burger.

/QUOTE]

I'd forgotten about those late night diner visits!!! I'd always order the basket of onion rings -
the type that were huge and battered, delivered on paper to soak up a bit if the oil. I think they were beer battered.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:48 AM

We didn't have diners where I lived in my 20's when I would stay out late, but we had Waffle House. To this day, I'm convinced all the grease in a big plate of Scattered, Covered, and Chunked works some voodoo magic to avoid hangovers.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:53 AM

2,713 posts, read 1,060,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
We didn't have diners where I lived in my 20's when I would stay out late, but we had Waffle House. To this day, I'm convinced all the grease in a big plate of Scattered, Covered, and Chunked works some voodoo magic to avoid hangovers.
Waffle House counts as a diner. I live in the Midwest, where Denny's is the go-to diner at 3:00 AM. In the past, it was IHOP. It's still around, but it fell into obscurity over the last 10 years.

I'm actually the opposite of Brian_M. When I come home from going out, I need to eat something. If I go to bed on an empty stomach, I get rumbling and hunger pains, then wake up too early from the hunger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or