U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 09:55 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,698,301 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know a secret that ConAgra said can't be done but can? Crazy wording but seriously: At the store I saw and grabbed two Healthy Choice entrees that tempted me greatly. Now I get home to read that their Steamers are to be cooked in a microwave only. I do not have a microwave. I called them to ask if there was another way. Answer was no. The box does say not to cook them in a conventional oven or toaster oven. But, there is such a thing as boiling or cooking in a skillet. The ConAgra woman could not/would not recommend any other way than a microwave.

Has anyone else run into this problem and solved it? Thank you. hazelm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 10:11 AM

10,997 posts, read 8,790,245 times
I imagine you can throw it in the oven if you remove it from the plastic container and remove the plastic film. No clue how it would taste but it would warm it up.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:23 AM

8,945 posts, read 7,099,625 times
It's food. Take it out the plastic tray and warm it in an over.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:43 AM

My thought, also. I even asked her how she would reheat any leftover. She does not reheat because it is a one-person serving. For whom? Just get rid of the plastic and put it in my glass casserole. Don't know where my mind went when I read that line to not use an oven. It's because of the plastic. Thanks for reminding me. 350 F for half an hour? There is no meat in either of them.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:46 AM

20,391 posts, read 25,479,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Does anyone know a secret that ConAgra said can't be done but can? Crazy wording but seriously: At the store I saw and grabbed two Healthy Choice entrees that tempted me greatly. Now I get home to read that their Steamers are to be cooked in a microwave only. I do not have a microwave. I called them to ask if there was another way. Answer was no. The box does say not to cook them in a conventional oven or toaster oven. But, there is such a thing as boiling or cooking in a skillet. The ConAgra woman could not/would not recommend any other way than a microwave.

Has anyone else run into this problem and solved it? Thank you. hazelm
I bought them, specifically, to get the steamers. The sauce is in the bowl & provides the steam to cook the food. Either return them to the grocery store or take them apart, put the sauce in the bottom of a pot that has a lid, add a few drops of water, then put the food on top. Put the lid on the pot, & heat on medium low until the food is cooked.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I bought them, specifically, to get the steamers. The sauce is in the bowl & provides the steam to cook the food. Either return them to the grocery store or take them apart, put the sauce in the bottom of a pot that has a lid, add a few drops of water, then put the food on top. Put the lid on the pot, & heat on medium low until the food is cooked.

They put sauce in a bowl to produce steam to heat food? Fascinating. I'd take one apart just to see that. Then perhaps do it your way. That sounds good.

Yes, if the store were just down the street, I'd simply return them. But I take a cab and round trip adds up to 40-some dollars. Of course, I bought other things also but my trips out there are rare.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2018, 10:56 AM

1,725 posts, read 729,642 times
They probably aren't allowed recommend any other way. It's what's on the package, so that's all they can tell you. But yes, I am guessing putting it in a glass container and popping it in the oven will work just fine

Oh they are steamers, missed that part. I would try what southbound recommended.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:01 AM

I agree. I even asked if a chef could tell us another way. She said if there were another way, it would be on the box. I see their point though. If the dish is not oven proof and someone sticks it in the oven - oops! I have a set of containers that are "from freezer to oven" type. But the lids are plastic, used for storing in the fridge. I am now short three lids! You know the rest.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
My thought, also. I even asked her how she would reheat any leftover. She does not reheat because it is a one-person serving. For whom? Just get rid of the plastic and put it in my glass casserole. Don't know where my mind went when I read that line to not use an oven. It's because of the plastic. Thanks for reminding me. 350 F for half an hour? There is no meat in either of them.
These are absolutely single servings for anyone except a small child. Use a pot on the stove. These use steam provided by the sauce. I got the General Tso chicken & the potstickers. Whatever you got, there's probably a version by someone else that can be cooked in an oven. If you can return them & swap for a version that can be cooked in the oven, do that. I bought them to get the bowl & steamer for other purposes.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
They put sauce in a bowl to produce steam to heat food? Fascinating. I'd take one apart just to see that. Then perhaps do it your way. That sounds good.

Yes, if the store were just down the street, I'd simply return them. But I take a cab and round trip adds up to 40-some dollars. Of course, I bought other things also but my trips out there are rare.

Thanks
Steaming is the new thing. It's like the vegetables that you steam in the bag that they come in, except in this case, the sauce provides the cooking steam & it thickens the sauce. That's why I said to add a few drops of water in a pan, because you'll lose more water to evaporation in a pot. When you cook these entrees in the microwave you neither remove nor vent the plastic film on top, but the plastic is more porous than a metal pot. Still, you'll have more condensation on the metal lid. Literally, wet a hand & flick some moisture onto the sauce. Any additional, measurable, water will dilute the sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink