U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 05:32 AM

67,413 posts, read 77,116,051 times

Advertisements

Reading the post on produce that used to be eaten more than now, brought to mind, the opposite. What do we eat now than no one hardly heard of 50 years ago or even 20 years ago?

I never heard of Kiwi fruit when I was a kid. The first time I saw one was in the 80s. Mangos were not something we often saw much less ate and pineapple came out of a can. Oh and pamagranits (spelling) they were just something some of us ate and made a mess just to **** our moms off.

As for veggies and we ate a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, that are more trendy today: Bok Choy, for one and kale is another. I never heard of Kale salad until a few years ago. As for bok choy, it was just something we got with our Chinese food in China Town. Tomatoes have always been a household word, but not 50 varieties, that is for sure.

I am sure there are many others, but these are the ones that come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 08:07 AM

5,015 posts, read 2,967,474 times
Growing up in Southern California, we probably ate more fruits and vegetables than people in many areas just because they were readily available locally.

I had never heard of kale salad either; we didn't eat kale at all until I was an adult. Now it's everywhere.

Cilantro existed in Mexican food but it wasn't something people normally bought and used. I always have it in the house.

I had seaweed in Japan in the 80s but never in the US. Now people eat sushi wrapped in seaweed all the time, and also those roasted seaweed snacks. They were popular at my daughter's high school.

I also wonder why it took everyone so long to figure out that many vegetables taste much better roasted than boiled!

Old 03-06-2018, 09:39 AM

10,815 posts, read 2,017,696 times
Yes, kale is in the forefront right now but was not decades ago...as well as coconut products, acai (whatever that is)

Old 03-06-2018, 09:49 AM

48,394 posts, read 48,169,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Reading the post on produce that used to be eaten more than now, brought to mind, the opposite. What do we eat now than no one hardly heard of 50 years ago or even 20 years ago?

I never heard of Kiwi fruit when I was a kid. The first time I saw one was in the 80s. Mangos were not something we often saw much less ate and pineapple came out of a can. Oh and pamagranits (spelling) they were just something some of us ate and made a mess just to **** our moms off.

As for veggies and we ate a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, that are more trendy today: Bok Choy, for one and kale is another. I never heard of Kale salad until a few years ago. As for bok choy, it was just something we got with our Chinese food in China Town. Tomatoes have always been a household word, but not 50 varieties, that is for sure.

I am sure there are many others, but these are the ones that come to mind.
Who ever heard of avocados growing up in NJ in 60s and 70s? As a matter of fact, I never ate one until about fifteen years ago when I was on a date and the guy wanted Mexican and I tried guac for the first time.

I didn't have a non-guac avocado until about three years ago, though. Took a while to get used to the feel of the squishy thing in my mouth. I wanted to spit it out the first time. It has very little taste if it's not spiced up.

Kiwi fruit used to be called Chinese Gooseberry. Kiwi was a marketing name that took off in the 80s.

Never heard of kale, either, until a few years ago. Might have known the word through crossword puzzles or Scrabble, though. I still don't like it, raw or cooked. I eat plenty of other leafy greens, so I will skip that one.

Broccoli rabe is another. Only heard of that as an adult. Still don't like it. Long and stringy and easy to choke on.

Zucchini is another thing that was never in my house growing up. First had it fried at a bar in my 20s, and I liked it.

Tomatoes we had plenty of. Like I said, I grew up in New Jersey, and we're kinda known for our good tomatoes. It's the toxic waste in the soil, I think. :P

Old 03-07-2018, 05:30 AM

67,413 posts, read 77,116,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Growing up in Southern California, we probably ate more fruits and vegetables than people in many areas just because they were readily available locally.

I had never heard of kale salad either; we didn't eat kale at all until I was an adult. Now it's everywhere.

Cilantro existed in Mexican food but it wasn't something people normally bought and used. I always have it in the house.

I had seaweed in Japan in the 80s but never in the US. Now people eat sushi wrapped in seaweed all the time, and also those roasted seaweed snacks. They were popular at my daughter's high school.

I also wonder why it took everyone so long to figure out that many vegetables taste much better roasted than boiled!
so agree, mom used to shop at the Grand Central Market in downtown L.A. I hear it is still there but on a but a much larger scale. Plus many of us had fruit trees in our yards. I had never heard of cilantro though we ate Mexican food all the time. As for seaweed, the first time I tasted it, I was grown and I did a rude thing: I spit it out. Now, as you say many of us don't think twice about eating it if we are eating sushi.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:38 AM

6,395 posts, read 3,083,502 times
I was fortunate that I lived in a very multi-cultural area and had a mother who was born and raised on a tropical island. Most produce that a lot of people never heard of growing up was commonplace in our home.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:18 AM

11,251 posts, read 7,128,679 times
Those things were always around it's a generation thing. Most Americans in their 50s and above eat what traditional Americans have ate while those younger are exposed to different ethnic foods will likely experience other foods and have a broader palate.

I remember kids making fun of my sushi lunchbox in school. Fast forward today, they are probably eating overpriced poorly made sushi.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:57 AM

10,984 posts, read 15,768,110 times
I think it all depends on where you were/are and how food was/is being prepared. One of my culture shocks coming to the US was greenish card board being presented as ice berg lettuce.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:13 AM

3,045 posts, read 1,710,764 times
I am a year short of fifty. I grew up eating kale. My grandparents grew it. They immigrated over here from Maderia. I grew up amongst a large Portugese community where it is common. I was confused when it became trendy. I had no clue others didn't eat it growing up. I loved it growing up and I still love it.

It seemed for awhile arugula was trendy. It seemed to be in every other recipe I tried. Same with celeriac root and jicama a few years back. I like them both but find them expensive.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:22 AM

48,394 posts, read 48,169,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I am a year short of fifty. I grew up eating kale. My grandparents grew it. They immigrated over here from Maderia. I grew up amongst a large Portugese community where it is common. I was confused when it became trendy. I had no clue others didn't eat it growing up. I loved it growing up and I still love it.

It seemed for awhile arugula was trendy. It seemed to be in every other recipe I tried. Same with celeriac root and jicama a few years back. I like them both but find them expensive.
Yeah, I remember when arugula was a big new thing, but that probably reached its trendiness peak back in the Eighties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink