U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 03:13 AM

380 posts, read 224,197 times

Advertisements

Oh, persimmons! I was just trying to figure out if it was possible to grow persimmon trees here in Albuquerque. I adore them! When I think about painting my front door, which is currently a dark brown, I keep coming back to a persimmon shade. Is there a more beautiful hue than on a ripe persimmon?

I remember eating Jerusalem artichokes as a kid. I never hear of anyone eating those now, do people still eat those? I haven't noticed them in grocery stores either, although I admit I wasn't looking...hadn't even thought of them till this thread!

My only experience with rutabagas was that I had a boyfriend who insisted they are a much better choice for pot roast because they don't get mushy like potatoes! That was a long time ago and I haven't had them since...maybe I will look for them and give them a try in soup.

I like pretty much all vegetables too. I don't eat much fruit, I find a lot of it just too sweet for my taste. It's mostly a seasonal treat, like a blood orange once in a while in the winter, or fresh figs, or apples in fall. Although I have started making daily kefir smoothies with very green bananas, due to their prebiotic wonder ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 04:48 AM

12,554 posts, read 14,481,297 times
To me, people eat MORE vegetables now than when I was a younger, both more quantity and more variety due to more availability now than in the past. We ate canned spinach, never fresh. The only lettuce we had was either iceberg or leaf lettuce from our garden. Now there are so many varieties available. I remember when no one would touch Brussels sprouts and now they are very popular. No one other than old ladies ever wanted okra when I was a kid and now I see it on menus.

It's probably due to the way they were cooked, though. I remember Brussels sprouts being boiled and they taste much better seasoned and roasted. And okra was cooked whole and was slimy.

I ate raw turnips as a kid, but haven't eaten one in years.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:03 AM

735 posts, read 340,295 times
My father would take me mushroom picking in the woods, when I was a kid. He taught me which were poison, and which were the best. The best were red tops, that grew mostly under birch trees. I was thrilled to find red tops!
My mother would wash and wash the mushrooms, parboil them, then freeze. In cooking she would sauté with butter and onions....they were so good
Now a days I buy my mushrooms in the grocery store

Old 03-06-2018, 05:03 AM

10,057 posts, read 2,674,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Or maybe it's just me. The forgotten vegetables is rutabaga. I like it, just don't think about getting one or pass it by. I just cooked one today, probably had for a few years or more.

Never had a turnip, I would have to Google how to fix one.

Any other veggies /fruit that are around but just not so popular or overlooked?
I've never tried rutabaga. My mom used to put turnip in her wonderful beef and vegetable soup. I hung around the kitchen when she was cutting them up, and ate raw slices as eagerly as if they were apples.

With a few exceptions, it seems to me that there is more appreciation today for some of the more "old-fashioned" vegetables that had fallen out of favor for a while, perhaps because people are eating them fresh now, instead of from a can, or roasted, grilled, etc., instead of just boiled to death. One of my goals this year is to work up the nerve to try beets. I hated them as a child, but then I only ever had them out of a can, or pickled. I suspect roasted baby beets are wonderful.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
My father would take me mushroom picking in the woods, when I was a kid. He taught me which were poison, and which were the best. The best were red tops, that grew mostly under birch trees. I was thrilled to find red tops!
My mother would wash and wash the mushrooms, parboil them, then freeze. In cooking she would sauté with butter and onions....they were so good
Now a days I buy my mushrooms in the grocery store
I would love to learn how to find edible wild mushrooms. Morels were much sought after when I was growing up, but they cost more than lobster.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:08 AM

42,099 posts, read 49,295,993 times
People just don't drink sassafras root beer no more.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:23 AM

68,712 posts, read 78,749,924 times
You don't hear of many people eating Parsnips anymore, but I do see them in the stores. I also don't know too many people who are crazy about pears. We used to have both when I was growing up. As for persimmons they make good cookies and good pudding. As a kid, in So Ca they were everywhere. I am not a fan. I don't think people eat beets quite as much as they did when I was growing up 50 plus years ago. We still eat them but they are not a regular like when I was a kid in the 50s.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:12 AM

17,347 posts, read 21,503,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I've never tried rutabaga. My mom used to put turnip in her wonderful beef and vegetable soup. I hung around the kitchen when she was cutting them up, and ate raw slices as eagerly as if they were apples.

With a few exceptions, it seems to me that there is more appreciation today for some of the more "old-fashioned" vegetables that had fallen out of favor for a while, perhaps because people are eating them fresh now, instead of from a can, or roasted, grilled, etc., instead of just boiled to death. One of my goals this year is to work up the nerve to try beets. I hated them as a child, but then I only ever had them out of a can, or pickled. I suspect roasted baby beets are wonderful.

Oh are you in for a treat! Fresh beets are DELICIOUS - robust, filling and sweet!

Roasted beets are very tasty! A few weeks ago, I made Ukrainian style borscht - beet soup. I'm craving it again!

When you do buy those fresh beets, don't throw the greens away! They are very tasty too!

Old 03-06-2018, 06:16 AM

1,599 posts, read 648,541 times
in the food shelf where I volunteer, we are low on produce this time of year. So we get it in wholesale (50 # bags) from Quebec. Beets, turnips and rutabagas are common. People take them, some wonder how to cook them but we have recipes to give them. I haven't had them for years but Sheena's post is making me consider some.

Catgirl, if you have only had canned beets, you are in for a treat when you cook fresh ones. It's a world of difference.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Oh are you in for a treat! Fresh beets are DELICIOUS - robust, filling and sweet!

Roasted beets are very tasty! A few weeks ago, I made Ukrainian style borscht - beet soup. I'm craving it again!

When you do buy those fresh beets, don't throw the greens away! They are very tasty too!
Greens are never thrown away in this house.

I will try them soon. I think my housemate will like them, as well. I believe she has eaten and enjoyed them, just not fresh.

What meat and other sides do you suggest with them?

I've been trying to branch out, in terms of the vegetables we eat. A few nights ago, I halved and baked an acorn squash, using a recipe from Pioneer Woman's website. It was wonderful. It was also essentially dessert. I will use the recipe again, probably cutting back on the brown sugar and maple syrup, but will also be on the lookout for other preparations that are a bit healthier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or