U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:11 PM

973 posts, read 351,999 times

Advertisements

I have to wonder how many people know what crabs eat ................then they eat the crabs.

What do crabs eat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 12:32 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,044,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
I have to wonder how many people know what crabs eat ................then they eat the crabs.

What do crabs eat
This is true for most shellfish and many land animals. Don't get to excited if you're a vegetarian or vegan....Animal waste is used as compost.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:08 PM

4,104 posts, read 1,535,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Then I think even your horse will love it.
I love horses but I'd NEVER waste King crab on one!

If I was given the option to pack, freeze, transport, re-package, and display an entire King crab versus the legs only, guess what I'd choose? I suspect that pound for pound there's more delectable meat in the legs, not the entire beast. Diners would need sledge hammers to crack them. Havoc with flying crab shells! Can you imaging hauling home the entire crab on the back seat of your car?

I live in Dungeness country and would happily live on it if my hands could tolerate the abuse.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-11-2018 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm with the others who addressed this post. Only thing I can think of is you are in the middle of the country and don't have the exposure to shel fish those near the coast have. Now granted I live in Maryland and blue crabs are to us what BBQ is to Memphis. But shellfish are huge anywhere near both coasts.

As for the OP I have never seen live king crabs here but that would make sense, we are thousands of miles from where they are harvested. When we were in Alaska I was hoping there would be these guys in trucks selling king crabs by the side of the road like they do here with blue crabs. Sadly I learned they can make more money shipping them to Seattle and selling them wholesale.
Many years ago while on temporary assignment near Kearney NE we went to a local steakhouse that had a monthly "King crab feed". Obviously previously frozen legs. However they managed it, that huge pile of legs with melted butter was absolutely fabulous after weeks of midwest generic grocery store variations of the ubiquitous steak and potatoes. Never forgot it.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Growing up out on the Alaska Peninsula we had all the king crab we wanted. For free. I just can't bring myself to pay $30 a pound or more for frozen.
Feel the same way about salmon. Have a problem paying retail or restaurant prices for it after spending months in research field camps near salmon streams. One camp situation that's all we had to eat for days at a time when the weather closed down the re-supply flights from town. Got heartily sick of it; breakfast, lunch, dinner ad nauseum. Couldn't even grill it after the bear stepped on our wimpy little camping grill. With stale Pilot Bread! Now THAT'S hungry!

Old 03-11-2018, 06:31 PM

11,423 posts, read 19,433,663 times
I usually go to my local fish monger and buy crab meat. The work is done. Then I make Mary Ann Esposito’s crab cakes, which are all crab, no filler.

Little Crab Cakes

Old 03-11-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:

What do crabs eat
Then they are even more of a miracle of nature than ever. I don't want to know how they do it, but they manage to create very very tasty substances out of it.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:24 PM

11,818 posts, read 7,691,265 times
Quote:

What do crabs eat
What crabs eat just like other bottom dwellers eats produces DHA Omega-3 fatty acids.

A mediterranean diet calls for lots of servings of fresh seafood that are rich in omega 3 like Squid and Octopus, shrimp, crabs, and clams that have lots of zinc and will boost your immune systems. My grandmother grew up eating seafood everyday and never took cold medicine or get any flu shot.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:28 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
Quote:
I have to wonder how many people know what crabs eat ................then they eat the crabs...
Yeah, well I eat the crabs, not what the crabs eat.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:47 AM

2,038 posts, read 2,778,511 times
I've never eaten fresh whole king crabs before due to price. My local grocery stores (H-Mart, Lotte, Fresh World Market, etc) don't carry whole live king crabs.

I have eaten previously frozen king crab legs (bought from Costco usually). They're delicious, but I personally prefer Dungeness Crabs (which we get whole / live in my area). Much more affordable and the meat is way more substantial than Maryland Blue Crabs. Stir fry them with tomatoes and garlic. Yumm!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink