Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 934,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric johns View Post
Pomegranites. Lived in a house as a kid that had a tree, never ate them, too much trouble. I know the juice is popular but clueless how it is extracted, nothing but seeds.
The seeds are sweet/tart delicious. Now they're packaged and put in the refrigerator section of the stores. I wish they'd been there when I was a kid because our little tree never could keep up with the demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 03:33 PM

997 posts, read 707,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Or maybe it's just me. The forgotten vegetables is rutabaga. I like it, just don't think about getting one or pass it by. I just cooked one today, probably had for a few years or more.

Never had a turnip, I would have to Google how to fix one.

Any other veggies /fruit that are around but just not so popular or overlooked?
When cooking yellow turnips; try adding a few tablespoons of sugar to the water to cut the bitterness. Drain and mash with salt, butter, black pepper, and onion powder. My mother's recipe. Everyone in my family loved turnips fixed this way.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:24 PM

934 posts, read 1,124,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I love turnips.
I like turnips AND rutabagas.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:18 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,446,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't know where you live now, but although I never see kumquats at the supermarket, there is a vendor at the farmer's market who has them in season.
I saw kumquats at Sprout's this week, but they were expensive at $3.99 for a small container.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, I don't think I ever even saw rhubarb as a kid, growing up in so. California. I had heard of it and when I met spoiled brat he raved about how good strawberry, rhubarb pie was. I do get it once in awhile now to make pie, but it is only available a couple of weeks in the spring and is super pricey here.
This is so funny to me, due to growing up with it as random crap growing around the yard. Asparagus, too. It cracks me up, the terrible, woody, old, bland asparagus bundled in grocery stores now and tagged with a premium price, when as a kid, I knew where all the best beds were to cut it fresh in the ditches of our network of gravel roads. No comparison.

But, it's probably similar to how people who grew up with avocado trees in their yards in California and similar think it's bizarre that we'd pay what we pay for 'em here.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Funny you should mention pawpaws. I just heard somewhere that it is the state fruit of Ohio, which is astonishing to me, because I lived there for 45 years and never heard of or saw a pawpaw.

We once had a casserole made of oyster plant, which I think is salsify, at a Shaker museum restaurant. It was very good, but I’ve never seen it anywhere else.
I grew up near a town NAMED Paw Paw, after a local paw paw patch.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
I like turnips AND rutabagas.
Same.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I saw kumquats at Sprout's this week, but they were expensive at $3.99 for a small container.
They're really good, though. Always a mystery if you're gonna pop a sweet or tart one next.

My husband always gets them when Spouts has them on sale, but they never survive the drive home.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:30 AM

19,965 posts, read 30,115,563 times
i haven't had turnip in 35 years.....or squash or the little evil round green....peas ....i did put one pea on my plate in 2014 at a buffet but couldn't do it.... had to roll it off..

bacon wrapped corn on the cob.......is good (grilled)

i haven't had choke cherries since being a kid..... i guess that's a fruit...

raw carrots picked from a garden ....its been a while...

Old 03-10-2018, 07:29 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,642,026 times
"...if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does." _ Captain Spaulding
I never had rhubarb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink