U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:11 AM

10,565 posts, read 3,192,535 times

Advertisements

I didnít know fruits and vegetables went out of style?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 08:22 AM

5,442 posts, read 4,508,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Or maybe it's just me. The forgotten vegetables is rutabaga. I like it, just don't think about getting one or pass it by. I just cooked one today, probably had for a few years or more.

Never had a turnip, I would have to Google how to fix one.

Any other veggies /fruit that are around but just not so popular or overlooked?
I use rutabaga when making chicken soup, but over the past year have not been able to find it in my area. I substituted turnips, but they have disappeared as well.

Around here, you can get oddball stuff like kumquats and cactus but not a staple veggie like rutabaga or turnips. Go figure.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:19 AM

31 posts, read 21,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That is about the only way pesimmons are worth anything. Oh they are ok in cookies as well.
No No No...!
I just can't wait til November when Publix gets the big Hachiya persimmons ..I put them in the freezer immediately and take one or two out every morning and leave them outside to defrost and soften while I'm at work...
I salivate while I drive home and the second I come in I bite into that sweet,pulpy chewy piece of heaven.....Ahhhhhhhhh.. If you just leave them on the counter at the kitchen they can take up to 3 weeks to be edible...They are very astringent(??)if they are not eaten at the right level of ripeness.
At $1.79 each they are rather expensive at Publix,and they are only available down here from around the first week of November til Mid-December.I binge shop for them 10-15 at a time(I usually empty the basket)..and then they are gone...til next year.....
We also get the Fuyus,which have the crunchiness of apples and can be eaten right after purchase,but I crave Hachiyas.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:46 PM

2,472 posts, read 1,691,274 times
Store bought (even roadside bought) peaches, tomatoes, and plums. They're either too green, hard, woody, or downright flavorless. Those were once my favorite edibles. I only buy green bananas, two at a time - they ripen to soft mushy overly sugary junk way too fast.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:47 PM

1,029 posts, read 528,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
But, it's probably similar to how people who grew up with avocado trees in their yards in California and similar think it's bizarre that we'd pay what we pay for 'em here.
Did you know in California some stores are now charging .99 for a lemon? And people are paying it?
When there are lemon trees all over the place in this state. Rural, city, neighborhood, block. We have no business calling someone else's shopping behavior bizarre.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:17 AM

68,666 posts, read 78,655,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I didnít know fruits and vegetables went out of style?
oh, sure they do like many foods. think of all the things we never heard of 50 years ago and are now staples in some kitchens and visa versa. Tastes change, and ideas change. I guess it is those who have been around a few decades that notice it more than the younger crowd. When I say a few decades, I really mean more like 5 or 6 or more decades.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:18 AM

68,666 posts, read 78,655,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSLPPTSO13 View Post
No No No...!
I just can't wait til November when Publix gets the big Hachiya persimmons ..I put them in the freezer immediately and take one or two out every morning and leave them outside to defrost and soften while I'm at work...
I salivate while I drive home and the second I come in I bite into that sweet,pulpy chewy piece of heaven.....Ahhhhhhhhh.. If you just leave them on the counter at the kitchen they can take up to 3 weeks to be edible...They are very astringent(??)if they are not eaten at the right level of ripeness.
At $1.79 each they are rather expensive at Publix,and they are only available down here from around the first week of November til Mid-December.I binge shop for them 10-15 at a time(I usually empty the basket)..and then they are gone...til next year.....
We also get the Fuyus,which have the crunchiness of apples and can be eaten right after purchase,but I crave Hachiyas.
that is the secret, right level of ripeness I think.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 3,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Some fruits and vegetables that were common where I lived abroad in Europe:

Medlars (a particular favorite)
Quince (I ate sliced fresh quince, nice and tart/tangy - look like a funky large-ish pear/apple hybrid)
Parsley root (looks like a parsnip, but doesn't taste at all like a parsnip. We buy these in the US at a specialty store)
Celery root (Best 'cream of' soup I've ever had - and no, stalk celery does not even come close)
Gooseberries (I never cared for these)
Red or black currants - these were very popular in season
Fresh, sweet, green peas - the pods would be brought to market the morning they were plucked. Any longer than 24 hours off the vine, and they begin to convert to starch and are therefore useless as far as flavor. The ladies who sold these in their stalls would allow you to break into a pod and taste the pea to ensure they were truly fresh. I miss these the most since moving back to the US. Nothing compares to fresh peas.

I'm bummed by the disappearance of parsnips in my locale. None of the markets I frequent carry them anymore.
Rutabagas are delicious, by the way, if prepared correctly. So buttery and sweet all on their own.
I've never eaten turnips - just not appealing.
Medlars are excellent, but very hard to find in the US. Qunice paste from Spain is available in gourmet shops or specialty food stores.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:33 PM

13,412 posts, read 15,827,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Did you know in California some stores are now charging .99 for a lemon? And people are paying it?
That is truly insane when you consider that lemons are a local crop in your state.
In NJ, I just bought a bag of 6 big, beautiful, organic lemons for $4.99 at Whole Foods.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:24 PM

17,035 posts, read 21,932,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh, sure they do like many foods. think of all the things we never heard of 50 years ago and are now staples in some kitchens and visa versa. Tastes change, and ideas change. I guess it is those who have been around a few decades that notice it more than the younger crowd. When I say a few decades, I really mean more like 5 or 6 or more decades.
my grandmother always had grapefruit for breakfast ..... i didn't care for it..

today i dont know anyone that eats them..... but then again i dont ask people if they in fact do eat them

avocados are popular now on the high fat diet folks ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or