U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 06:49 PM

10 posts, read 7,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I use OpenTable often and find it really easy to use. What I donít like is some hotter restaurants will always block out prime time slots, yet when you call, they have availability. Iím sure they do that to save the fee.
Yes, I've seen restaurants that do that also!

Quote:
I hope restaurants keep using it. I donít like going to places that wonít accept some form of online reservation.
Absolutely agree about accepting online reservations. It's just so much more convenient.

Another thing that should be updated for the 21st century is when restaurants call back to "confirm the reservation." Why not text, for example? It seems like an anachronism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 06:53 PM

183,802 posts, read 74,960,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LechM View Post
Yes, I've seen restaurants that do that also!
Another thing that should be updated for the 21st century is when restaurants call back to "confirm the reservation." Why not text, for example? It seems like an anachronism.
Pharmacies txt back, doctors do, banks do, dentists do so what's keeping the restaurants from catching up to date with a courteous technology.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:28 AM

8,139 posts, read 7,463,231 times
Quote:
I use OpenTable often and find it really easy to use. What I donít like is some hotter restaurants will always block out prime time slots, yet when you call, they have availability. Iím sure they do that to save the fee. I hope restaurants keep using it. I donít like going to places that wonít accept some form of online reservation.
Restaurants do not block out prime times, they just fill up first.

Open table only has the availability to book a certain percentage of restaurants tables from open to close so the restaurant itself can accommodate walk in business and reservations.

There are always 'reservation emergencies' or VIPs so it would be stupid business to allow Open Table to have complete control of all table reservations.

In good restaurants, prime time tables book up months in advance through Open Table.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:53 PM

6,057 posts, read 11,474,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Restaurants do not block out prime times, they just fill up first.

Open table only has the availability to book a certain percentage of restaurants tables from open to close so the restaurant itself can accommodate walk in business and reservations.

There are always 'reservation emergencies' or VIPs so it would be stupid business to allow Open Table to have complete control of all table reservations.

In good restaurants, prime time tables book up months in advance through Open Table.
Thereís a popular restaurant around here that never has OpenTable availability after 5:15p and before 8:30p. When you call for say, a 7:30p, they almost always can accommodate. It seems a little odd.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:12 PM

8,530 posts, read 6,662,383 times
Last time I called for a reservation they asked if I preferred counter or drive-thru.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:15 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,054,897 times
Quote:
Thereís a popular restaurant around here that never has OpenTable availability after 5:15p and before 8:30p. When you call for say, a 7:30p, they almost always can accommodate. It seems a little odd.
This happens to me frequently as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink