U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:26 PM

18,975 posts, read 10,032,914 times

Advertisements

No need to eat breakfast if you aren't hungry but the reality is that you are ingesting calories in your hot chocolate coffee, but empty ones with no nutritional value. Try skipping the hot chocolate to see if you are actually hungry without that hunger being masked by empty calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 08:58 PM

2,461 posts, read 1,200,617 times
I was told that you should consume more of your caloric intake at breakfast. Not only this jumpstarts your metabolism, but it gives your body all day to burn off food. I think the saying goes: "Eat like a king at breakfast .... and eat like a peasant at dinner. The goal is to eat the most food at first, then gradually, eat less throughout the day.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I'm not a breakfast eater, either....but if you're worried about calories, breakfast is the time to eat them! Just go easy the rest of the day!
See, this doesn't work for me. When I am on a caloric deficit (trying to lose weight) if I eat calories ealy in the day, I am just ravenous for the rest of my waking hours, especially the 2-3 hours before I go to bed. Often I'll end up giving in and end up well over my maximum calories for the day.

On the other hand, If I can push through hunger early in the day, it goes away until I have my afternoon and evening meals, then I am satiated until I sleep.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 PM

163 posts, read 238,453 times
I eat breakfast, I just don't eat it until noon - 1:00pm.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:10 AM

6,122 posts, read 5,147,846 times
I find that if I eat breakfast (especially one with carbs), it stimulates my appetite and I'm hungrier all day. The longer I fast during the day, the less hungry I am, and the less I eat.

After my youngest daughter's birth, 26 years ago, I needed to lose 25 pounds of baby weight. I started eating ONE meal a day...dinner. Now it's known as "intermittent fasting", but people back then just called it "crazy" or "unhealthy". I skipped breakfast and lunch, drinking only black coffee and calorie free drinks throughout the day. I wasn't hungry all day, and had lots of energy. I lost over 30 pounds in two months. Even now, if a few pounds start creeping up, I follow that same practice...skip breakfast AND lunch.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 03-10-2018 at 03:20 AM..

Old 03-10-2018, 03:57 AM

908 posts, read 519,793 times
Quote:
I hate breakfast. What is the minimum I should eat?
a glazed donut with your first cup of coffee..a scrambled egg, bacon and cheese sandwich for your second cup of coffee..

Old 03-10-2018, 04:25 AM

1,811 posts, read 5,393,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I started eating ONE meal a day...dinner. Now it's known as "intermittent fasting", but people back then just called it "crazy" or "unhealthy". I skipped breakfast and lunch, drinking only black coffee and calorie free drinks throughout the day. I wasn't hungry all day, and had lots of energy. I lost over 30 pounds in two months. Even now, if a few pounds start creeping up, I follow that same practice...skip breakfast AND lunch.
WOW. I am afraid if I tried that, I'd have 3 helpings of dinner....how much did you eat at dinner?? And did you eat whatever you wanted?

I appreciated the post about the Keto diet (I looked into it) and like the idea of hard boiled eggs combined with some other things.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:42 AM

230 posts, read 107,048 times
Eh, I was the same exact way growing up. For some reason when I was a child, I handled breakfast fine. It seemed like when I got to middle school, high school, and college that I could not stomach it at all. I would feel sick if I ate right away when I got up in the morning. Although, from time to time I would experience nausea a few hours into my morning and before lunch probably because of an empty stomach. I always wanted to gag when people woke up and the first thing they said in the morning was, "I'm hungry." because I couldn't stomach the idea. These days, I can handle breakfast in the morning and often times even need to eat a little bit of something with protein.

I had other family members on one side of the family that were this way, too. I'm not sure why this is. Part of me wants to attribute it to high sugared breakfast foods because I do remember growing up, what was for breakfast? Well, there were muffins...sugar. Sometimes there were donuts...sugar. Other times there were protein bars/energy bars...might as well been candy bars...sugar. Toaster waffles...well, can't leave out the syrup...sugar. Slices of toast....sugar. Instant oatmeal...more sugar than I want to think about in a tiny packet. Fruits...healthier, but still...sugar/fructose first thing in the morning. When I didn't eat these foods in the morning and instead did more of a protein based and less sugar based, I could handle breakfast. I wondered if it was the sugar content that would make me sick because it's high amounts of sugar on an empty stomach.

Honestly, if you're not hungry, don't eat. A little bit of fasting from a meal isn't a terrible thing unless perhaps you're a diabetic or have some medical condition that you definitely need to eat. I remember having a friend throughout middle school, high school, and college that would always say, "Most important meal of the day," well who says? Then they would tell me that my organs and insides are eating themselves because I didn't eat breakfast. Although, I remember asking medical professionals on this and while they don't recommend skipping breakfast, they didn't believe my body was going into extreme starvation mode as to eat it's own organs and they're probably right.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:43 AM

6,122 posts, read 5,147,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
WOW. I am afraid if I tried that, I'd have 3 helpings of dinner....how much did you eat at dinner?? And did you eat whatever you wanted?

I appreciated the post about the Keto diet (I looked into it) and like the idea of hard boiled eggs combined with some other things.
I didn't stuff myself until I was uncomfortable, but I pretty much ate until I was full, whatever I wanted for dinner, then nothing after that. And the weight just fell off. I ended up thinner than I was before I got pregnant.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:37 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
i eat lots of eggs......scrambled throw in some cheese season ..... its quick easy and tasty..

also have left overs from last nights dinner...

i stay away from sugar and carbs or i will be hungry in an hour and over eat ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink