Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 06:32 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
As far as I remember, several items on that ^^^ list have been available where we grew up since
the 60's (other than quinoa, jackfruit & microgreens). We didn't have zucchini noodles but making
zucchini fritters was a big thing back in the 70's.
Many of the newer fruits and vegetables became available (and the spices ) with new immigrants from different parts of the world.

Tomatoes were grown in many urban gardens in the city where I grew up. If it's broadcasted,
tomatoes would be on the trendy list.
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-.../tomatoes.html

Other than the sprouts and kale, we grew up eating a lot of the other foods on this list:
https://www.rd.com/health/healthy-ea...nt-rich-foods/

^^^Also, since the information about the health benefits about tart cherries came out,
the prices have skyrocketed.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...efits#section8
I agree, most of the things on the list have been around for decades. Maybe some are thinking more, what are the foods we eat the most today, without realizing some have been part of many diets for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 09:12 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,260,774 times
Trending in season now for me more than ever before are various varieties of tangerines and I’m loving it.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:56 AM

126,144 posts, read 18,886,101 times
In my childhood I had only grapefruit on rare occasion and I was told this was at that time a special fruit. Since I am in Canada I have been indulging in grapefruits. Years ago it was the white grapefruits now the pink ones. They are always on sale between November til April. Another one is mango. I don't remember eating it when little. As soon as the mango season starts we buy weekly a box and indulge.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:04 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,260,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
In my childhood I had only grapefruit on rare occasion and I was told this was at that time a special fruit. Since I am in Canada I have been indulging in grapefruits. Years ago it was the white grapefruits now the pink ones. They are always on sale between November til April. Another one is mango. I don't remember eating it when little. As soon as the mango season starts we buy weekly a box and indulge.
Being born and raised in FL with a grapefruit tree in the backyard I had them most everyday. Simply peeled a thin layer off about half way down and cut a cone shaped hole in it and squeezed the juice right into my mouth. Salt was put in the grapefruit as we never used sugar. We had to import peaches, apples, and other stone type fruit. Trendy fruit now is star fruit here.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:09 AM

126,144 posts, read 18,886,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Being born and raised in FL with a grapefruit tree in the backyard I had them most everyday. Simply peeled a thin layer off about half way down and cut a cone shaped hole in it and squeezed the juice right into my mouth. Salt was put in the grapefruit as we never used sugar. We had to import peaches, apples, and other stone type fruit. Trendy fruit now is star fruit here.
How lucky you were.When I read about countries growing oranges,lemons, grapefruits,mangoes,apricots, clementines I always was amazed, curious and wanted to visit countries who grew them.Well eventually I did. Instead we had plenty of cherry,pear,apple and walnut trees.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:19 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,132,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Fresh pineapples were around but they were not common place or often seen in peoples homes. I am surprised about what you say about eating Kiwi; the same with pomegranates. Now we see them in the markets,even in our juices. I love them; they are great as an accent in salads for instance.
I’m 58, and my memory of fresh pineapple was Christmas. My dad was a high up manager at a outdoor equipment place and between Thanksgiving and Christmas we’d have to drive several times to the post office to pick up huge boxes of what I call Christmas food. Like those Hickory Farm cheeses and meats? And from a couple of places we’d get large fruit boxes, and there was always a wonderfully ripe pineapple. One year we got so much, my mom barely had to cook for the Christmas Eve party, she just bought a lot of crackers, some grapes and her Swedish Meatballs. Tons of little meats and cheeses and lots of cheeses.

Now we own our own business, and I get those catalogs. Giving of Christmas gifts is not really done in our business, but I do adore leafing through the catalogs. Golly, that stuff’s expensive.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:42 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,028,425 times
im not a veggie fan but i love fruit and love fruit smoothies....

i love watermelon ... use to buy a whole seedless and see how much i could eat ...

but now...im trying to avoid sugars/carbs so cut down on fruits.....but i love the berries- blueberries/blackberries/raspberries...... and whipped cream

we use to pick tons of blueberries/apples/blackberries/raspberries as kids...........

Old 03-11-2018, 11:14 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,201,085 times
When I was a kid, blueberries were available for a relatively short season and mainly came from either New Jersey or Maine even though the local hills were covered in them.

Nowadays, most of the blueberries I see are from Chile.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:57 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,028,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When I was a kid, blueberries were available for a relatively short season and mainly came from either New Jersey or Maine even though the local hills were covered in them.

Nowadays, most of the blueberries I see are from Chile.
maine still produces over 90% of low bush blueberries in the u s

use to love going picking and eating!!

Old 03-13-2018, 06:54 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
maine still produces over 90% of low bush blueberries in the u s

use to love going picking and eating!!
We raise quite a few here and love to go picking as well. I was surprised to see, at least here, they grow on what appears to be a tree more than a bush. We also can go picking other berries, but the old backs don't do as well as they did in years past, so instead of fun, it is a hurting experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink