U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:45 AM

21,248 posts, read 22,412,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Usually you can cook them in a regular oven.
Usually you can't, though. I have a couple of frozen dinner things in the freezer for "emergencies" and they almost universally come in plastic containers that can't be put in an oven or toaster oven.

It's odd, because I know that everyone lived without a microwave not too long ago, but I can't imagine not having one to reheat leftovers or defrost food (or nuke a burrito.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 08:49 AM

8,932 posts, read 7,078,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Usually you can't, though. I have a couple of frozen dinner things in the freezer for "emergencies" and they almost universally come in plastic containers that can't be put in an oven or toaster oven.
Huh?? Put the food on a baking tray or in an oven safe dish.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:44 AM

7,340 posts, read 3,585,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There are a lot of frozen dinners that can be prepared either in the microwave or in the oven. They often come in paper trays rather than plastic (Stouffers Lasagna comes to mind)

Old 03-09-2018, 11:52 AM

4,590 posts, read 1,452,192 times
my hubs accidentally bought frozen steam in a bag veggies instead of plain old frozen veggies. We do not use a microwave, don't even own one.

I cooked them in a pan on the stove like they were normal frozen veggies and they were terrible. It's obvious that they treat them somehow so they can be cooked on a microwave. They were nasty.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:32 PM

2,285 posts, read 1,415,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's from the steamer line. There's a sauce that provides the steam. You'd end up with sticky dehydrated food if you did it your way. I bought two of them. The General Tso chicken includes rice. The potstickers has dough for the potstickers & rice. If you ever bought potstickers, they use steam to cook, even if you just buy a bag of frozen potstickers.
So steam them on the stovetop. People should use their initiative.

And whoever Janet Bubby is who sent me a sanctimonious rep comment. Grow up.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:30 PM

17,852 posts, read 5,758,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
my hubs accidentally bought frozen steam in a bag veggies instead of plain old frozen veggies. We do not use a microwave, don't even own one.

I cooked them in a pan on the stove like they were normal frozen veggies and they were terrible. It's obvious that they treat them somehow so they can be cooked on a microwave. They were nasty.
Interesting, makes one wonder what they add to those nukeable foods...fake foods I call them.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:21 PM

2,001 posts, read 733,625 times
I have no mental picture of what a so-called healthy choice meal could possibly be. But if it were me, I would unwrap it and look and see what is in there, and then use common sense to figure out a way to prepare the various ingredients.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:33 PM

1,441 posts, read 892,105 times
Quote:

Really? I have steam in the bag vegetables in the freezer and have sauteed, roasted and steamed them in a pan with no problem. They taste like regular non steam in a bag vegetables. Just checked the ingredients of the ones I have now. The green beans read "Ingredients: Green beans", the peas read "Ingredients: Peas". Unless you have the ones that include a sauce the steam in bag are just the named vegetable with no other contents.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:24 PM

7,340 posts, read 3,585,068 times
Quote:

I just looked at the bag of steam in bag brussels sprouts (Pictsweet) , and literally the only ingredient is brussels sprouts.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 AM

4,326 posts, read 5,102,877 times
There's been a fad going around about microwaved food being "bad" for us.
Nuking/steaming veggies is extremely convenient, as well as perfectly safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink