U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:45 AM

7,419 posts, read 3,622,338 times

Advertisements

Hopefully it's a lesson learned ... always read the label if you have limitations such as not owning a microwave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 11:46 AM

2,458 posts, read 2,698,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Steaming is the new thing. It's like the vegetables that you steam in the bag that they come in, except in this case, the sauce provides the cooking steam & it thickens the sauce. That's why I said to add a few drops of water in a pan, because you'll lose more water to evaporation in a pot. When you cook these entrees in the microwave you neither remove nor vent the plastic film on top, but the plastic is more porous than a metal pot. Still, you'll have more condensation on the metal lid. Literally, wet a hand & flick some moisture onto the sauce. Any additional, measurable, water will dilute the sauce.
I am really learning some new things here. I appreciate the replies. I didn't know steaming had gone so upscale. :-)

Old 03-08-2018, 11:50 AM

2,458 posts, read 2,698,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Hopefully it's a lesson learned ... always read the label if you have limitations such as not owning a microwave.

Like pay attention to what you are doing? The fact that they were vegetarian had all of my attention. One track mind. :-)

Old 03-08-2018, 12:01 PM

20,394 posts, read 25,479,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I am really learning some new things here. I appreciate the replies. I didn't know steaming had gone so upscale. :-)
If you have a place to put it, you might want to consider getting a microwave in the future. I've seen brand new microwaves as cheap as $49.99 at Lidl, on a weekly special. Aldi sells them very cheaply too. Aldi has fresh Brussels sprouts in the produce aisle that can be steamed in the bag. Some frozen vegetables can be steamed in their bags, too.

You could probably get a used microwave even cheaper at a yard sale. You can't cook everything in a microwave oven, but they're very handy & are much more mainstream than in the past.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:22 PM

26,011 posts, read 2,064,470 times
Quote:
If you have a place to put it, you might want to consider getting a microwave in the future. I've seen brand new microwaves as cheap as $49.99 at Lidl, on a weekly special. Aldi sells them very cheaply too. Aldi has fresh Brussels sprouts in the produce aisle that can be steamed in the bag. Some frozen vegetables can be steamed in their bags, too.

You could probably get a used microwave even cheaper at a yard sale. You can't cook everything in a microwave oven, but they're very handy & are much more mainstream than in the past.

Good ideas, plus you can cook veg in them anytime. Fresh or frozen.
OP how did your meal turn out?

Old 03-08-2018, 12:35 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,419,589 times
Why wouldn't you just take it out of its packaging, put in on a cookie sheet lined with foil if you like and heat it up? It's not like it's something from Mars for heaven's sake! Can we not think for ourselves anymore?

Old 03-08-2018, 12:37 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,193,579 times
Quote:

They can be had for even less at Walmart or Target.

OP, since you are faced with a $40 cab fare for a trip to and from the grocery store, it might actually be less expensive for you to have groceries delivered from Amazon or Peapod if they are available in your area.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 PM

20,394 posts, read 25,479,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Why wouldn't you just take it out of its packaging, put in on a cookie sheet lined with foil if you like and heat that sucker up? It's not like it's something from Mars for heaven's sake! Can we not think for ourselves anymore?
It's from the steamer line. There's a sauce that provides the steam. You'd end up with sticky dehydrated food if you did it your way. I bought two of them. The General Tso chicken includes rice. The potstickers has dough for the potstickers & rice. If you ever bought potstickers, they use steam to cook, even if you just buy a bag of frozen potstickers.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:23 PM

33,199 posts, read 51,158,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Does anyone know a secret that ConAgra said can't be done but can? Crazy wording but seriously: At the store I saw and grabbed two Healthy Choice entrees that tempted me greatly. Now I get home to read that their Steamers are to be cooked in a microwave only. I do not have a microwave. I called them to ask if there was another way. Answer was no. The box does say not to cook them in a conventional oven or toaster oven. But, there is such a thing as boiling or cooking in a skillet. The ConAgra woman could not/would not recommend any other way than a microwave.

Has anyone else run into this problem and solved it? Thank you. hazelm
How people reheated food before microwaves?
Yes... in the oven or by immersing in hot water.
You might need to completely remove the food from the tray/bag and transfer to another, oven proof dish before putting it in the oven.
I would think that adding some water would keep the food nice and moist, then short by the end of reheating just add the sauce and stir.
Steaming in the original container by immersing in boiling water and heating on the stove top should work too.
The ConAgra woman had no imagination...

Old 03-08-2018, 01:29 PM

10,063 posts, read 2,679,119 times
You could avoid this dilemma by reading the label before you buy the food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink