U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 11:51 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Wowwww. 40 minutes?? To cook eggs? One of the things I love about eggs is that they cook so quickly. I can't imagine waiting 40 minutes for my eggs to cook. (Especially at 3am! LOL)
Oh, hell, no.

Not even talking 3 a.m. I scramble eggs most mornings for a two-year old, and a 40-minute affair of stirring is NOT in the cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 11:53 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have to reach back in my memory to the days when I stayed out that late, but usually we didn't eat at home. When the bars closed at 3, everybody went to the diner and had either breakfast or a burger.

I used to get two eggs over easy with sausage, french fries instead of home fries, and rye toast.

This was me in my 20s. Bar close, then on to the local 24-hour diner. Coffee, omelet, buttered rye toast.

Then, no waking up to dishes.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:06 PM

28,205 posts, read 2,196,057 times
I normally have leftovers from eating out, so if I was hungry I might take some of that, but I try not to eat late at night any more, so I go straight to bed, however if I had some terrible hunger at 3 am, it would be some cereal or a fiber bar. No cooking for sure. Years ago when I was young & single if I stumbled in home, hungry, I ate crackers with butter & garlic powder. lol Those were the days.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:21 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times
If I have been drinking, I want some fat to slow the absorption of alcohol and some salt to retain water, preventing dehydration. This I find is the ideal combination to stave off the possibility of a hangover.

A fast food meal fits this profile with high sodium and high fat, but I don't want to consume too many calories or sodium since I have already been drinking high calorie beverages, and it is really just overkill and also filled with preservatives and whatnot, so instead I want a small amount of food which must also be satiating and reasonably healthy.

Thus, my post going out meal is usually a handful (~1/4 cup) of salted roasted almonds and about 2 ounces of cheese. Comes in at about 350-400 calories. Doesn't distend my stomach, and is reasonably healthy unlike fast food.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:26 PM

9,186 posts, read 10,131,783 times
The best would be smoked chubs, but they have fallen victim to the zebra mussel. Second choice would be pickled herring or pickled herring followed by a chocolate sundae. Third choice would be belly lox and cream cheese followed by cookies and milk.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:01 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Years ago when I was young & single if I stumbled in home, hungry, I ate crackers with butter & garlic powder. lol Those were the days.
That strikes me more as a beer snack than a post-going-out meal. But it might work after a "calm" night or if I'm not very hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The best would be smoked chubs, but they have fallen victim to the zebra mussel. Second choice would be pickled herring or pickled herring followed by a chocolate sundae. Third choice would be belly lox and cream cheese followed by cookies and milk.
Pickled herring? Hmm, interesting. I like matjes herring from Ikea; they taste pickled too. I usually eat them on a cracker as a pre-dinner appetizer. Feels like a total mismatch with a chocolate sundae, though.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-01-2018 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
That strikes me more as a beer snack than a post-going-out meal. But it might work after a "calm" night or if I'm not very hungry.

Pickled herring? Hmm, interesting. I like matjes herring from Ikea; they taste pickled too. I usually eat them on a cracker as a pre-dinner appetizer. Feels like a total mismatch with a chocolate sundae, though.

I am not going to eat another meal late at night, if I have already had my dinner out.

If I have been out for drinks, then I will eat my normal dinner when I get in, not 2 dinners in one night.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:11 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I am not going to eat another meal late at night, if I have already had my dinner out.

If I have been out for drinks, then I will eat my normal dinner when I get in, not 2 dinners in one night.
Of course! If I ate dinner while out, I won't eat anything after coming home. In my initial post, I was talking about scenarios where "going out" consists of an activity, rather than food.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Of course! If I ate dinner while out, I won't eat anything after coming home. In my initial post, I was talking about scenarios where "going out" consists of an activity, rather than food.
Ok, if we are going to a show or something, I like to have a really easy meal when we get in, so I will either do a crockpot dish or have some frozen ravioli, which cook in under 5 minutes, when we get in.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:47 PM

1,466 posts, read 919,560 times
I never cooked after coming home after 3AM. Sometimes I'd get a baconeggancheese or a regular breakfast of eggs homefries toast & bacon. Mostly just went home to sleep. When I was in college in Philly we would get diner breakfast or cheesesteaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or