U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 08:56 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,164,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
You should try parsnips again, they're pretty good. Mild flavor, not an unusual taste.
One of the few things I won't eat.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 09:08 PM

17,621 posts, read 21,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Mmmmmm! Thatís how I make my mashed rutabaga. It takes forever for the rutabaga to get soft enough to mash, but itís so good, itís worth the wait! I have them every Xmas!
I also like rutabaga that way! As with turnips, I usually eat them on Christmas. Partially because they are hard word. But they are so good!

Old 03-07-2018, 12:29 AM

7,142 posts, read 2,232,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Or maybe it's just me. The forgotten vegetables is rutabaga. I like it, just don't think about getting one or pass it by. I just cooked one today, probably had for a few years or more.

Never had a turnip, I would have to Google how to fix one.

Any other veggies /fruit that are around but just not so popular or overlooked?

When I was a kid, my ma once cooked a rutabaga. By unanimous vote of everyone else, that horrid thing was never served at our place again. Turnips and parsnips belong in the same class.

One fruit that is mostly forgotten is quince, a relative of the apple. It makes great jelly and I used to dice up very small bits of it to put in salads, to add some zest. I would continue that, but I no longer have a quince tree. Red currants and green gooseberries were also among my favorites, but you seldom see them for sale. I do have some wild, but non-native blue gooseberry bushes, that put on a small crop most years. How many people know that the small, dried "currants" that are sold in boxes, to sprinkle on cookies, are actually a type of tiny, seedless grape?

Old 03-07-2018, 06:32 AM

17 posts, read 6,024 times
I hate most Fruits and Veggies. The odd thing is that I used to LOVE them when I was two

Old 03-07-2018, 06:52 AM

383 posts, read 299,709 times
I'm a vegetarian who has never eaten any root vegetable other than carrot, potato, or yam. Wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do with one. They are so ugly just to look at. Also, ever since vegetarianism became popular, the price of vegetables and fruits is comparable to meat. People used to tell me I was lucky I was a vegetarian (because I saved so much money). Not anymore.

So why waste money buying some ugly veggie-critter you just know you'll end up putting in next week's garbage?

Old 03-07-2018, 07:28 AM

1,657 posts, read 603,871 times
Rutabagas are easy to cook. Once you get the horrible wax coated skin off. That is a chore, chop into chunks, boil until fork tender, smash, add butter, salt and pepper. They taste like something in between cooked cabbage and cauliflower. I would even add some to a slaw raw if finely chopped.

Cooked cabbage, I haven't done that for a while. Secret is to add milk to water when boiling, it seems to cut down on acidity and help make it tender.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:38 AM

9,148 posts, read 3,957,049 times
I had turnips once when I was a teenager; it reminded me of a potato. I have never tried rutabaga and I don't love the slimy texture of okra unless they are fried. Mango, papaya and star fruit are very popular here in Florida but I haven't had a star fruit in years. Some people by the pool where I used to live were picking small yellow berries off a tree and eating them but I can't remember what they are called.

I like most vegetables, some more than others naturally and I can't think of a fruit I hate. I don't particularly like apples or pears but I will eat them on occasion. I usually have a bowl of Ezekiel cereal for breakfast and I always add some berries: blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and sometimes a banana.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:23 AM

1,761 posts, read 713,892 times
You can mix turnips in with mashed potatoes, just mash them together.

Quince jelly is another thing we sometimes get at the food shelf, or quince paste, I forget. It's a hard sell, we don't really know what to tell people to do with it.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:28 AM

69,411 posts, read 79,637,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I also like rutabaga that way! As with turnips, I usually eat them on Christmas. Partially because they are hard word. But they are so good!
We used to eat turnips when I was a kid all the time. Now, I mainly like them with a dip, yes, raw.

Purplecow, you have no idea what you are missing. Route veggies can be so much better than almost any other kind. An example: beets, they are sweet, great source of many vit and can be fixed many ways. Turnips are good raw or cooked. I could go on and on.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:53 AM

5,523 posts, read 3,378,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Rutabagas are easy to cook. Once you get the horrible wax coated skin off. That is a chore, chop into chunks, boil until fork tender, smash, add butter, salt and pepper. They taste like something in between cooked cabbage and cauliflower. I would even add some to a slaw raw if finely chopped.

Cooked cabbage, I haven't done that for a while. Secret is to add milk to water when boiling, it seems to cut down on acidity and help make it tender.
My mom used to put rutabaga into pot roast with the carrots and potatoes. I liked it (I've always been a vegetable lover). But I never make pot roast any more so rutabaga is not something that is on my mind to buy or serve.

I don't think cabbage is particularly good boiled. My family likes it better cut into small slivers and stir-fried with some onions and Indian spices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Some people by the pool where I used to live were picking small yellow berries off a tree and eating them but I can't remember what they are called.
May have been mulberries (if they looked like tiny pale blackberries) or loquats (if they looked like little apricots). We have both growing here in the neighborhood and they are delicious, but never seen in stores.

Silkworms only eat mulberry leaves. When I was in third grade, my class raised some silkworms, and we got leaves from the tree on the school grounds. I always used to volunteer to pick more leaves because I could take my time and eat lots of mulberries while I was at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or