U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 07:27 AM

2,532 posts, read 1,294,390 times

Advertisements

I remember eating pomegranate seeds when I was a kid in the 1970s, and then never saw them again until the POM company was established.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 08:44 AM

21,028 posts, read 25,842,934 times
Fresh figs. They aren't good unless they are picked fully ripe and they do not ship well at all, so it is very rare to see them for sale. If I do see them in the market I won't buy them because I know they have been picked before ripe.

I've never seen Jerusalem artichokes in the market. I think that the people who are eating them are growing their own. Mother Earth News type of people grow them.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:51 AM

8,853 posts, read 8,186,732 times
I don't like apples that much anymore. I used to eat them all the time. Now they only seldom seem to have enough flavor to justify paying for them. And the texture is so cellulose-y, I feel like I have to chew them forever before I can swallow.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:20 AM

20,229 posts, read 28,314,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Any other veggies /fruit that are around but just not so popular or overlooked?
Broccoli Rabe, Radicchio, Endive and Escarole are some that stick out to me that I do enjoy but rarely see used or have had people say they don't what know they are.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:21 AM

2,473 posts, read 1,062,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You don't hear of many people eating Parsnips anymore, but I do see them in the stores. I also don't know too many people who are crazy about pears. We used to have both when I was growing up. As for persimmons they make good cookies and good pudding. As a kid, in So Ca they were everywhere. I am not a fan. I don't think people eat beets quite as much as they did when I was growing up 50 plus years ago. We still eat them but they are not a regular like when I was a kid in the 50s.
I eat them all the time,parsnips that is

Old 03-06-2018, 09:36 AM

5,517 posts, read 3,372,648 times
I can think of lots of things we used to eat that I never eat or hear of any more (liver, jello salads, franks & beans...), but not so much in the way of fruits or vegetables. We always had plenty, but there are even more that we eat now.

My mom never bought beets, radishes, kale or parsnips, but I like all of those. We have many more (and much better) varieties of lettuce and apples. If I had to think of fruits/vegetables we had as kids but I never, ever buy any more, it would be iceberg lettuce and Red Delicious apples.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:25 AM

17,820 posts, read 3,594,226 times
Turnips...don't hear much of those anymore...

Old 03-06-2018, 11:37 AM

51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't think there is a fruit or vegetable that I dislike.

Turnips happen to be one of my favorite vegetables. Mashed with butter, cream, sea salt and black pepper...mmm.

Also, I think that more Americans are eating fresh vegetables than they did in the post WWII era - 50s, 60s, 70s. and I think more people are enjoying more vegetables and fruit than they ever have in my life time.
Gah, that's the one I don't like. My mother would try to get us to eat turnips by adding applesauce to them, but it didn't disguise the bitter taste.

I agree that people are eating more fresh vegetables and that more are available now. We grew up on canned vegetables except in summer, when you could get things like fresh green beans. Then more things became available frozen, too.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:40 AM

51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Oh are you in for a treat! Fresh beets are DELICIOUS - robust, filling and sweet!

Roasted beets are very tasty! A few weeks ago, I made Ukrainian style borscht - beet soup. I'm craving it again!

When you do buy those fresh beets, don't throw the greens away! They are very tasty too!
Tell me how you made it! Please?

I also eat the greens. Sometimes I make the beets and saute the greens and then put the beets on top of the greens.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-06-2018 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 11:51 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,213,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I don't like apples that much anymore. I used to eat them all the time. Now they only seldom seem to have enough flavor to justify paying for them. And the texture is so cellulose-y, I feel like I have to chew them forever before I can swallow.
Try Honeycrisp apples, they are super crunchy, super sweet and have a thin skin that is easy to bite into! They run more expensive, but are delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or