U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 12:04 PM

183,850 posts, read 74,970,778 times

Advertisements

Thousands of acres of citrus groves in FL have been pushed and burned due to disease and blueberries planted. A major packing house even went into an old citrus processing building in Winter Haven, FL. The owner of that center also processes in SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 11:44 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Those things were always around it's a generation thing. Most Americans in their 50s and above eat what traditional Americans have ate while those younger are exposed to different ethnic foods will likely experience other foods and have a broader palate.

I remember kids making fun of my sushi lunchbox in school. Fast forward today, they are probably eating overpriced poorly made sushi.
Those things weren't in our market in the 1960s. We got fresh pineapple once a year, coconuts one a year. Pomegranates at Christmas. Kiwi and avocado? I'd never heard of them.

Most Americans in their 50s... give me a break. We're the generation who started eating Asian food. Remember Vietnam? They came home with stories of rice, raw fish and things like lemongrass.

Cripes, if my mother was still alive she'd be in her 90s, and had eaten sushi, Thai, Korean, Caribbean, classic French, German.

Mom, trust me. You're going to love curried goat! It was chewy and not that great, but she tried it. She was born in 1926.

So, you can shove your your "older people" theory.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:48 PM

183,850 posts, read 74,970,778 times
Hey I got my mom to go to Hooters for hot wings and fried dill pickles...

In the 70's beef brisket was a poor man's beef. Now it's an exotic at BBQ cook-offs and joints.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When I was a kid, blueberries were available for a relatively short season and mainly came from either New Jersey or Maine even though the local hills were covered in them.

Nowadays, most of the blueberries I see are from Chile.
Mine are still from NJ. Usually Hammonton.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post

In the 70's beef brisket was a poor man's beef. Now it's an exotic at BBQ cook-offs and joints.
My mother didn't much care for, like, burgers, wings, onion rings or most things that are considered bar food. They did have steamed clams, though. Too many other choices, so we never went there.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:53 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post

Not only was brisket a poor man's dinner, wings were the one of the part of the chicken to get eaten last. Now we pay more for wings than any other part of the bird and Corned beef is almost too expensive to enjy on St Patty's day. Well not really, but i am floored when I see the price.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:41 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times
I grew up on the 70's and early 80's. We had salad every night. It was always Iceburg lettuce which I don't eat anymore, cucumbers, tomatoes, and avocado.

As for fruit we ate the basics plus papaya, kiwi, star fruit, and mangoes when available. We also made fried plantains. We never had fresh coconut or pineapple at home.

I've been eating broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini since I was a kid. In the 80's I started eating spaghetti squash and still love it.

I love fresh blueberries and pick them most years.

I have tried some new vegetables while gardening like yellow tomatoes, lemon cucumbers, pattypan squash, mixed mini sweet peppers, and a variety of tomatoes.

I like to try new fruits and vegetables and now like Kumquats, Jicama and Rambutans(which are so good but I rarely find them), and portobello mushrooms, and oh yeah I am on board with the chopped kale salads.

My newest favorite is broccoli slaw. I'm not allowed to say that word in the house anymore, lol.

Last edited by ylisa7; 03-14-2018 at 07:08 AM..

Old 03-14-2018, 12:53 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,490,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
all kinds of sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, radish spouts, pea spouts etc.

Sprouts have been around at least 40 years. (At least in the places I've lived) Maybe people don't keep them in their homes, but every salad bar in any establishment that HAD a salad bar always had sprouts to put on a salad.

I can remember when I thought long grain rice was trendy, but honestly, I just think my parents preferred white rice out of a box...so long grain rice was, to me, kind of exotic. lol

Old 03-15-2018, 08:32 AM

1,724 posts, read 700,406 times
haven't read the whole thread, but I just discovered kiwi berries (mini kiwi fruits) and crud monkeys, they are delicious!!!

Old 03-15-2018, 08:35 AM

1,724 posts, read 700,406 times
Default berries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When I was a kid, blueberries were available for a relatively short season and mainly came from either New Jersey or Maine even though the local hills were covered in them.

Nowadays, most of the blueberries I see are from Chile.
There was an interesting read in the New Yorker a while back about the berry business. The company, I think it is Driscoll's, came into the business with their goal, "Four berries, four seasons." That's why you can now find formerly seasonal berries all year long.

I for one, don't mind getting blueberries on sale in the middle of winter!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink