U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 10:25 AM

11,376 posts, read 6,551,454 times

Advertisements

Snow crabs are very common in the U.S., and Dungeness crabs on the west coast. I prefer the eastern, "blue claw" hard shell crab you find in the Chesapeake Bay, but are also common to the coast from New Jersey down a ways, and also in the Gulf. I don't think I have ever had King crab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 01:07 PM

165 posts, read 48,005 times
As a long-time Marylander and worshipper of that Delicious Chesapeake Delicacy, I'm appalled that the uninformed are allowed to speak of King, Snow or, what?, Hermit crabs as though they are acceptable substitutes for my baby Blues! You are yelling FIRE! in this theatre and should be banished by the Mods!

Old 03-10-2018, 03:06 PM

11,234 posts, read 7,120,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
doesn't sell well in maine....but maine is huge on lobsters....

also the crab legs are more expensive than lobsters

i use to go lobster-fishing years ago and always have a pot going and we'd cook many crabs and dip in butter.....not as good as lobster but close
I enjoy have a good lobster here and there but the flavor profile of lobster just can't beat king crabs. Now my favorite thing to do is to drink the water from the king crab shell. It's just as succulent as fresh clam juice but sweeter. It just tastes like the ocean.

Lobster tails are cheweyer and requires butter or some seasoning but I never ever season king crab meat. Even if it's not cooked in a brine it is just more complex.

While I can understand that king crab is expensive but it's that much more lobster prices and you don't need to eat a lot. 2 king crab legs should costs about $27-30, a typical 2 lb lobster cooked is about the same price in a diner.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:34 PM

296 posts, read 77,853 times
Sure but you have to know where to get them. We go to Asian markets for them. Otherwise, when we do see them in supermarkets they are quite expensive.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:56 PM

2,242 posts, read 1,639,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
The "legs" are the only good part, with lots of meat...that's why only the legs are sold! King crab is a TOUGH shell to crack....snow crabs are much easier. Not much meat in the body.
That's what I thought. That's what I like. Not cheap I admit, but oh so good. Better than lobster especially dipped in melted butter.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:02 PM

3,169 posts, read 1,607,665 times
Pacific Ocean crab, whether fresh or frozen, is going to be more common on the west coast than on the east.... just as Lobster is more common on the east coast than the west.

These are delicate animals, hard to keep alive, and worthless if they die prior to being cooked. I think the east coast should be happy to have frozen cooked crab, that is the safest and most affordable way to transport it. The key is to realize it is already cooked. Thaw it but don't cook it again! It's good cold served on ice or dip it in hot butter if you wish to warm it a little. Put it in a warm cream sauce with pasta, but don't cook it.

Of course, people who think King crab is the best, have never had Dungeness. But maybe that should be our Washington secret.

On edit: Crab molt in summer and all crab is harvested in winter. Never in summer. Anything you buy in summer is not fresh.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:36 PM

10,116 posts, read 10,833,865 times
NYC is a long ways from Alaska. It's tough to get fresh lobster here on the left coast, and frozen lobster just doesn't do it. I'm sure the opposite is true for king crabs, though the local Dungeness crab is the preferred crab off the Oregon coast.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 1,975,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
King-crab is not part of the American diet and never was, so there's little call for it at grocery stores.
I've seen it at grocery stores in just about every place I've lived in the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Of course, people who think King crab is the best, have never had Dungeness. But maybe that should be our Washington secret.
I've had dungeness, and definitely prefer good snow and king crab legs over them. By "good" I mean not the watery crap at Chinese buffets where someone is always timing their run to hoard the fresh good ones. I'm not sure it's much of a secret, most of the millions of tourists to the SF Bay area have seen 'em on menus.

I like blues from VA/MD better than dungeness as well.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:37 PM

1,405 posts, read 844,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

On edit: Crab molt in summer and all crab is harvested in winter. Never in summer. Anything you buy in summer is not fresh.
East coast blue claw crabs are trapped from late spring and until late summer.
In winter the blue claw crabs hibernate in the mud. Some crabbers dredge them up but most blue claws are taken in summer.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:21 PM

166,072 posts, read 73,457,907 times
Off all the shell fish king crab is my favorite. At the price it is reserved for a once or twice a year treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink