U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 02:56 PM

7,444 posts, read 10,252,612 times

Advertisements

No, around here we hold out for Dungeness.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 03:05 PM

970 posts, read 383,535 times
It is very common to see live King Crabs in the markets of Japan and South Korea and even as south as Hong Kong.

I believe they are probably Russian King Crabs -- caught in the waters on the other side of the Bering Strait.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:40 PM

16,179 posts, read 25,159,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post

Russian King Crabs
Do they call them "tsar crabs" in Russia?

Old 03-12-2018, 08:28 PM

11,649 posts, read 7,514,647 times
I just found some cooked frozen King Crab legs at Costcos at $23.99/lb. Not bad however it's cooked in brine, I hate cooked frozen crab legs in brine. Completely ruins the natural flavor of the crab.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:29 PM

297 posts, read 215,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It seems king crab is non-existent at American supermarkets even at high end markets all I see is frozen king crab legs and no fresh ones.

Over by me there are 3-4 H-Marts that are Korean Supermarket. They always have live King Crabs, for $30/lb it does seem expensive but it's actually not that bad when you compare the amount of meat vs blue crabs that goes for about $12-15/lb and it's comparing a sunflower seed to a walnut.

I always find that soft shell blue crabs is the way to eat and it's less messy and more enjoyable. Eating king crab legs and claws are even more enjoyable the flavor is amazing compare to snow and dungeness crabs.

While I like lobster too but you can't compare king crabs to lobsters, the flavor profile of king crab is just richer and sophisticated.
Assuming you live in America, H-Mart is an American chain selling food to Americans. Just because they also have a lot of ethnic foods doesn't make them not "american". Unless you're actually flying to Korea to buy your King Crab...

Also, King Crab is an Alaskan species, so again, it is by default "american"...

Old 03-13-2018, 06:27 AM

4,512 posts, read 2,155,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
I have to wonder how many people know what crabs eat ................then they eat the crabs.

What do crabs eat
Chickens (at least the ones that aren't raised in a 10" box) spend their lives pecking at anything that moves on the ground, and often at things that don't.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:36 AM

11,564 posts, read 16,861,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I cannot stand crabs, so no for me. No shellfish at all please.
That's good to know. Thank you for the inut..lol

Old 03-13-2018, 10:57 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,524,607 times
Quote:
I just found some cooked frozen King Crab legs at Costcos at $23.99/lb. Not bad however it's cooked in brine, I hate cooked frozen crab legs in brine. Completely ruins the natural flavor of the crab.
Seawater is basically brine tho....

Old 03-14-2018, 08:02 AM

14,173 posts, read 17,225,890 times
Quote:
Just for the sake of accuracy, the crabs are not cooked in.brine. they are only frozen in brine. Which is why i wash them before cooking, making sure i shake the water out and get them as dry as possible . The briney flavor is mostly on the shell, not in the meat.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:47 PM

931 posts, read 328,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This is true for most shellfish and many land animals. Don't get to excited if you're a vegetarian or vegan....Animal waste is used as compost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Then they are even more of a miracle of nature than ever. I don't want to know how they do it, but they manage to create very very tasty substances out of it.
Quote:
What crabs eat just like other bottom dwellers eats produces DHA Omega-3 fatty acids.

A mediterranean diet calls for lots of servings of fresh seafood that are rich in omega 3 like Squid and Octopus, shrimp, crabs, and clams that have lots of zinc and will boost your immune systems. My grandmother grew up eating seafood everyday and never took cold medicine or get any flu shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Yeah, well I eat the crabs, not what the crabs eat.

It's really hard to understand why people eat carrion eaters. There is lot's of living sea food to eat. Oh, well.........

Define carrion: dead and putrefying flesh; also : flesh unfit for food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink